James Harden Reiterates Trade Request Despite Possible 'Path To Reconciliation' With Sixers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

James Harden Reiterates Trade Request Despite Possible 'Path To Reconciliation' With Sixers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:25 pm

James Harden expected to be traded when he opted in to his $35.6 million contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, but a trade has yet to materialize and he now appears more likely to remain with the franchise than be traded. Harden prefers a trade to the Los Angeles Clippers, but the two sides haven't had serious talks.

"No," said Ramona Shelburne when asked if Harden is any closer to being traded. "I don't think they're close on anything.

"James Harden has spoken with Daryl Morey since the first trade request. I think there was some cooling off period. 'Okay, let's let this lie and see how things play out.' They've spoken again and he's still reiterated he wants to be traded. This isn't a demand, it's a request. 

"The Sixers have said 'Okay, we will try to trade you, but there's no hurry to do this.' I think the Sixers understand here they have the leverage here. James has picked up his option. This is an opt-in to a contract. He's going to be a free agent after this season. At some point, he needs to play. Whether that's in Philadelphia or elsewhere. 

"Plus, there is a sense that if they can give it some time. And he's cool with his teammates. He's been talking to Joel Embiid. He's been talking to Patrick Beverley. PJ Tucker. Eventually, maybe those fences can be mended and there's a path to reconciliation with James Harden. But, for now, he's reiterated his trade request."

Harden's issues with the Sixers appears to be financial with the front office.

"I'll just be clear with you: he felt betrayed," added Shelburne. "He felt like he was going to get a max extension from them either last year and decided 'Okay, I'll leave some money on the table.' And then this year when they were not communicating with him before free agency, because they have the largest tampering fine in league history. But generally speaking, there was no wink or not saying we're going to take care of you. He got upset and that's why he opted in rather than letting it play out and reach free agency."

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Re: James Harden Reiterates Trade Request Despite Possible 'Path To Reconciliation' With Sixers 

Post#2 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:16 pm

It's a business if he was still a max player he would be signed to one already. Neither the Sixers nor any other team is giving him that.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,810

Re: James Harden Reiterates Trade Request Despite Possible 'Path To Reconciliation' With Sixers 

Post#3 » by Revived » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:03 pm

Harden turns 34 years old in a month.

Why do these players have such a hard time accepting that no team is willing to give out a max contract or anything even close to it for a player at this age?

LeBron is the exception, not the rule.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 110

Post#4 » by dubbmotta » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:10 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:It's a business if he was still a max player he would be signed to one already. Neither the Sixers nor any other team is giving him that.

And it’s also a business so when players want to get traded fans shouldn’t complain about it . Not saying you are but most casuals do.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,522

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:45 pm

You got to love it when someone opts into their player option and immediately demands a trade. :crazy:
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,507

Post#6 » by CobraCommander » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:06 am

fuller4379 wrote:You got to love it when someone opts into their player option and immediately demands a trade. :crazy:

And you say no...and keep it moving
wakelaunch1
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#7 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:09 am

Revived wrote:Harden turns 34 years old in a month.

Why do these players have such a hard time accepting that no team is willing to give out a max contract or anything even close to it for a player at this age?

Chris Paul got a decent contract 4 years 120,000,000 at 34. Its rare though.

Harden has a history of being out of shape so I wouldnt give him a long term contract. 2 year max.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 385

Post#8 » by Elnegron » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:39 am

Funny how only teams can have the benefit but never the players. The man was praised for taking below market last season to sign pj and someone else. The moment he wants his money back, there is an issue. I hate when broke ass side with billionaires instead of the players. Free dame
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,209

Post#9 » by M2J » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:31 am

wakelaunch1 wrote:

Harden has a history of being out of shape so I wouldnt give him a long term contract. 2 year max.

Sixers may have given him Harden something close to that in less years. It was more the years Harden wants than the money. Would'nt be shocked if they were willing to offer 2 years 90+million, easily 80 million
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:32 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:

But he thinks he's still gonna be going strong when he's 39. :noway:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:36 pm

fuller4379 wrote:You got to love it when someone opts into their player option and immediately demands a trade. :crazy:

Something has to be done about these players demanding trades, especially when they say only to one team. When that hits the media his value is destroyed. I'd be good with a 20% fine or the NBA takes 20% of the players salary for demanding a trade.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#12 » by DickMotta4Prez » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:29 pm

Damian Lillard should be thanking James Harden for having a more ridiculous trade request situation than his. Harden is delusional. He eats and loafs his way into has-been status after years of being a proven playoff loser, then OPTS IN to his contract and immediately demands a trade. HE COULD'VE BEEN FREE TO GO WHEREVER TF HE WANTED. But he knew there's no way he'd get a contract worth the same as his PO.
I really hope Morey trades his fat *ss to China
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
beefymajesto
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#13 » by beefymajesto » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:09 pm

Who's trading for the player with the most trade demands in nba history? Add his playoff success and I can't believe the offers aren't flying in.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,810

Post#14 » by Revived » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:38 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:

CP3’s contract was only guaranteed for 2 years though. You think Harden would accept that?

Return to Wiretap Discussion