Josh Harris: Sixers Working To Convince James Harden To Stay With Sixers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Josh Harris: Sixers Working To Convince James Harden To Stay With Sixers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:55 pm

Josh Harris said the Philadelphia 76ers are continuing to work on convincing James Harden to remain with the franchise for the 23-24 season after they've been unable to find a workable trade.

“Listen, we’re hard at work,” Harris said Monday. “I respect James. I want to, obviously, accommodate what he wants. At the same time, I have to think about a championship-contending team, what we can get back. I’d love to convince him to stay. I understand that that’s not what he wants to do right now.

“I’m going to keep working to resolve it in a way that everyone can live with and is positive for everyone, whatever that resolution is. … I respect him as a basketball player, and as a person. It’s back to, these are, you’re dealing with people, right? And you’ve got to be there. We’ll see where it comes out.”

Harden attempted to increase the pressure on the Sixers to trade him by calling Daryl Morey "a liar" during an event in China.

The Sixers told Harden they intend for him to report to camp after the Los Angeles Clippers reportedly moved on from trade talks.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Backcountry
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,591

Re: Josh Harris: Sixers Working To Convince James Harden To Stay With Sixers 

Post#2 » by Backcountry » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:40 pm

Replace "James Harden" with "Ben Simmons" and this sounds very familiar...
When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,712

Post#3 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:52 pm

No doubt Morey would rather have Harden play another year than even the most fortunate trade return he dares hope for. And if Harden and Embiid finally had a strong playoff run, he would gladly extend James. Having an innovative coach can’t hurt. (But maybe Harden knows that getting Embiid through the playoffs unscathed just never seems to be in the cards.)
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#4 » by HardenGoat » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:15 am

rzzzzz wrote:No doubt Morey would rather have Harden play another year than even the most fortunate trade return he dares hope for. And if Harden and Embiid finally had a strong playoff run, he would gladly extend James. Having an innovative coach can’t hurt. (But maybe Harden knows that getting Embiid through the playoffs unscathed just never seems to be in the cards.)

What it comes down to is, at some point, I hope Harden can put his feelings aside and make another run at it this year with Embiid and Maxey. He made some poor financial decisions and lacked a legit agent. That’s on him. I only want to see him win a chip and Philly is still his best chance. Perhaps they can turn Harris into a better fitting wing prior to the deadline. There’s still some wiggle room to improve. They really weren’t that far away last year, and if Heat strike out on Lillard the east is pretty much open. The Bucks and Celtics didn’t really improve.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#5 » by Knick4Real » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:37 am

The truth is that Harden has created an awful reputation for himself around the league. He's now on the wrong side of 30 and nobody wants him due to his antics, on/off weight gain, and potential to throw a tantrum if he doesn't get his way and what he wants.

He can kick and scream for another month or so -- but unless some team emerges with a legit trade proposal for Morey, Harden's only options might come down to staying in Philly or taking his talents to China.

Return to Wiretap Discussion