LeBron James Considering Retirement Following Western Conference Finals Loss

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

LeBron James Considering Retirement Following Western Conference Finals Loss 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 23, 2023 5:46 am

LeBron James is considering retirement after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept in the Western Conference Finals by the Denver Nuggets, sources told Chris Haynes of Bleacher Report.

James has "a lot to weigh," according to the source.

"I got a lot to think about. … just personally, with me moving forward with the game of basketball, I got a lot to think about," said James in his post-game press conference.

James is expected to take his time before making a decision on whether to return for his 21st season.

James currently has two years and $97 million left on his contract, which includes a player option. 

Via Chris Haynes/Bleacher Report

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 533

Re: LeBron James Considering Retirement Following Western Conference Finals Loss 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:51 am

James cannot allow the attention to be on Jokic and the Nuggets reaching the Finals for the first time. Zero class.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -V
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 120

Re: LeBron James Considering Retirement Following Western Conference Finals Loss 

Post#3 » by FreeBoosie » Tue May 23, 2023 10:07 am

TheCage4 wrote:James cannot allow the attention to be on Jokic and the Nuggets reaching the Finals for the first time. Zero class.

Thank you!! My thoughts exactly. Like dude shut up with this type of nonsense everytime u get embarrassed in the playoffs. He knew everyone except Bron sexuals/ESPN would be criticizing him for chickening out at the end of another playoff game AGAIN so he pulls this stunt lol
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 82

Post#4 » by t-rexCity » Tue May 23, 2023 12:01 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:James cannot allow the attention to be on Jokic and the Nuggets reaching the Finals for the first time. Zero class.

Thank you!! My thoughts exactly. Like dude shut up with this type of nonsense everytime u get embarrassed in the playoffs. He knew everyone except Bron sexuals/ESPN would be criticizing him for chickening out at the end of another playoff game AGAIN so he pulls this stunt lol

I get it. I'm not a LeBron fan either and he is big time diva that's for sure but he put up a fight in that game. He played hell of a game. Most diffinitely didn't chicken out. As much as there's LeBron fans, I can see there's as much irrational hate for him too.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#5 » by Blazers98 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:23 pm

The man's ego is too big to leave the NBA without a retirement tour. 100% he is not retiring this year.
This is all underhanded pressure to force the Lakers into win next year or draft his son.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#6 » by FecesOfDeath » Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 pm

No way he retiring when he's still waiting to play with his son Bronny, which, at the earliest, would be around October/November 2024.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,985

Post#7 » by dougthonus » Tue May 23, 2023 5:16 pm

FecesOfDeath wrote:No way he retiring when he's still waiting to play with his son Bronny, which, at the earliest, would be around October/November 2024.

An alternative take is that Bronny doesn't want to play with him. LeBron hinted at that earlier this year when he said it may not be Bronny's desire and he wasn't going to go against his wishes. It may be that he knows Bronny doesn't want this now, and so that carrot isn't worth hanging onto anymore.

That said, I'd be shocked if he didn't come back next year. I think this was just processing a lot of hurt / disappointment in the moment.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,602

Post#8 » by HiRez » Tue May 23, 2023 5:22 pm

Lol so now we have to endure yet another televised “Decision” event, followed next year by the inevitable “Return” when he un-retires.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,880

Post#9 » by Wildcat » Tue May 23, 2023 7:16 pm

This is sad as F because it's so incredibly transparent what he's doing. Very disappointed he's trying to dominate the sports waves.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#10 » by Knick4Real » Tue May 23, 2023 7:54 pm

No he's not :noway:
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#11 » by MegaK » Tue May 23, 2023 8:24 pm

Yo he done bro!??
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 23, 2023 9:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:
FecesOfDeath wrote:No way he retiring when he's still waiting to play with his son Bronny, which, at the earliest, would be around October/November 2024.

An alternative take is that Bronny doesn't want to play with him. LeBron hinted at that earlier this year when he said it may not be Bronny's desire and he wasn't going to go against his wishes. It may be that he knows Bronny doesn't want this now, and so that carrot isn't worth hanging onto anymore.

That said, I'd be shocked if he didn't come back next year. I think this was just processing a lot of hurt / disappointment in the moment.

I've actually thought this all along. Bronny will want to make a name for himself... he's already had to live as "Bronny" his whole life.

And Lebron shouldn't feel hurt. They overachieved. A healthy MEM team should have knocked them out in the first round. It's just a weird year.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 23, 2023 9:06 pm

And dag nabit... would somebody fix the frickin' boards already!!!
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#14 » by beefman » Tue May 23, 2023 9:20 pm

he wants to play with his son, he's not retiring. He's talking more about if he want to come back to the lakers next year
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Tue May 23, 2023 9:29 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:And Lebron shouldn't feel hurt. They overachieved. A healthy MEM team should have knocked them out in the first round. It's just a weird year.

The closest thing I can experience to this is I had a job interview once for a 500k+ a year job. I did 13 hours of interviewing across 7-8 different people on 3 different days and finished 2nd in the process where they hired a friend of the CEO instead of me. I probably overachieved to get that far, but it didn't make me feel any better.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,601

Post#17 » by dice » Wed May 24, 2023 12:21 am

Blazers98 wrote:The man's ego is too big to leave the NBA without a retirement tour. 100% he is not retiring this year.
This is all underhanded pressure to force the Lakers into win next year or draft his son.

MJ's ego is bigger and he didn't have a retirement tour...not exactly

6% chance that lebron never plays again
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 24, 2023 12:37 am

dougthonus wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:And Lebron shouldn't feel hurt. They overachieved. A healthy MEM team should have knocked them out in the first round. It's just a weird year.

The closest thing I can experience to this is I had a job interview once for a 500k+ a year job. I did 13 hours of interviewing across 7-8 different people on 3 different days and finished 2nd in the process where they hired a friend of the CEO instead of me. I probably overachieved to get that far, but it didn't make me feel any better.

Sure, but he didn't quit the last 15 times he lost the last game of the season and you didn't quit going on job interviews.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Wed May 24, 2023 12:53 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Sure, but he didn't quit the last 15 times he lost the last game of the season and you didn't quit going on job interviews.

Sure, I didn't say he would quit. I said I would be shocked if he quit, but was just really disappointed in the moment and that caused him to say these things out of the emotion of the moment. You stated that he shouldn't feel disappointed because he overachieved, I just said that isn't how it works. I'm sure he's crushed and probably thought he would win. You and I feel he overachieved, I just don't think LeBron feels that way.
@doug_thonus on twitter
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,534

Post#20 » by shadrock » Wed May 24, 2023 1:01 am

No hes not.

Return to Wiretap Discussion