Anthony Edwards, Wolves Agree To Five-Year, $260M Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Anthony Edwards, Wolves Agree To Five-Year, $260M Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 3, 2023 5:05 pm

Anthony Edwards and the Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to a five-year, $260 million maximum Designated Rookie extension.

Edwards will receive the full amount if he makes an All-NBA team in 2024.

The two sides spent the weekend negotiating the finer points of the deal.

Edwards is represented by Bill Duffy and WME Sports.

Via Shams Charania, Jon Krawczynski/The Athletic

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Re: Anthony Edwards, Wolves Agree To Five-Year, $260M Extension 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 3, 2023 8:18 pm

Hot Take: Anthony Edwards is very good... but I am not convinced that he's "that guy". He gets his numbers as a volume shooter on a bad team. He was 15th in FGA last season and 231st in TS%. He was tied with Wiggins, Austin Rivers and Fultz. He had the worst AST/TO and STL/TO ratios in that group, and lets face it, that group is not exactly taking the league by storm. Wiggins looks great as the 4th option for GSW, but Edwards just got 1st option money. Time will tell.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#3 » by JCruz6 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 9:14 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Hot Take: Anthony Edwards is very good... but I am not convinced that he's "that guy". He gets his numbers as a volume shooter on a bad team. He was 15th in FGA last season and 231st in TS%. He was tied with Wiggins, Austin Rivers and Fultz. He had the worst AST/TO and STL/TO ratios in that group, and lets face it, that group is not exactly taking the league by storm. Wiggins looks great as the 4th option for GSW, but Edwards just got 1st option money. Time will tell.

While I agree right now, I still don't think Minnesota is doing him any favors.
Trading everything they did for Gobert hoping for what? A title run? Not gonna happen.

Gobert was exposed and Utah was hoping someone would bite on an asset they labeled as a liability.
I get it that Minny can make it work with Towns being able to shoot 3s, but last season didn't show anything.

Towns still can't stay on the floor.

Minny should rebuild around Edwards while he's getting ready for his prime years.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 3, 2023 9:45 pm

JCruz6 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Hot Take: Anthony Edwards is very good... but I am not convinced that he's "that guy". He gets his numbers as a volume shooter on a bad team. He was 15th in FGA last season and 231st in TS%. He was tied with Wiggins, Austin Rivers and Fultz. He had the worst AST/TO and STL/TO ratios in that group, and lets face it, that group is not exactly taking the league by storm. Wiggins looks great as the 4th option for GSW, but Edwards just got 1st option money. Time will tell.

While I agree right now, I still don't think Minnesota is doing him any favors.
Trading everything they did for Gobert hoping for what? A title run? Not gonna happen.

Gobert was exposed and Utah was hoping someone would bite on an asset they labeled as a liability.
I get it that Minny can make it work with Towns being able to shoot 3s, but last season didn't show anything.

Towns still can't stay on the floor.

Minny should rebuild around Edwards while he's getting ready for his prime years.

Yeah, the Towns/Gobert pairing looked bad on the day of the trade and I saw nothing through the season to hint that it might get better. Trading KAT for pieces to put around Edwards makes sense, but I seriously doubt he will ever be the best player on a contender. MIN will need more if they want to get to the top.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,383

Post#5 » by shrink » Mon Jul 3, 2023 11:54 pm

You’re not convinced that 21 year old can be “that guy?” Of course not.

That 21 year old is already an All Star, and led the league at getting to the rim. He has superhuman physical skills, and an incredible work ethic. What is he going to be at 23? 25? 28? We don’t know, but the sky if the limit, and MIN definitely should have locked him up on this contract.

The biggest thing to note here isn’t the max deal, but that Edwards didn’t want a player option in Year 5. Connelly couldn’t have said no if he asked. For MIN, who has never been a free agent destination, that commitment is huge.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:37 am

shrink wrote:You’re not convinced that 21 year old can be “that guy?” Of course not.

That 21 year old is already an All Star, and led the league at getting to the rim. He has superhuman physical skills, and an incredible work ethic. What is he going to be at 23? 25? 28? We don’t know, but the sky if the limit, and MIN definitely should have locked him up on this contract.

The biggest thing to note here isn’t the max deal, but that Edwards didn’t want a player option in Year 5. Connelly couldn’t have said no if he asked. For MIN, who has never been a free agent destination, that commitment is huge.

I guarantee he asked. If Edwards is ever the best player on a championship team then I'm wrong and I'll own it... but I doubt it will come to that. He is certainly capable of being the best player on an OK team.
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 82

Post#7 » by t-rexCity » Tue Jul 4, 2023 1:36 am

Biggest liability for Minnesota is KAT now. His potential ceiling ran out and he is not as good as everyone hoped for. His ceiling was AD but he's nothing compared to him and he's 27 now. Dude spent 8 years and hasn't figured it out. Ship him out for good assets before it's too late. Rudy was just a bad fit. He is a very good 3rd piece for any contender. You don't get defensive minded and athletic centers anymore.

Return to Wiretap Discussion