Matisse Thybulle To Sign Offer Sheet With Mavericks

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Matisse Thybulle To Sign Offer Sheet With Mavericks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:41 pm

Matisse Thybulle intends to sign an offer sheet with the Dallas Mavericks.

With Thybulle a restricted free agent, the Portland Trail Blazers will have the ability to match.

The Blazers acquired Thybulle from the Philadelphia Sixers in February.

Via Chris Haynes/Bleacher Report

Anthoine
Junior
And1: 35

Re: Matisse Thybulle To Sign Offer Sheet With Mavericks 

Post#2 » by Anthoine » Wed Jul 5, 2023 7:25 pm

Blazers only match if they’re petty.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 207

Post#3 » by puja21 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 8:21 pm

Anthoine wrote:Blazers only match if they’re petty.

That's naïve/wrong -- he hasn't signed anything yet, but why would Portland just let a young player who plays defense (i.e. an asset) walk for zero compensation?

Even Lillard is going to net them "something" in return, no matter what favors they may do to send him to Miami.

Plus, per Marc Stein, they've already warned teams they would match/retain any offer for Thybulle.

This could also be a bluff by Dallas -- if they don't want their cap room tied up and then risk losing out to a match, they could be trying to negotiate a S+T with PDX right now.

Once Thybulle "actually" signs their offer sheet, then S+T is not possible anymore and the Mavs can only land him via the offer sheet or lose him via the match.

Both sides have some leverage

Even if Portland convinces Dallas they will match, and no S+T is reached, Thybulle could still turn around and sign the QO like Bridges did... this would give him a no trade clause and UFA after this season, essentially screwing Portland out of the asset anyway.
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Salty1 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 8:27 pm

If all of the available players this is what Dallas is thinking? Jeez. He’s going to be a major liability on the offensive end. Dude better tighten up the screws. Congrats Dallas.. one more bad contract under your belt.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#5 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Jul 5, 2023 8:36 pm

Portland is definitely matching this.
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by puja21 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 8:49 pm

Salty1 wrote:If all of the available players this is what Dallas is thinking? Jeez. He’s going to be a major liability on the offensive end. Dude better tighten up the screws. Congrats Dallas.. one more bad contract under your belt.

i think the logic is that Boston (supposedly) is matching up to the MLE for Grant Williams or demanding a FRP in a S+T

Dallas has up to the MLE (4y 54m) ... but they way deals are going, Thybulle is probably 4M-5M/year guy

So he's not Grant, but should cost them <1/2 as much even if they have to send compensation to Portland in a S+T
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,054

Post#7 » by The Effect » Wed Jul 5, 2023 9:48 pm

What role would he have there, i mean seems very redundant with Josh Green there
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 9:52 pm

The Effect wrote:What role would he have there, i mean seems very redundant with Josh Green there

They’re probably getting a lot of trade calls involving green
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#9 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 5, 2023 10:33 pm

puja21 wrote:
Anthoine wrote:Blazers only match if they’re petty.

That's naïve/wrong -- he hasn't signed anything yet, but why would Portland just let a young player who plays defense (i.e. an asset) walk for zero compensation?

Even Lillard is going to net them "something" in return, no matter what favors they may do to send him to Miami.

Plus, per Marc Stein, they've already warned teams they would match/retain any offer for Thybulle.

This could also be a bluff by Dallas -- if they don't want their cap room tied up and then risk losing out to a match, they could be trying to negotiate a S+T with PDX right now.

Once Thybulle "actually" signs their offer sheet, then S+T is not possible anymore and the Mavs can only land him via the offer sheet or lose him via the match.

Both sides have some leverage

Even if Portland convinces Dallas they will match, and no S+T is reached, Thybulle could still turn around and sign the QO like Bridges did... this would give him a no trade clause and UFA after this season, essentially screwing Portland out of the asset anyway.

Most players want the money after a rookie deal I doubt mathisse cares enough about going to Dallas to take the qo over 54 million guaranteed
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,233

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 5, 2023 11:23 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
The Effect wrote:What role would he have there, i mean seems very redundant with Josh Green there

They’re probably getting a lot of trade calls involving green

They simply need depth that can shoot and defend. I'm not sure they have three clear, starting level NBA players.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#11 » by niha17 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:05 am

That's a easy match Dallas needs to do better than that with an offer Portland will match it
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by puja21 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 5:02 pm

PDXKnight wrote:Most players want the money after a rookie deal I doubt mathisse cares enough about going to Dallas to take the qo over 54 million guaranteed

you think dallas was prepared to offer the full MLE 54M ?

I was reading <6M per year was the market for Thybulle

Regardless, with the Grant Williams trade you have to assume Dallas isn't making this offer anymore

Return to Wiretap Discussion