Re: Damian Lillard's Agent Wants Blazers To Have 'Meaningful Negotiation With Miami'

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Damian Lillard's Agent Wants Blazers To Have 'Meaningful Negotiation With Miami' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:38 pm

Aaron Goodwin, agent for Damian Lillard, believes the Portland Trail Blazers and Miami Heat could reach a trade agreement if the two sides sat down to negotiate. 

Lillard requested a trade to from the Blazers last week with the Heat representing the only team he wants to play for.

“I had a positive conversation with Joe and I made it clear that Damian would want (the Blazers) to sit down and have a meaningful negotiation with Miami,” Goodwin said. “And I think that’s something that Joe and the Blazers will do.”­

Goodwin doesn't believe other teams will pursue a trade for Lillard due to his strong preference for the Heat. Under that scenario, Goodwin also believes it is incumbent on the Blazers to proactively reach a deal with the Heat.

“I don’t think another team would do a deal like that knowing everything that’s going on,” Goodwin said. “But if they do, then they don’t know Dame.”

Via Aaron Fentress/Oregonian

phenith
Sophomore
And1: 39

Re: Damian Lillard's Agent Wants Blazers To Have 'Meaningful Negotiation With Miami' 

Post#2 » by phenith » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:50 pm

Wow, like a total 180 for Dame, went from "Portland is where I want to be" to "F U, trade me to Miami and take what you get b!tch" in the blink of a Jerami Grant signing.
greggschapiro
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#3 » by greggschapiro » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:10 pm

I think he'd get over being upset at some point in the 4 years of his deal. If not, he can chase the ring at 37 I guess like CP3.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,145

Post#4 » by WRau1 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:24 pm

Heat should probably acquire some assets worth POR's time, I'm guessing that will be when the two can have some "meaningful conversations".
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,313

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:26 pm

sounds like the agent is begging now
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,611

Post#6 » by HangTime » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:27 pm

I'm surprised he didn't decide to test out what's going on with Portland, and then maybe ask for a trade mid-season.

Maybe is this version of the Blazers, with Dame, is actually really good.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,307

Re: Re: Damian Lillard's Agent Wants Blazers To Have 'Meaningful Negotiation With Miami' 

Post#7 » by King4Day » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:27 pm

The Suns took half a season to budge on giving up Bridges in the KD deal (the Suns were apparently pushing Ayton instead).
My guess is, this ends when Miami trades Herro, Martin, all possible firsts they are allowed, all possible swaps they are allowed, and all possible 2nd's they are allowed.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
BigHustle
Rookie
And1: 157

Post#8 » by BigHustle » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:34 pm

Lalouie wrote:sounds like the agent is begging now

Agent is getting rug burns on his knees!
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,878

Re: Re: Damian Lillard's Agent Wants Blazers To Have 'Meaningful Negotiation With Miami' 

Post#9 » by the_process » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:37 pm

King4Day wrote:The Suns took half a season to budge on giving up Bridges in the KD deal (the Suns were apparently pushing Ayton instead).
My guess is, this ends when Miami trades Herro, Martin, all possible firsts they are allowed, all possible swaps they are allowed, and all possible 2nd's they are allowed.

I think Miami is also going to have to find a third team willing to give picks/expirings for Herro and ship those along to POR too.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,235

Post#10 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:41 pm

Sounds like a pretty desperate attempt by the agent to force a trade.

Meanwhile there is another agency who got a number of their players overpaid contracts/extensions through private negotiations.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,749

Post#11 » by Invictus88 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:42 pm

This is like if I peed in your cheerios and then stated I wanted you to have an enjoyable breakfast afterwards.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#12 » by tigerae » Fri Jul 7, 2023 6:49 pm

the_process wrote:
King4Day wrote:The Suns took half a season to budge on giving up Bridges in the KD deal (the Suns were apparently pushing Ayton instead).

I think Miami is also going to have to find a third team willing to give picks/expirings for Herro and ship those along to POR too.

I think this is where the hold up is, there is no 3rd team willing to take Herro for assets in return. I think those teams would want picked attached to Herro if they take on his salary.

