Christian Wood, Lakers Agree To Two-Year Deal

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Christian Wood, Lakers Agree To Two-Year Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 6, 2023 2:59 am

Christian Wood has agreed to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers on a two-year deal.

Wood will hold a player option in Year 2.

Wood spent last season with the Dallas Mavericks, but the team did not show interest in re-signing him. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,598

Re: Christian Wood, Lakers Agree To Two-Year Deal 

Post#2 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Sep 6, 2023 3:12 am

This is the way.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 3:39 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:This is the way.

Great move by both because this will help Wood get a deal next off-season playing next to AD. AD can now play PF without issue for good portions of the game. LAL are very deep and have a good amount of talent
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,234

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:10 am

cheese318 wrote:

Great move by both because this will help Wood get a deal next off-season playing next to AD. AD can now play PF without issue for good portions of the game. LAL are very deep and have a good amount of talent

As has always been the case, playing AD at PF would be a mistake. Plus, AD is a far better defender and has got 50 lbs on Wood. If they are both on the court, AD will be in the middle. My guess is that Wood will be coming off the bench in the 45 or so games that AD plays. Good injury insurance for AD though.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#5 » by tigerae » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:28 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

As has always been the case, playing AD at PF would be a mistake. Plus, AD is a far better defender and has got 50 lbs on Wood. If they are both on the court, AD will be in the middle. My guess is that Wood will be coming off the bench in the 45 or so games that AD plays. Good injury insurance for AD though.

AD at the center is where the mistake would happen. Especially when taking on teams with elite centers. Jokic for one, the Lakers would stand no chance. AD cannot play 2 way basketball effectively consistently when he has to guard an elite big man as shown in the Denver series. Now I don't think Wood is the answer there either, but neither is AD at the 5.

They needed a solid defensive minded 5 who's not a liability on the offensive end like they had back in 2020 with Howard and McGee. Without that, their only hope is that they don't meet Denver at all in the playoffs. Injuries or they get taken out by someone else.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by cheese318 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:33 am

tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

AD at the center is where the mistake would happen. Especially when taking on teams with elite centers. Jokic for one, the Lakers would stand no chance. AD cannot play 2 way basketball effectively consistently when he has to guard an elite big man as shown in the Denver series. Now I don't think Wood is the answer there either, but neither is AD at the 5.

They needed a solid defensive minded 5 who's not a liability on the offensive end like they had back in 2020 with Howard and McGee. Without that, their only hope is that they don't meet Denver at all in the playoffs. Injuries or they get taken out by someone else.

Yea Wood is not known for his defense so Jokic would just have his way with him. Javale/Dwight was by far the best combo that year against him. D12 especially gave him fits on defense but Jokic is on a whole different level now so who even knows if he would have that same affect against him
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Anthoine
Junior
And1: 35

Post#7 » by Anthoine » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:40 am

If he plays with a brain, he could be up for 6th man
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by cheese318 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 6:49 am

cheese318 wrote:
tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:As has always been the case, playing AD at PF would be a mistake. Plus, AD is a far better defender and has got 50 lbs on Wood. If they are both on the court, AD will be in the middle. My guess is that Wood will be coming off the bench in the 45 or so games that AD plays. Good injury insurance for AD though.

Yea Wood is not known for his defense so Jokic would just have his way with him. Javale/Dwight was by far the best combo in the playoffs that really made get out to his own game. D12 especially gave him fits on defense but Jokic is on a whole different level now so who even knows if he would have that same affect against him
Hoopzilla wrote:
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#9 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:41 am

It's a good pickup. I dont like the lebron lead lakers. But it's a signing any team with championship Hope's would do who already have a title contending team without him. But how does he get in the rotation over jarred Vanderbilt. I'd rather have defense over offense in the lakers case. Rui hum... can hold down the pf spot full time. I'd actually prefer jaxson hayes over wood as well. Hes either going to complain or get traded. Lakers are to deep for him. He only gets meaningful minutes when ad is out which is probably where he adds depth.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#10 » by haste10176 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:14 am

donaldtrump_00 wrote:It's a good pickup. I dont like the lebron lead lakers. But it's a signing any team with championship Hope's would do who already have a title contending team without him. But how does he get in the rotation over jarred Vanderbilt. I'd rather have defense over offense in the lakers case. Rui hum... can hold down the pf spot full time. I'd actually prefer jaxson hayes over wood as well. Hes either going to complain or get traded. Lakers are to deep for him. He only gets meaningful minutes when ad is out which is probably where he adds depth.

