Kyrie Irving Expected To Re-Sign With Mavs, Negotiations Centered On Years, Guarantees

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Kyrie Irving Expected To Re-Sign With Mavs, Negotiations Centered On Years, Guarantees 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:30 pm

Kyrie Irving and the Dallas Mavericks are expected to agree to a new contract in free agency, though there will be some level of negotiation over the number of years and how much is guaranteed.

The Mavericks traded for Irving last February and his potential other landing spots have dwindled. 

"The market for Kyrie Irving, legitimate places that he would leave Dallas for, that make sense, that are available to him... it's extremely limited," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "Perhaps almost nil. I think the full expectation is that he returns in Dallas. The question will be what kind of deal he goes back on. How many years on a contract? I don't think the money will be as much of an issue as how many fully guaranteed years are there for Kyrie Irving. I think that's where the negotiation is going to be between he and the Mavericks.

"If he wants to maximize his money on this deal, the place to do that is in Dallas."

Irving is coming off a four-year, $141 million contract he signed with the Brooklyn Nets in 2019. Irving opted into his $37 million contract with the Nets during the 2022 offseason. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,227

Re: Kyrie Irving Expected To Re-Sign With Mavs, Negotiations Centered On Years, Guarantees 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:20 pm

Kyrie is a max level talent, but if I'm signing him, the contract would have some serious language around number of games played.

Something like:
Under 65 games it becomes partially guaranteed.
Under 50 games it becomes fully non-guaranteed.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,816

Re: Kyrie Irving Expected To Re-Sign With Mavs, Negotiations Centered On Years, Guarantees 

Post#3 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,210

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:45 pm

no f'ing guarantees

imo the mavs have him over a barrel there because no one in the league will give him guarantees.

he's burned that bridge
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#5 » by Lee in Oregon » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:18 am

Kyrie is not going to agree to any contract that specifies he actually plays basketball. If you don't know that, you don't know Kyrie.

Return to Wiretap Discussion