Bucks Could Wait For Head Coach Under Contract With Another Team To Become Available

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bucks Could Wait For Head Coach Under Contract With Another Team To Become Available 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 5, 2023 8:00 pm

The Milwaukee Bucks have a critical decision to make with their next head coach after firing Mike Budenholzer and may take their time with the process to see if a candidate under contract with another team becomes available.

Assistant coach Charles Lee is a probable candidate, while Frank Vogel and Nick Nurse are also potential candidates for the job.

"Outside of the team, I think you look not just at coaches who are available in the marketplace, but Milwaukee is in a position where maybe they can wait out some coaches who are technically not available," said Adrian Wojnarowski on NBA Countdown on Thursday. "Still under contract with other teams. See how these playoffs play out. Is there a coach or two who either becomes free with the team they're at, or if there is a conversation to be had with a team about a potential coach."

While no head coaches were specifically mentioned by Wojnarowski in his report, Doc Rivers and Ty Lue are two logical fits considering their current situations and status as championship winning coaches.  

The Bucks remain an attractive job given the presence of Giannis Antetokounmpo. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Re: Bucks Could Wait For Head Coach Under Contract With Another Team To Become Available 

Post#2 » by PerfectJab » Fri May 5, 2023 9:19 pm

What is the current situation that is being spoken of?

All of the unemployed coaches have championship pedigree and were let go recently and the ones that haven't but potentially might may have championship pedigree as well.

The point of the article is to point out that the Bucks will consider all coaching options? :lol:

An article for the sake of an article. Glad the article quota requirement was filled.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Bucks Could Wait For Head Coach Under Contract With Another Team To Become Available 

Post#3 » by alienpick » Fri May 5, 2023 9:33 pm

Ty Lue never won a championship as Head Coach. Everyone knows Lebron coached that team. Lue hasn't sniffed a championship since Lebron.

... and Rivers won ONE chip FIFTEEN years ago.

Neither are great choices. I'd rather go with Nurse than those two.
toshiro_mifune
Freshman
And1: 101

Post#4 » by toshiro_mifune » Fri May 5, 2023 11:57 pm

PerfectJab wrote:What is the current situation that is being spoken of?

All of the unemployed coaches have championship pedigree and were let go recently and the ones that haven't but potentially might may have championship pedigree as well.

The point of the article is to point out that the Bucks will consider all coaching options? :lol:

An article for the sake of an article. Glad the article quota requirement was filled.

Title of the post should be "Adrian Wojnarowski farts an opinion". Real news is hard, why bother when the value of the click for dumb speculation is the same?
NightWatch
Junior
And1: 421

Post#5 » by NightWatch » Sat May 6, 2023 1:25 am

Why would anyone in their right mind wanted to coach the Bucks when giannis cannot be bothered to make his damn free throws?!
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 146

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Sat May 6, 2023 2:13 am

Why is rivers picture on this article ?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#7 » by the_process » Sat May 6, 2023 2:29 am

Rivers would be a perfect fit in Milwaukee. Let’s discuss compensation.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 146

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Sat May 6, 2023 3:57 am

the_process wrote:Rivers would be a perfect fit in Milwaukee. Let’s discuss compensation.

How about get paid with crack?
Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Post#9 » by Medbrat » Sat May 6, 2023 6:41 am

Doc would be perfect for them, they can hang on the dogs on him after another giannis' failure and people will believe them due to Doc's rep.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,949

Post#10 » by Jabroni Lames » Sat May 6, 2023 7:48 am

How many playoff series has Nurse won since Kawhi left Toronto? Overrated coach.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#11 » by haste10176 » Sat May 6, 2023 11:05 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:How many playoff series has Nurse won since Kawhi left Toronto? Overrated coach.

Doc is by far the most overated coach the previous coach of the 76ers was called bad and you can easily argue doc has achieved less with more..
haste10176
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by haste10176 » Sat May 6, 2023 11:07 am

Medbrat wrote:Doc would be perfect for them, they can hang on the dogs on him after another giannis' failure and people will believe them due to Doc's rep.

Docs rep of only winning one title with multiple contender teams including the team he won only 1 title with of blowing 3 count it 3, 3-1 leads docs reputation is well founded Giannis was injured there were also coaching errors made that could of kept that series alive id take Vogel or Nurse and Ty Lue over doc any day
haste10176
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by haste10176 » Sat May 6, 2023 11:08 am

alienpick wrote:Ty Lue never won a championship as Head Coach. Everyone knows Lebron coached that team. Lue hasn't sniffed a championship since Lebron.

