Extension Decisions By Clippers On Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Is 'Biggest Subplot In NBA'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Extension Decisions By Clippers On Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Is 'Biggest Subplot In NBA' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:07 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers are potentially facing a crossroads with their roster as Kawhi Leonard and Paul George become extension available again this offseason. If there is a sense that one of those players, particularly George, might not be amenable to taking a sub-max extension, then they could become available in trade talks. The Clippers, however, are opening up a new arena in 2024 and there is an expectation that they will want to have the most competitive team possible at that point.

"The biggest subplot in the NBA that not enough people are talking about are Paul George and Kawhi Leonard with the Clippers being extension available," said "In Kawhi's case in July. I think in Paul George's case in September. I just don't think, based on what I've heard, that if those guys walk in the door and ask for four-year max extensions, I don't think the Clippers are just giving them to them.

"I think maybe on one or both... I mean Kawhi is a black box. I have no idea what's going on with Kawhi. Maybe in some quarters there would be a willingness to recognize the reality that 'we don't play enough for this' and there is negotiation wiggle room. But sometimes with stars, there isn't. Sometimes with stars you offend them by daring to negotiate. If that's the case, then there's another wild card in the market as soon as next week because if you know, like, this is not an unknown to the powers to be in Los Angeles, or with those representing those players. This is not an unknown playing field."

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Re: Extension Decisions By Clippers On Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Is 'Biggest Subplot In NBA' 

Post#2 » by Medbrat » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:11 pm

Try and trade them, if no then just move on, they're not worth the headache.
dragsleepr
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Extension Decisions By Clippers On Kawhi Leonard, Paul George Is 'Biggest Subplot In NBA' 

Post#3 » by dragsleepr » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:25 pm

Medbrat wrote:Try and trade them, if no then just move on, they're not worth the headache.

I think they're better served finding a team to take them both as opposed to trading them individually. Question is what do they bring back in return? That said I agree they need to move them. Cant have this headed to Intuit.
Anthoine
Junior
And1: 35

Post#4 » by Anthoine » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:36 pm

I’m ready for a rebuild. :banghead:
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,756

Post#5 » by ryguy613 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:54 pm

dragsleepr wrote:
Medbrat wrote:Try and trade them, if no then just move on, they're not worth the headache.

I think they're better served finding a team to take them both as opposed to trading them individually. Question is what do they bring back in return? That said I agree they need to move them. Cant have this headed to Intuit.

Can you think of a team off the top of your head that would want or could even afford to take back both players in the same trade? We're talking about over $90M in salary.
dragsleepr
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by dragsleepr » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:03 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
dragsleepr wrote:

Can you think of a team off the top of your head that would want or could even afford to take back both players in the same trade? We're talking about over $90M in salary.

nope lol especially with their injury history. Maybe in a salary dump for a tanking team, but then you're talking about at the deadline or too late when the season might be done for.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,110

Post#7 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:22 pm

George to the Blazers for Scoot and Simons plus trade filler

Leonard to the Heat for Herro and Lowry plus trade filler on the Clippers side

Clippers then trade their other vets as well - Batum, Covington, MMSr., Eric Gordon (if they pick up his team option), Powell

Rebuild around Scoot, Simons, Herro, Mann, Zubac, other young guys

I don't know, can't think of much else TBH. Hopefully though they don't re-sign both to long term deals.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,585

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:53 pm

How are two guys in their 30s, who have missed at least a half a season annually, each, over the last 4 years, to say nothing of the playoffs, not getting offered an extension even a story?

Did Lowe at least edit what the agency sent him?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,904

Post#9 » by deeps6x » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:12 am

Bobbymcgee wrote:George to the Blazers for Scoot and Simons plus trade filler

Clippers then trade their other vets as well - Batum, Covington, MMSr., Eric Gordon (if they pick up his team option), Powell

I don't know, can't think of much else TBH. Hopefully though they don't re-sign both to long term deals.

Trades can be made. Either one could possibly be flipped for another star that is always injured - Zion. With appropriate picks/filler attached. Assuming of course that New Orleans wants out of Zion's four year deal. If so, they can swap 40 game star players.

Salary dumped for Lowry and Herro, sure. Clippers would probably have to attach Covington or Batum to make salaries work. No picks. You might accidentally wind up creating a one or two year super team in Miami, but at least you wouldn't wind up paying $300 million for partial services rendered for the next handful of years to either of these two clowns.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#10 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:29 am

Don't extend either of them. Take the "risk" of them leaving as free agents.

Let them prove themselves to the Clippers that they can stay healthy this upcoming season so they are in the mix for a title.

Otherwise why sign players that can't stay on the court consistently.

I would wait until the deadline to potentially trade them and see where your at.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:46 am

No it isn't.... nobody cares.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Post#12 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:10 am

Blow it up, it's over
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#13 » by circa70 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:29 am

Bobbymcgee wrote:George to the Blazers for Scoot and Simons plus trade filler

Ha!!! Blazers are not taking Wayoff P for scoot & Simons. You’re out of your mind. I don’t even know if I take George for simons str8 up.

Maybe OKC takes back pandemic p for SGA, Jalen Williams, 4 first rounders & 3 pick swaps :lol:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#14 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:32 am

Kawhi Leonard for Austin Reaves and D'Angelo Russell in December
SkynMan
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#15 » by SkynMan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:45 am

Clippers shouldn't be afraid to negotiate a lower price for both of them. PG and KL want to be in LA more than the Clippers need them at full price on account of their body of work the past 3-4 seasons. Clippers hold the power
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#16 » by haste10176 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:57 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Kawhi Leonard for Austin Reaves and D'Angelo Russell in December

Deal.. I mean with Kawhi Lakers would be the favourite with the caveat of health
niha17
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#17 » by niha17 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:43 pm

n team should him either one any money anymore they never play they are irrelevant
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,206

Post#18 » by Dan33185 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:06 pm

Return to Wiretap Discussion