Re: Clippers Believed To Have Made Call To End James Harden Trade Talks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Clippers Believed To Have Made Call To End James Harden Trade Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:54 pm

A contentious offseason between James Harden the Philadelphia 76ers was ratcheted up when the team communicated they expect him in camp and the player responded by calling Daryl Morey "a liar." 

The timing of the Sixers making that declaration could have been dictated by the Los Angeles Clippers moving on from trade talks. The Sixers did not see a market materialize for Harden beyond the Clippers.

"One of the things that happened here is I think the Clippers had decided there was no trade," said Brian Windhorst on his podcast. "I think the Clippers were going to move on from it and at least from talking to Philly about it. I think the only option Philly had at the time was the Clippers and so when that never got off the ground, from what I understand. They had multiple conversations... You can see the two rosters. You can see what the trade pieces are. You can understand why they wouldn't [do a trade].

"As long as Philly wasn't interested in taking some assets from the Clippers and then making an offer, probably with Tyrese Maxey for Damian Lillard, I don't see how a Clipper trade makes a ton of sense for them anyway.

"I think what ticked James off was that they announced they wanted to bring him back and he was reacting to that more than anything."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,817

Post#2 » by the_process » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:49 pm

If true that leaves the Lakers in January or the Mavs trash left as the only options best as I can tell.

Welcome back, Harden.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,520

Post#3 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:12 pm

No thanks. Have fun in China, bozo
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,055

Post#4 » by mg » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:19 pm

No team wants Harden. Can't blame 'em.
eureca20
Junior
And1: 82

Post#5 » by eureca20 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:27 pm

the_process wrote:If true that leaves the Lakers in January or the Mavs trash left as the only options best as I can tell.

Welcome back, Harden.

What about some package involving DeMar Derozan for Harden? Bulls probably have to send someone else to match salaries. I am not sure who that would be. DeMar is still a very good player. And it doesn't hurt the sixers future cap space.

For the Bulls? Why not? They didn't make the playoffs last year with this team. Might as well give Harden a try on an expiring contract.
DangerCurtis
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#6 » by DangerCurtis » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:31 pm

eureca20 wrote:
the_process wrote:If true that leaves the Lakers in January or the Mavs trash left as the only options best as I can tell.

Welcome back, Harden.

What about some package involving DeMar Derozan for Harden? Bulls probably have to send someone else to match salaries. I am not sure who that would be. DeMar is still a very good player. And it doesn't hurt the sixers future cap space.

For the Bulls? Why not? They didn't make the playoffs last year with this team. Might as well give Harden a try on an expiring contract.

I'm not super up to date with the Bulls but this sounds like a logical trade to me and worth the Bulls and Sixers to entertain.
westcider
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#7 » by westcider » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:09 pm

DangerCurtis wrote:
eureca20 wrote:

Welcome back, Harden.

I'm not super up to date with the Bulls but this sounds like a logical trade to me and worth the Bulls and Sixers to entertain.

as a Bulls fan who isn't in love with Demar, please please no
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#8 » by M2J » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:47 am

westcider wrote:
DangerCurtis wrote:
eureca20 wrote:

They need a playmaker like Harden
jmbish87
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#9 » by jmbish87 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:23 am

M2J wrote:
westcider wrote:
DangerCurtis wrote:

exactly this - Harden led the NBA in assists per game. A player doing that doesn't just wind up in China unwanted by anyone.
the_process
RealGM

Post#10 » by the_process » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:08 pm

jmbish87 wrote:
M2J wrote:
westcider wrote:

exactly this - Harden led the NBA in assists per game. A player doing that doesn't just wind up in China unwanted by anyone.

He does if he's a toxic nightmare, which Harden is quickly becoming.
the_process
RealGM

Post#11 » by the_process » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:13 pm

westcider wrote:
DangerCurtis wrote:
eureca20 wrote:

What if the Bulls didn't get Harden?

CHI gets THJ, Kleber, Holmes, 2026 DAL 1st top 4 protected

DAL gets Harden and Tucker

PHI gets DeRozan and Caruso
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,708

Post#12 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:35 pm

"I think what ticked James off was that they announced they wanted to bring him back and he was reacting to that more than anything."

Daryl remains Harden’s biggest fan. We’d’ve been so much better off if he had dealt Simmons for some good young talent.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 526

Post#13 » by dickfox » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm starting to think it's the Raptors.

Ujiri trades for another disgruntled star in his final year. Raps aren't in a rebuild yet. Siakam and Anunoby need new deals.

Morey wants draft picks and a good player so Sixers can at least make a decent run before Embiid asks out.

PHI gets: 2027 UFRP + 2026, 2027, 2028 SRP + Trent Jr. + Boucher + Achiuwa

TOR gets: Harden

Sixers Lineup:
Embiid - Tucker - Harris - Trent Jr. - Maxey

Raptors Lineup:
Poeltl - Siakam - Barnes - Anunoby - Harden
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 569

Post#14 » by Ssj16 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:26 pm

dickfox wrote:I'm starting to think it's the Raptors.

Ujiri trades for another disgruntled star in his final year. Raps aren't in a rebuild yet. Siakam and Anunoby need new deals.

Morey wants draft picks and a good player so Sixers can at least make a decent run before Embiid asks out.

PHI gets: 2027 UFRP + 2026, 2027, 2028 SRP + Trent Jr. + Boucher + Achiuwa

TOR gets: Harden

Sixers Lineup:
Embiid - Tucker - Harris - Trent Jr. - Maxey

Raptors Lineup:
Poeltl - Siakam - Barnes - Anunoby - Harden

It's tricky because Toronto doesn't have the same amount of strip clubs anymore to keep Harden entertained.

That would be an entertaining team and he'd raise our floor but I'd probably pass on it because I don't trust that he'd want to stay and we'd lose too many future assets without even winning another chip.

Return to Wiretap Discussion