Mikal Bridges On Austin Reaves: He's Here

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Mikal Bridges On Austin Reaves: He's Here 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:22 pm

Mikal Bridges and Austin Reaves are first-time teammates on Team USA for this summer's FIBA World Cup. The Brooklyn Nets star is counting himself as a fan of the Los Angeles Lakers emerging star. Bridges also said people need to start thinking of Reaves in a different light.

“This ain’t no underdog s*** no more,” Bridges said of Reaves. “He’s here.”

Bridges went on to compliment Reaves' game, including his ability to draw free throws.

“I’ve been a fan. … I think the biggest thing about him I like is that he knows how to draw a foul,” Bridges said of Reaves foul-drawing ability. “He knows how to create fouls and get to the free-throw line and that’s like a skill. He’s not just getting there. There’s a skill to that and it’s very underrated. People don’t really understand it but the ones that do, they know how tough it is to guard. That s***‘s an art.”

Via Dan Woike/Los Angeles Times

Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,054

Re: Mikal Bridges On Austin Reaves: He's Here 

Post#2 » by Loneshot » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:54 pm

That's a huge compliment coming from a player of Mikale's caliber. If Reaves could somehow add about 7 more points to his average... even keeping the rest of his stats the same as last season, that would be huge for the Lakers. The Lakers were always supposed to have a third star with AD/LeBron; that could be Reaves. That third star will have a lot of scoring opportunities, you just have to make the shots. If Reaves can average 20... then they are a playoff team.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:41 pm

Loneshot wrote:That's a huge compliment coming from a player of Mikale's caliber. If Reaves could somehow add about 7 more points to his average... even keeping the rest of his stats the same as last season, that would be huge for the Lakers. The Lakers were always supposed to have a third star with AD/LeBron; that could be Reaves. That third star will have a lot of scoring opportunities, you just have to make the shots. If Reaves can average 20... then they are a playoff team.

Reaves averaged 13/3/3. Him adding 7 pts and averaging 20/3/3 would not make him a star. He's good and a great fit next to Lebron and AD, but there may be a little Linsanity in your comment. He's facing an uphill battle as he's just about good enough to get some pregame attention of opposing coaching staffs. His superpower has been his ability to go under the radar. If he starts averaging over 20, he will be on the radar. Can he continue to shoot those percentages while opposing defenses focus in on him? I hope so, but I kind of doubt it.
napdash
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#4 » by napdash » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:42 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Loneshot wrote:That's a huge compliment coming from a player of Mikale's caliber. If Reaves could somehow add about 7 more points to his average... even keeping the rest of his stats the same as last season, that would be huge for the Lakers. The Lakers were always supposed to have a third star with AD/LeBron; that could be Reaves. That third star will have a lot of scoring opportunities, you just have to make the shots. If Reaves can average 20... then they are a playoff team.

Reaves averaged 13/3/3. Him adding 7 pts and averaging 20/3/3 would not make him a star. He's good and a great fit next to Lebron and AD, but there may be a little Linsanity in your comment. He's facing an uphill battle as he's just about good enough to get some pregame attention of opposing coaching staffs. His superpower has been his ability to go under the radar. If he starts averaging over 20, he will be on the radar. Can he continue to shoot those percentages while opposing defenses focus in on him? I hope so, but I kind of doubt it.

1. I don't know why it matters whether he's classed a "star"
2. I hope you have an opportunity to watch him this season - Austin's foresight is his superpower. Who knows what scouts are doing or thinking
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:24 pm

napdash wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

2. I hope you have an opportunity to watch him this season - Austin's foresight is his superpower. Who knows what scouts are doing or thinking

1. It doesn't matter to you or me. But if opposing coaches see him as a star, they'll start scouting him more thoroughly.
2. I did. As I said, "He's good and a great fit next to Lebron and AD, but..." I'm not knocking him. He's a good player on a great contract, but Wade or Bosh he is not. Seems like a pretty obvious point.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,773

Post#6 » by ryguy613 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:26 pm

Game Recognizes Game
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#7 » by chipchipperson » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:35 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
napdash wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Reaves averaged 13/3/3. Him adding 7 pts and averaging 20/3/3 would not make him a star. He's good and a great fit next to Lebron and AD, but there may be a little Linsanity in your comment. He's facing an uphill battle as he's just about good enough to get some pregame attention of opposing coaching staffs. His superpower has been his ability to go under the radar. If he starts averaging over 20, he will be on the radar. Can he continue to shoot those percentages while opposing defenses focus in on him? I hope so, but I kind of doubt it.

1. It doesn't matter to you or me. But if opposing coaches see him as a star, they'll start scouting him more thoroughly.
2. I did. As I said, "He's good and a great fit next to Lebron and AD, but..." I'm not knocking him. He's a good player on a great contract, but Wade or Bosh he is not. Seems like a pretty obvious point.

Worldstar
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#8 » by haste10176 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:37 am

Getting to the foul line is an unappealing skill to watch and its value is diminished in the playoffs this almost feels like a backhanded compliment noone goes to a game to watch a guy shoot free throws
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#9 » by haste10176 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:39 am

3 best contracts in the league Brunson Reeves and Bridges.. I would rank Bridges number 1 though
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,168

Post#10 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:56 am

haste10176 wrote:Getting to the foul line is an unappealing skill to watch and its value is diminished in the playoffs this almost feels like a backhanded compliment noone goes to a game to watch a guy shoot free throws

I also wonder if the league will catch on and stop going for his upfakes.

Very good player though, he's legit
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Wiretap Discussion