Kings Never Offered Tyrese Haliburton To Sixers For Ben Simmons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Kings Never Offered Tyrese Haliburton To Sixers For Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:59 pm

The Sacramento Kings never offered Tyrese Haliburton as part of a package to the Philadelphia 76ers for Ben Simmons, sources told Marc Stein.

The Kings were rumored to be interested in trading for Simmons during the 21-22 season and eventually traded Haliburton for Domantas Sabonis.

The Kings turned into a playoff team last season with Sabonis having an All-NBA season, while Haliburton emerged as an All-Star with the Indiana Pacers and would have likely been a better long-term fit for the Sixers than James Harden. 

Haliburton signed a five-year designated max extension with the Pacers that could be worth up to $260 million.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

nonameguy
Junior
And1: 171

Re: Kings Never Offered Tyrese Haliburton To Sixers For Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by nonameguy » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:33 pm

Breaking news!
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 961

Post#3 » by Tom White » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:48 pm

Kings were smart. Simmons is a waste.
BeesKneesCs
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#4 » by BeesKneesCs » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:09 pm

This is just Stein stanning for Dork Elvis. Morey doesn't want to look bad so he is telling anyone who will listen that Haliburton wasn't on the table. Sacramento did end up trading Haliburton and Lowe has said on many a podcast that he was on the table.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#5 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:34 pm

BeesKneesCs wrote:This is just Stein stanning for Dork Elvis. Morey doesn't want to look bad so he is telling anyone who will listen that Haliburton wasn't on the table. Sacramento did end up trading Haliburton and Lowe has said on many a podcast that he was on the table.

Tough call here, I do think Haliburton was on the table and they did end up trading for a passing PF, and I also don't think Stein's sources are definitely going to be honest about that. But all these trades happened after Simmons' no-showed against ATL and then quit on his team, so I'm not sure how much that would've turned them off. Plus Simmons did play PG every year for the Sixers and probably wouldn't have wanted to give that up, would've been an issue with Fox (which is who they were making the trade for).
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:53 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
BeesKneesCs wrote:This is just Stein stanning for Dork Elvis. Morey doesn't want to look bad so he is telling anyone who will listen that Haliburton wasn't on the table. Sacramento did end up trading Haliburton and Lowe has said on many a podcast that he was on the table.

Tough call here, I do think Haliburton was on the table and they did end up trading for a passing PF, and I also don't think Stein's sources are definitely going to be honest about that. But all these trades happened after Simmons' no-showed against ATL and then quit on his team, so I'm not sure how much that would've turned them off. Plus Simmons did play PG every year for the Sixers and probably wouldn't have wanted to give that up, would've been an issue with Fox (which is who they were making the trade for).

Easy math. If Haliburton was on the table, he would be a Sixer right now.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,861

Post#7 » by the_process » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:04 pm

Morey must be in real trouble with ownership for f****** up the Harden situation.

He has Marc Stein doing his dirty work :lol:

This is classic Ainge-style revisionist history. Of course there was a Simmons-Haliburton deal to be had.

Morey just wanted Fox and picks on top of it to abandon his pursuit of his white whale Harden. Which was a major screw up. And he knows it. And considering the length Morey is going to to get it out there that "it's not his fault", he's starting to get heat for it.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:08 pm

If the Kings had considered trading Haliburton for Simmons there is no question that they did the right thing by not doing that. Sabonis is a great player with 400X over Simmons.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#9 » by HardenGoat » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:17 pm

Kings dodged a disaster that’s for sure
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#10 » by chipchipperson » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:16 am

One thing to note is that the harden trade was still a huge win for morey even with all of this drama. Simmons is the worst contract in the league and there's no one even remotely close. Getting off that was a win in itself, not getting a young 20's centerpiece in the process doesnt constitute a loss.

And speaking of revisionist history, no one would've taken haliburton for simmons straight up over harden for simmons, curry and the picks when the trade happened. In hindsight we know what we all know but let's not kid ourselves. As far as anyone was concerned at the time harden still had a few years left on his prime and had our collective sympathy for having to play for that goofy ass nets squad and haliburton was still relatively unproven putting up solid stats on a garbage team.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,383

Post#11 » by shrink » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:51 am

It’s amazing how front offices always make the right call, on all leaks to the press a decision they made two years ago!
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#12 » by M2J » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:57 am

This is such a lie. I not only think Haliburton was on the market for Simmons, I think Fox was as well.

Morey is lying
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,612

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:37 am

WTF? Are we really talking about what teams did NOT offer its player to other teams now? :roll:

This is some postumous Mitch Hedberg comedy material right here.

I wanted the Knicks to draft him ... but NOOOOOOOOOOO ...
Free Palestine
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,474

Post#14 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:56 am

sooo what about harden and morey? are they not besties anymore? LOL
im bout dat action boss
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,630

Post#15 » by Mak » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:44 am

Good job Stein. Morey appreciates the cover , in exchange for some juicy rumors in the future.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#16 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:11 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:WTF? Are we really talking about what teams did NOT offer its player to other teams now? :roll:

This is some postumous Mitch Hedberg comedy material right here.

I wanted the Knicks to draft him ... but NOOOOOOOOOOO ...

I used to pay attention to NBA gossip in summer.

I still do, but I used to, too.
BeesKneesCs
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#17 » by BeesKneesCs » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:14 pm

Mak wrote:Good job Stein. Morey appreciates the cover , in exchange for some juicy rumors in the future.

Let's see who get the scoop Philly's next move. Will be interesting to see.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,965

Post#18 » by Axl Rose » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:WTF? Are we really talking about what teams did NOT offer its player to other teams now? :roll:

Not just that but it's what they didn't offer 2 years ago.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,499

Post#19 » by boomershadow » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:16 pm

Realistically, the proposed trade had to be a package centered around Fox for Simmons. Haliburton for Simmons wouldn't have made any sense fit wise, salary, etc.

And that was before Fox had a really good bounce back year during Light the Beam and before it was for sure known that Simmons was done completely.

Return to Wiretap Discussion