Adrian Griffin 'Humbled' By Opportunity To Coach Title Contending Bucks

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Adrian Griffin 'Humbled' By Opportunity To Coach Title Contending Bucks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:06 pm

Adrian Griffin was introduced to the media as head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday. Griffin is a first time head coach with a team that won the championship two years ago and will enter next season with aspirations of winning another one.

"Let's be real," Griffin said. "What first-time head coach gets to coach the Milwaukee Bucks, with all the special talent on this team? I'm extremely humbled."

Griffin spent 15 year as an NBA assistant since the end of his eight-year NBA career.

"Yes, we have high expectations, but we're going to embrace them," Griffin said. "But it starts by getting to work. Never lose sight of the work involved. I think going undrafted and going the minor league route, it taught me the value of hard work. That's what we're going to build upon from day one."

Via ESPN

MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,377

Re: Adrian Griffin 'Humbled' By Opportunity To Coach Title Contending Bucks 

Post#2 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jun 8, 2023 3:27 pm

I always laugh when people misuse the word humbled.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,992

Post#3 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 8, 2023 4:52 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:I always laugh when people misuse the word humbled.

What do you mean? Makes sense to me:

adjective
made less proud, especially by awe or admiration, or by gratitude for help received, an undeserved advantage or honor, etc.:

The land is a perpetual gift; I am humbled like a stranger who is invited to dinner and fed the best food in the house.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#4 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jun 8, 2023 5:18 pm

Cassius wrote:

adjective
made less proud, especially by awe or admiration, or by gratitude for help received, an undeserved advantage or honor, etc.:

The land is a perpetual gift; I am humbled like a stranger who is invited to dinner and fed the best food in the house.

Why would someone being in awe of you make you less proud?

Why would someone expressing gratitude make you less proud?

Did he help someone?

Does any of this relate to the root word humble?

Being made head coach is the PROUDEST moment of his coaching career. It's not accurate or even remotely logical to say this made him feel less proud.
BeesKneesCs
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#5 » by BeesKneesCs » Thu Jun 8, 2023 7:20 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Cassius wrote:

adjective

Did he help someone?

Being made head coach is the PROUDEST moment of his coaching career. It's not accurate or even remotely logical to say this made him feel less proud.

Couldn't agree more, everyone misuses it at awards ceremonies. Nobody ever admits to being humbled in real time so if anyone ever says "I'm humbled by xyz" they mean they were honored. I might say 'I was humbled when the girl at the bar turned me down last night' but I sure wouldn't say I was 'humbled when the girl at the bar gave me her number when I asked for it.'
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#6 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jun 8, 2023 7:59 pm

BeesKneesCs wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Cassius wrote:

adjective

Did he help someone?

Couldn't agree more, everyone misuses it at awards ceremonies. Nobody ever admits to being humbled in real time so if anyone ever says "I'm humbled by xyz" they mean they were honored. I might say 'I was humbled when the girl at the bar turned me down last night' but I sure wouldn't say I was 'humbled when the girl at the bar gave me her number when I asked for it.'

Thank you!

Literally the proudest moment of his coaching career. Humbling is when you get swept by a better coach.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#7 » by Cassius » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:05 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:
BeesKneesCs wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

Did he help someone?

Thank you!

Literally the proudest moment of his coaching career. Humbling is when you get swept by a better coach.

No… you guys are describing humiliation. I literally posted a dictionary definition and you’re debating it.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/humbled

You can be humbled both for positive and negative reasons. It’s just a matter of perspective. This is the positive side, the negative side is what you’re describing. Being proud of this achievement means he thinks he deserves it. Being humbled by this achievement means he doesn’t think he deserves it as a first time head coach walking into a talent-laden roster (i.e. similar to impostor syndrome). Most first time head coaches are given lottery teams, he recognizes this, and so he’s going to work even harder for that reason. This is why he brought up his career starting from - wait for it - humble beginnings in the minor league as an undrafted player.

The irony here is that he beat out Nick Nurse, who waxed poetic about how proud he is of his 10 year run with the Raptors, right before the playoffs.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#8 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:10 pm

Cassius wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
BeesKneesCs wrote:

Thank you!

No… you guys are describing humiliation. I literally posted a dictionary definition and you’re debating it.

You can be humbled both for positive and negative reasons. It’s just a matter of perspective. This is the positive side, the negative side is what you’re describing. Being proud of this achievement means he thinks he deserves it. Being humbled by this achievement means he doesn’t think he deserves it as a first time head coach walking into a talent-laden roster (i.e. similar to impostor syndrome). Most first time head coaches are given lottery teams, he recognizes this, and so he’s going to work even harder for that reason. This is why he brought up his career starting from - wait for it - humble beginnings in the minor league as an undrafted player.

The irony here is that he beat out Nick Nurse, who waxed poetic about how proud he is of his 10 year run with the Raptors, right before the playoffs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cassius
RealGM

Post#9 » by Cassius » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:28 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Cassius wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Thank you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arguing with a dictionary... I love this site.

Return to Wiretap Discussion