Clippers Interest In James Harden Is Unclear

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Clippers Interest In James Harden Is Unclear 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:22 pm

On the most recent episode of The Lowe Post podcast, ESPN's Zach Lowe touched on the James Harden trade situation. Lowe said things with Harden's trade request are at "a total stalemate".

"There’s only really one team that he wants to go to, and that team is the Clippers," Lowe said. "Their level of engagement here to me is unclear/not super enthusiastic."

Lowe also said the chances of Harden returning to the Philadelphia 76ers seems unlikely as of now.

"I don’t know what to make of the possibility that Harden would ever go back to Philly. I continue to hear from people who would know that the bridge is burned," Lowe said. "But that’s what people who would know would say on July 17, with two months or whatever before training camp."

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

ChaiSudle
Freshman
And1: 100

Re: Clippers Interest In James Harden Is Unclear 

Post#2 » by ChaiSudle » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:22 pm

You gotta love the headlines here sometimes..."Nothing is happening and it's unclear if anything is happening"
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#3 » by engelmartin » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:36 pm

ChaiSudle wrote:You gotta love the headlines here sometimes..."Nothing is happening and it's unclear if anything is happening"

"Basketball news theoretically possible"
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
fredweis
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#4 » by fredweis » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:13 pm

The Clips already decided on running it back with Russ.

Looks like the Sixers will likely have to buyout Harden if he won’t suit up for them. No reason for any other team to give up assets when they can just wait out the standoff.

If the Heat can’t land Lillard they could pivot to Harden. They have the culture to absorb him. I don’t see any other viable landing spots for Harden. Every team has already made their decision on their backcourt.

Dude may have complained his way out the NBA.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 109

Post#5 » by dubbmotta » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:28 pm

fredweis wrote:The Clips already decided on running it back with Russ.

Looks like the Sixers will likely have to buyout Harden if he won’t suit up for them. No reason for any other team to give up assets when they can just wait out the standoff.

If the Heat can’t land Lillard they could pivot to Harden. They have the culture to absorb him. I don’t see any other viable landing spots for Harden. Every team has already made their decision on their backcourt.

Heat doesn't want him and who would they give up for him, Herro? No way I trade Herro for a one year rental who doesn't show up in the playoffs.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#6 » by M2J » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:30 pm

Harden has very little leverage here. Sixers would prefer to hand the reigns to Maxey anyways which is in part why Harden opted in. He wasn't sure they'd give him a new deal. They're set up with cap space next year to potentially use assets to take in a star or add quality depth to Joel and Maxey.

They could sit Harden and effectively end his career as a highly paid player. Someone would take a flyer out on him if he's picked up next year, but not spend a lot. Morey could continue to short term max him if James learns to be a team player and play off the ball more and still produce. James best way to get what he wants is to stop crying, come in and ball and show a team he can put them over the top.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 620

Post#7 » by alienpick » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:05 pm

The Sixers don't need to buy him out, he's on an expiring contract. Just send him home, and trade him at the trade deadline if something comes up. Otherwise, he's off the books in the summer. Unless Harden is giving a good discount on the buyout, there's no reason to buy him out.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 917

Post#8 » by Roy T » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:21 pm

What happened to the "mutual interest" headlines?
Jay Mail
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Jay Mail » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Poor Harden. Playing with the most dominant player/MVP in the NBA and a great shot at his 1st title and he wants out. If he went to Miami and doesn't learn how to play defense, the Heat would be out 1st round. Superstars win championships and Harden and Lillard are not there anymore so they are finding they can't pick one team to play for...that only works for the elite...not the aging defense lacking ego's
[EverGreen]
Junior
And1: 168

Post#10 » by [EverGreen] » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:04 pm

alienpick wrote:

The Sixers don't need to buy him out, he's on an expiring contract. Just send him home, and trade him at the trade deadline if something comes up. Otherwise, he's off the books in the summer. Unless Harden is giving a good discount on the buyout, there's no reason to buy him out.

