Jazz 'Keeping Very Interested Eye On' Luka Doncic

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jazz 'Keeping Very Interested Eye On' Luka Doncic 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 5, 2023 4:30 pm

The Dallas Mavericks have concerns within their franchise that Luka Doncic could request a trade as early as the 2024 offseason, which would alter the league given his age and status as one of the top-5 players in the NBA.

The Utah Jazz have accumulated a surplus of draft picks over the past year with their trades of Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert, which could put them in position to assemble one of the more compelling offers to the Mavericks while also leaving enough of a supporting cast around Doncic to remain competitive. The Jazz could likely outbid almost any team for Doncic.

"With my spies telling me that Utah in particular is keeping a very interested eye on Doncic’s situation, even the Nets’ kitchen-sink offer for Doncic — the four firsts from Phoenix and one from Philly, plus whatever matching salary not named Bridges is needed to make the deal work — likely falls massively short," wrote John Hollinger at The Athletic. 

If Doncic were to seek an exit from the Mavericks, it has yet to be seen which teams he would prefer a trade to. 

Via John Hollinger/The Athletic

DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Re: Jazz 'Keeping Very Interested Eye On' Luka Doncic 

Post#2 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri May 5, 2023 8:58 pm

Come on, John. Quit playing it safe. Give us an article speculating about what the Mexico City Toros can offer Doncic in 2028 :roll:
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#3 » by tigerae » Fri May 5, 2023 9:35 pm

Not sure why the Jazz think they have a chance at Luka. Sorry but Utah isn't a destination most free agents want to go to so they are better off trying to build through the draft again. Stockton and Malone, Deron Williams, Mitchell and Gobert, etc. I don't really remember the last time a big name free agent signed with the Jazz. Boozer could count I guess even though it took Boozer going against his word and them overpaying him.

If Luka becomes available, he would look to go to Miami, New York, LA as top destinations.
Theagreement
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Theagreement » Fri May 5, 2023 11:35 pm

tigerae wrote:Not sure why the Jazz think they have a chance at Luka. Sorry but Utah isn't a destination most free agents want to go to so they are better off trying to build through the draft again. Stockton and Malone, Deron Williams, Mitchell and Gobert, etc. I don't really remember the last time a big name free agent signed with the Jazz. Boozer could count I guess even though it took Boozer going against his word and them overpaying him.

If Luka becomes available, he would look to go to Miami, New York, LA as top destinations.

I don’t know if market size matters as much as it used to. The big market teams still hold appeal, but less-so for foreign players. The internet has made the media world flat. Big dollars follow talent. The point of the article is Utah can offer Dallas the most, and the Mavericks prerogative here matters more than Luka’s. Sure, superstar players have forced their way to teams of their choice. But usually those stars are on the backend of their second or third deal. Not under 25 on a rookie extension. Point is, who can offer the most appealing package to Dallas will be the team in the lead. And unless Luka threw a public fit, he’d have to deal with it/wait until he’s a restricted FA. He’s young enough to wait it out without damaging his personal brand by offending an entire fan base.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,889

Post#5 » by Merit » Sun May 7, 2023 4:35 am

Jazz interested in the next bird. What a surprise.

Did Danny ainge actually suggest he might trade his picks? Or is this the AD situation all over again?
I believe in Masai.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Post#6 » by Calinks » Sun May 7, 2023 5:31 am

There is absolutely zero chance Dallas is trading him unless he demands loud and clear that he wants to get out. Even then they will probably try and keep him.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.

Return to Wiretap Discussion