Clippers, Kawhi Leonard In No Rush To Sign Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Clippers, Kawhi Leonard In No Rush To Sign Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:54 pm

In a recent appearance on The Lowe Post, ESPN's Ohm Youngmisuk shared some insight into the LA Clippers extension plans with Kawhi Leonard. Youngmisuk said LA and Leonard are in "no rush" to get an extension done.

"I hear it's kind of quiet right now," Youngmisuk said. "There is no rush on an extension for Kawhi Leonard, and then Paul George will be eligible in September."

It was made clear an extension is still expected for both Leonard and George at some point. The most likely path is that the two stars will sign extensions for similar lengths of time, which is what they did when they joined LA ahead of the 2019-20 season.

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

niha17
Rookie
And1: 71

Re: Clippers, Kawhi Leonard In No Rush To Sign Extension 

Post#2 » by niha17 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:09 pm

hes not worth it anymore
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:32 pm

READ: unlikely incentives tied to games played, All-NBA teams
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,090

Post#4 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:10 pm

I would not be surprised to see this whole thing blow up this fall. George and Leonard ask for longterm extensions, 4-5 years to take them to the end of their careers, Clippers say emphatic NO. Clippers are still on the hook for the 24-25 season at 48 million each which they almost certainly opt into. When they will be 34 and 35. Why are they even having discussions?

I can't imagine the Clippers want to extend them for 3 plus years into the 50s-60s million salary range and more unproductive years.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,310

Post#5 » by Slim Charless » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:53 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:I would not be surprised to see this whole thing blow up this fall. George and Leonard ask for longterm extensions, 4-5 years to take them to the end of their careers, Clippers say emphatic NO. Clippers are still on the hook for the 24-25 season at 48 million each which they almost certainly opt into. When they will be 34 and 35. Why are they even having discussions?

I can't imagine the Clippers want to extend them for 3 plus years into the 50s-60s million salary range and more unproductive years.

Yup. Clips are dumb if they give KL anything more then a year by year deal. Which he would never accept. They should trade him for Harden.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:12 pm

extension for what? bench riding load management? Kawhi owes them a year and a half worth of games from his current contract.

Time to make contracts game based instead of year based.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,031

Post#7 » by JN61 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:06 am

alienpick wrote:extension for what? bench riding load management? Kawhi owes them a year and a half worth of games from his current contract.

Honestly yes. I think it would be fair for minimum contracts be fully guaranteed but over 50% of max contracts be just 50% guaranteed.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#8 » by haste10176 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:00 am

JN61 wrote:
alienpick wrote:extension for what? bench riding load management? Kawhi owes them a year and a half worth of games from his current contract.

Honestly yes. I think it would be fair for minimum contracts be fully guaranteed but over 50% of max contracts be just 50% guaranteed.

Fair how if your injury comes from playing the game why should you lose out.. Also the owners and players have a revenue split where does the money go when not garunteed? Surely not back to the owners who are already making their fair share.. Plus its funny how the word fair is being applied when the worker may have for once a slight upper hand..
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#9 » by DickMotta4Prez » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:19 am

niha17 wrote:hes not worth it anymore

Sadly, this seems to be true. I really expected the Clippers to at least make the Finals after they acquired PG13.
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#10 » by DickMotta4Prez » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:49 am

JN61 wrote:

Both of your ideas are terrible. Shoe polish is toxic if you lick it FYI

Make the point without the personal attack.
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#11 » by alienpick » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:03 am

haste10176 wrote:
JN61 wrote:

Fair how if your injury comes from playing the game why should you lose out.. Also the owners and players have a revenue split where does the money go when not garunteed? Surely not back to the owners who are already making their fair share.. Plus its funny how the word fair is being applied when the worker may have for once a slight upper hand..

Well, I was kind of joking, but since you started it:

If you called in sick for 50% of your shifts you'd be fired. Even if you got injured on the job and claimed worker's comp; your work only pays the first two weeks, workers comp pays the rest. So if the NBA started some sort of worker's comp program, then the non guaranteed money could go to there. It's still a 50/50 split with owners/players as it is a players only program. But now those constantly "injured" players don't handicap their team by taking up cap space. Long term injured players fall off the teams cap hit and the NBAPA Workers Comp fund pays them to rehab. The team can find a replacement in the meantime with the cap space opened up.