The Blazers should stand their grounds on this one and trade him to whoever has the best offer on the table. The Spurs did that with Kawhi and he only had 1 year left on his contract. If Lillard wants to get paid anyway, and it looks like he does since he didn't demand a trade last season like he should have and instead signed an extention.

Now that team can still be the Heat, but they have to find a way to get a 3rd team willing to give up picks rather than require picks to take Herro.

Him or his agent threatening that he just won't show up to a team is nonsense. The NBA would then get involved. If this was his plan then he needed to have the Blazers give him a no-trade clause like Beal had. Bad agent for not getting that as a bargaining chip for Lillard signing an extension.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,231

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:08 pm

tigerae wrote:
the_process wrote:

I think this is where the hold up is, there is no 3rd team willing to take Herro for assets in return. I think those teams would want picked attached to Herro if they take on his salary.

The Blazers should stand their grounds on this one and trade him to whoever has the best offer on the table. The Spurs did that with Kawhi and he only had 1 year left on his contract. If Lillard wants to get paid anyway, and it looks like he does since he didn't demand a trade last season like he should have and instead signed an extention.

Now that team can still be the Heat, but they have to find a way to get a 3rd team willing to give up picks rather than require picks to take Herro.

I honestly think MIA should consider trying to flip Lowry for Simmons and a 1st and maybe a couple of 2nds. With Lillard in MIA, Lowry is redundant at best. All Simmons would have to do is defend and make the extra pass, both things he does better than Lowry. Worst case scenario, he continues to be a bust and MIA flips his expiring next season. If POR would rather have Lowry's expiring, MIA can send Herro to BRK. I'm sure BRK would do either. They own BRK, DAL and PHX 1sts in 2029, so maybe least favorable of the three.
Oncloud9
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#14 » by Oncloud9 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:10 pm

Aaron Goodwin should go help the Heat find some trades to get the assets Portland would accept back instead of running his mouth. All his statements are doing is making it harder for Dame.

Hope Dame will like repping the Rip City jersey because Portland doesn't have to trade him.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,285

Post#15 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:23 pm

I think the more Goodwin talks the more the Blazers might decide to put him in his place. Bad faith moves can be reciprocated.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,063

Post#16 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:31 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
tigerae wrote:
the_process wrote:I think Miami is also going to have to find a third team willing to give picks/expirings for Herro and ship those along to POR too.

I honestly think MIA should consider trying to flip Lowry for Simmons and a 1st and maybe a couple of 2nds. With Lillard in MIA, Lowry is redundant at best. All Simmons would have to do is defend and make the extra pass, both things he does better than Lowry. Worst case scenario, he continues to be a bust and MIA flips his expiring next season. If POR would rather have Lowry's expiring, MIA can send Herro to BRK. I'm sure BRK would do either. They own BRK, DAL and PHX 1sts in 2029, so maybe least favorable of the three.

In that scenario PDX still doesn’t get anything but a whatever 1st, which is what they’re trying to avoid. The issue with a lot of these MIA deals is that Herro is the only nice asset they have, PDX has no use for him at all and like tigerae said no one else seems to value him too much given his big ol contract and limited game. Blazers are right to think they can do better, and maybe Miami is working the phones now to find someone who values Herro at something worth the Blazers while.
tyler_rex
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#17 » by tyler_rex » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:32 pm

I’m sure the Blazers would be more then happy to sit down and have a meaningful conversation but not if the Heat are just going to lowball them and I’m sure the Blazers are demanding Bam be part of the deal
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,261

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:33 pm

Bro just talk to them bro! They're really nice bro. You're really going to hit it off.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,319

Post#19 » by Parataxis » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:48 pm

HangTime wrote:I'm surprised he didn't decide to test out what's going on with Portland, and then maybe ask for a trade mid-season.

Maybe is this version of the Blazers, with Dame, is actually really good.

I think it's also just easier to make a trade like this in the off-season. No roster limits, so they can take players in and then cut whomever (including the just taken players) while in-season, they need to cut players first if it's a 3-1 (or etc) trade.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#20 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Jul 7, 2023 7:49 pm

Lalouie wrote:sounds like the agent is begging now

This is all going to be even funnier when he fires his agent
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.

Return to Wiretap Discussion