Vogel?
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 817

Post#14 » by kacey ring » Sat May 6, 2023 3:23 pm

How about Phil Jackson or Hubert Brown? :nod:
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 239

Post#15 » by tigerae » Sat May 6, 2023 6:33 pm

alienpick wrote:Ty Lue never won a championship as Head Coach. Everyone knows Lebron coached that team. Lue hasn't sniffed a championship since Lebron.

Considering how Lue has been keeping the Clippers afloat and competing to get in to the playoffs even with all of their injuries I'd say that's a win. I know LeBron haters think that he's LeGM and LeCoach on all his teams but facts prove otherwise. Truth is the Cavs changed and played much better once Lue took over.

Doc on the other hand, I agree and I would pick Nurse over him, too. Doc can prove us wrong if he can figure out how to get to the Finals this year.

Milwaukee, though, I think has roster problems going forward. Due to the aging of its current roster and the salary cap changes going forward. Especially because they are a small market team. No coach will really be able to help unless management finds ways to not only keep their roster but upgrade it as well.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,219

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun May 7, 2023 2:14 am

tigerae wrote:

Considering how Lue has been keeping the Clippers afloat and competing to get in to the playoffs even with all of their injuries I'd say that's a win. I know LeBron haters think that he's LeGM and LeCoach on all his teams but facts prove otherwise. Truth is the Cavs changed and played much better once Lue took over.

Doc on the other hand, I agree and I would pick Nurse over him, too. Doc can prove us wrong if he can figure out how to get to the Finals this year.

Milwaukee, though, I think has roster problems going forward. Due to the aging of its current roster and the salary cap changes going forward. Especially because they are a small market team. No coach will really be able to help unless management finds ways to not only keep their roster but upgrade it as well.

Naw, the Cavs played better when Blatt was fired because Lebron stopped pouting. He was refusing to run Blatt's sets and Lue came in and let Lebron do his thing. (Which to be fair, is a pretty good thing.) Lue in LAC has nothing to be proud of. They have had injuries but they also have at least 8 players that would start on most teams. Not the worst, but certainly the most overrated coach in the NBA today.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 239

Post#17 » by tigerae » Sun May 7, 2023 3:31 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
tigerae wrote:

Naw, the Cavs played better when Blatt was fired because Lebron stopped pouting. He was refusing to run Blatt's sets and Lue came in and let Lebron do his thing. (Which to be fair, is a pretty good thing.) Lue in LAC has nothing to be proud of. They have had injuries but they also have at least 8 players that would start on most teams. Not the worst, but certainly the most overrated coach in the NBA today.

The most overrated coach is definitely not accurate. The Clippers finished 5th seed ahead of the defending champions in a very competitive West even with all those injuries. Not only that, but they were in every game against the Suns with basically Russ being their best player after Kawhi went out.

I'd say Doc could have that title of most overrated, especially if they don't get to the Finals this season. He really underperformed with the Clippers and hasn't been able to take the Sixers deep in to the playoffs yet.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#18 » by the_process » Sun May 7, 2023 8:52 am

MitchB3 wrote:
the_process wrote:Rivers would be a perfect fit in Milwaukee. Let’s discuss compensation.

How about get paid with crack?

Atta boy for the insightful comment.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,219

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon May 8, 2023 12:52 am

tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
tigerae wrote:Considering how Lue has been keeping the Clippers afloat and competing to get in to the playoffs even with all of their injuries I'd say that's a win. I know LeBron haters think that he's LeGM and LeCoach on all his teams but facts prove otherwise. Truth is the Cavs changed and played much better once Lue took over.

The most overrated coach is definitely not accurate. The Clippers finished 5th seed ahead of the defending champions in a very competitive West even with all those injuries. Not only that, but they were in every game against the Suns with basically Russ being their best player after Kawhi went out.

I'd say Doc could have that title of most overrated, especially if they don't get to the Finals this season. He really underperformed with the Clippers and hasn't been able to take the Sixers deep in to the playoffs yet.

Westbrook is better than you think he is when he's surrounded by defensive wings that can shoot. LAC faced the Suns, who were thrown together a few weeks ago and they never had a shot. PHI has depth problems, is facing the arguably deepest team in the NBA and Embiid is injured.

But more importantly, people are always talking Lue up; Doc gets mostly trash talked these days. It's hard to be overrated when most people think your overrated, if you catch my meaning. I don't think many people would rate him as a top 10 coach in the NBA anymore.

Speaking of BOS, Udoka might be high on that list as well. He took a very deep team to the Finals in his first season, but that team would arguably have won with a better coach. Now we get to find out as he coaches HOU.

Return to Wiretap Discussion