This.

Also Philly has the blue print on how to handle these situations from the Simmons/Harden trade. They'll just let hinm sit at home until a deal materialises. Come the trade deadline, a team that is under performing compared to expectations will need to shake things up and a guy that led the league in assists this past seaosn will look tempting.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 323

Post#11 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:22 am

Not sure who else besides the Clippers have a need for Harden. I think this will definitely go into the season where James will have to sit out and get fined for not suiting up.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:44 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:Not sure who else besides the Clippers have a need for Harden. I think this will definitely go into the season where James will have to sit out and get fined for not suiting up.

Well, lots of teams could use 21/6/11 with efficient scoring numbers. It's not knowing what kind of extension he would expect that shuts the market down. That and the fact that anyone in the Harden market would rather have Dame, and he's still out there.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#13 » by haste10176 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:39 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:Not sure who else besides the Clippers have a need for Harden. I think this will definitely go into the season where James will have to sit out and get fined for not suiting up.

Well, lots of teams could use 21/6/11 with efficient scoring numbers. It's not knowing what kind of extension he would expect that shuts the market down. That and the fact that anyone in the Harden market would rather have Dame, and he's still out there.

Its what philly expect back for harden as well.. How much will you give for a guy who fades in the biggest games.. Mid season opens up other possibilities though would the lakers give up dlo and reeves plus a first.. Would Philly take that..
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,474

Post#14 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:55 am

player empowerment all fine and well but its getting a bit ridiculous.

we dont even give lists anymore? And apparently the players' targeted teams dont even want them lmao.

harden is a joke these days... i loved his game when he was at his peek. besides the flopping his games was a one of. ship this guy to washington
im bout dat action boss
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#15 » by circa70 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:17 pm

haste10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Its what philly expect back for harden as well.. How much will you give for a guy who fades in the biggest games.. Mid season opens up other possibilities though would the lakers give up dlo and reeves plus a first.. Would Philly take that..

Lakers wouldn’t take harden for Reaves str8 up & you’re recommending they give up dlo + FRP? That’s why causals should never be GMs :crazy:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:17 pm

circa70 wrote:
haste10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Well, lots of teams could use 21/6/11 with efficient scoring numbers. It's not knowing what kind of extension he would expect that shuts the market down. That and the fact that anyone in the Harden market would rather have Dame, and he's still out there.

Lakers wouldn’t take harden for Reaves str8 up & you’re recommending they give up dlo + FRP? That’s why causals should never be GMs :crazy:

Well' they would give up Dlo in a heartbeat. They signed him to be a trade asset.

But no, I don't see either team doing that. PHI would want more, and while Reaves is unlikely to ever make an All Star team, his fit in LAL is undeniable and the price is right.
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#17 » by circa70 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:29 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
circa70 wrote:
haste10176 wrote:

Well' they would give up Dlo in a heartbeat. They signed him to be a trade asset.

But no, I don't see either team doing that. PHI would want more, and while Reaves is unlikely to ever make an All Star team, his fit in LAL is undeniable and the price is right.

a trade asset yes, but not for James harden. I think they learned their lesson from the westbrick experiment. you really don't think philly would take reaves, dlo + 1st for harden? that's insane. they're not getting close to that from anyone and no way lakers offer that
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:31 pm

circa70 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
circa70 wrote:

a trade asset yes, but not for James harden. I think they learned their lesson from the westbrick experiment. you really don't think philly would take reaves, dlo + 1st for harden? that's insane. they're not getting close to that from anyone and no way lakers offer that

I think Reaves is good but currently overrated. He had a short run next to two HOF players. He isn't on anyone's white board. (See Linsanity!) The pick is a pick, but it will probably be in the 20's and D-lo would be viewed as a negative contract by many teams in the NBA. So no, I don't think they do that.

And you're right, as I said in my previous post, I don't think LAL would do that either. Reaves fits perfectly on the Lakers.

Return to Wiretap Discussion