Honestly Kawhi has been not living up to his contracts for years, and he's not the only one. Ben Simmons is another example. It's not fair to the franchise, the teammates, the league, or the fans to have such large chunk of the team's cap tied up in part time players.

Now, you can say it was the teams choice to sign those contracts, knowing the players history, but those contracts are signed with the expectation of play.

No one is feeling sorry for the owners, it's everyone else I already listed that is really loosing out when contracts are not being upheld from BOTH sides. (For example; sending a player home to not play while under contract is crap too. Either trade him, waive him, or buy him out if he wants to play.)
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,351

Post#12 » by rocketsfan100 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:07 am

niha17 wrote:hes not worth it anymore

He is in. The playoffs. He absolutely goes ballistic in the playoffs
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 787

Post#13 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 am

haste10176 wrote:
JN61 wrote:

I shouldn't care as a fan how much players or owners make. Not my business. Ballmer can pay Kawhi $200M a year for all I care.... But there is a thing called Salary cap. Kawhi taking 32% of the cap and not playing hurts my team, because you can't replace him.
NBA should change it's cap rules, so that missed games don't count against a teams cap, or you get a credit the following year something like that.
ReddOktober
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#14 » by ReddOktober » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:36 am

alienpick wrote:
haste10176 wrote:
JN61 wrote:Honestly yes. I think it would be fair for minimum contracts be fully guaranteed but over 50% of max contracts be just 50% guaranteed.

If you called in sick for 50% of your shifts you'd be fired. Even if you got injured on the job and claimed worker's comp; your work only pays the first two weeks, workers comp pays the rest. So if the NBA started some sort of worker's comp program, then the non guaranteed money could go to there. It's still a 50/50 split with owners/players as it is a players only program. But now those constantly "injured" players don't handicap their team by taking up cap space. Long term injured players fall off the teams cap hit and the NBAPA Workers Comp fund pays them to rehab. The team can find a replacement in the meantime with the cap space opened up.

Honestly Kawhi has been not living up to his contracts for years, and he's not the only one. Ben Simmons is another example. It's not fair to the franchise, the teammates, the league, or the fans to have such large chunk of the team's cap tied up in part time players.

Now, you can say it was the teams choice to sign those contracts, knowing the players history, but those contracts are signed with the expectation of play.

No one is feeling sorry for the owners, it's everyone else I already listed that is really loosing out when contracts are not being upheld from BOTH sides. (For example; sending a player home to not play while under contract is crap too. Either trade him, waive him, or buy him out if he wants to play.)

Man Isiah Thomas is the perfect example of put yourself and your long term health first. If Kawhi goes out there and plays while still having injury issues and furthers damages his body, he will for sure not be having extension talks but T least he was a good sport and laid it all on the floor. nah screw that. this is a business. if i’m hurt i’m not going to work period. you can’t compare the NBA to a 9-5 job. totally different business.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#15 » by haste10176 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:32 pm

alienpick wrote:
haste10176 wrote:
JN61 wrote:Honestly yes. I think it would be fair for minimum contracts be fully guaranteed but over 50% of max contracts be just 50% guaranteed.

They dont need workers comp every player in the NBA is rich and most are garunteed contracts and they already pay a portion of their salary to medical and long term payouts for other NBA players and Kawhi was injury plagued before he signed the contract they signed him because he has the ability to be maybe the best player in the NBA when not injured they do not have to extend him.. He didnt play because he was injured.. Also if a player is out for the season you can apply for a injury exception which you can get $$ for to use or even in the case of chris bosh get the players salary wiped from your cap.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,109

Post#16 » by Bobbymcgee » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:42 pm

Ugh, the Clippers really are going to sigh Leonard and George to extensions aren't they? Oh well.

Return to Wiretap Discussion