Orlando To Bid To Host 2027 NBA All-Star Weekend

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Orlando To Bid To Host 2027 NBA All-Star Weekend 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 16, 2023 12:05 pm

The Orlando Magic and the city of Orlando are joining together in a bid to host the 2027 NBA All-Star Weekend. Orlando has previously hosted NBA All-Star Games in 1992 and 2012.

The 1992 NBA All-Star Game was held in the old Orlando Arena. That game saw Magic Johnson, who had retired before the 1991-92 season come out of retirement to play. Johnson went on to win MVP of the game.

The 2012 event was held in the Amway Center. Kevin Durant was named MVP of the game.

The Magic are expected to ask the city of Orlando and Orange County, Florida to approve over $250 million for upgrades to the 13-year-old Amway Center. The believe is that hosting All-Star Weekend will bring back far more in revenue to the Orlando area than it would cost to upgrade the Amway Center.

Via Ricard Bilbao/Orlando Business Journal

Cassalien
Sophomore
And1: 98

Re: Orlando To Bid To Host 2027 NBA All-Star Weekend 

Post#2 » by Cassalien » Wed May 17, 2023 12:09 am

I hope I misunderstood that. There is no way that the Magic (just like many other Franchises) ask for Governmental money.

According to this, they made quite a substantial amount of money over the last 13 years. Sure, there are still expenses to be paid off of those amounts but still.. being an owner of an NBA Team doesn't happen on accident aka without other sources of income, probably main sources of income.

Freaking dirtbags.. I hate the rich

Return to Wiretap Discussion