The 2020 lebron championship lead team the team that threw together at the last minute and came from 13th to the wcfs you dont like that team
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#11 » by haste10176 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:16 am

cheese318 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
tigerae wrote:

Yea Wood is not known for his defense so Jokic would just have his way with him. Javale/Dwight was by far the best combo in the playoffs that really made get out to his own game. D12 especially gave him fits on defense but Jokic is on a whole different level now so who even knows if he would have that same affect against him

Jokic is better but the whole team played great if you switched kcp for beasley you could have a different result in that series..
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,012

Post#12 » by Liam_Gallagher » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:00 am

DLo/Vincent
Reaves/Redish
James/Prince
Rui/Vando
AD/Wood
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#13 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 1:09 pm

haste10176 wrote:
donaldtrump_00 wrote:It's a good pickup. I dont like the lebron lead lakers. But it's a signing any team with championship Hope's would do who already have a title contending team without him. But how does he get in the rotation over jarred Vanderbilt. I'd rather have defense over offense in the lakers case. Rui hum... can hold down the pf spot full time. I'd actually prefer jaxson hayes over wood as well. Hes either going to complain or get traded. Lakers are to deep for him. He only gets meaningful minutes when ad is out which is probably where he adds depth.

The 2020 lebron championship lead team the team that threw together at the last minute and came from 13th to the wcfs you dont like that team

No I don't like a lebron lead team. Reason why hes not the goat. We all know his stance. Win two more rings and talk lies. It's not the lakers its him. But he has a chance with this roster. I rather him lose with a top 5 team so he can make no excuses after they lose. Looks like he created another super team. I put the Grizzlies over them in a playoff series when there healthy. If the bucks healthy I think they can beat them to. Depending on who the suns add on there roster before playoff time they will be a threat to beat them also. Lakers are better then rather warriors, and most the east teams. And the clippers healthy will destroy them also. Maybe Denver still with a replacement for Bruce brown.
Ian Scuffling
Senior
And1: 403

Post#14 » by Ian Scuffling » Wed Sep 6, 2023 1:27 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:
haste10176 wrote:

No I don't like a lebron lead team. Reason why hes not the goat. We all know his stance. Win two more rings and talk lies. It's not the lakers its him. But he has a chance with this roster. I rather him lose with a top 5 team so he can make no excuses after they lose. Looks like he created another super team. I put the Grizzlies over them in a playoff series when there healthy. If the bucks healthy I think they can beat them to. Depending on who the suns add on there roster before playoff time they will be a threat to beat them also. Lakers are better then rather warriors, and most the east teams. And the clippers healthy will destroy them also. Maybe Denver still with a replacement for Bruce brown.

Wait, the reason why James is not the goat is because you don't like him? LMAO...And are you still comparing this James with prime James? Just dumb. You do realize that he is not in his prime anymore, correct? Meaning he can't and shouldn't be judged as if he is? That concept may be hard for you to understand, but chew on it for a while.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,234

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Sep 6, 2023 7:03 pm

cheese318 wrote:
tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:As has always been the case, playing AD at PF would be a mistake. Plus, AD is a far better defender and has got 50 lbs on Wood. If they are both on the court, AD will be in the middle. My guess is that Wood will be coming off the bench in the 45 or so games that AD plays. Good injury insurance for AD though.

Yea Wood is not known for his defense so Jokic would just have his way with him. Javale/Dwight was by far the best combo that year against him. D12 especially gave him fits on defense but Jokic is on a whole different level now so who even knows if he would have that same affect against him

AD can't guard out on the perimeter anymore. They'd get small balled to death in most situations. Jokic is a unique situation that no centers are fully equipped to handle... but AD will handle it better than most and far better than Wood.

In 19/20 Javale was their token starter at center, averaging under 10 minutes per game. It was a way to placate AD, who does not want to be listed as a center. Javale and Dwight combined to average 26 MPG in those playoffs. Together they averaged what a single backup center would average. LAL can start whoever they want and list AD at any position he wants, but he needs to play the bulk of his minutes at center... which is where he has always been the most successful. This also has to do with Lebron defending PF's better than he defends SF's. AD at C is better for the team.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by cheese318 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:58 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
tigerae wrote:

AD can't guard out on the perimeter anymore. They'd get small balled to death in most situations. Jokic is a unique situation that no centers are fully equipped to handle... but AD will handle it better than most and far better than Wood.

In 19/20 Javale was their token starter at center, averaging under 10 minutes per game. It was a way to placate AD, who does not want to be listed as a center. Javale and Dwight combined to average 26 MPG in those playoffs. Together they averaged what a single backup center would average. LAL can start whoever they want and list AD at any position he wants, but he needs to play the bulk of his minutes at center... which is where he has always been the most successful. This also has to do with Lebron defending PF's better than he defends SF's. AD at C is better for the team.

As I expected and now being reported by ESPN/Dave McMenamin Anthony Davis went to management this off-season “ Sources told ESPN that Davis made it clear to the organization he wanted to have more support at center so he wouldn't have to play so much 5 during the regular season” and I believe he’ll play to start the game and to finish games at the Center position. When it comes to playoff time I believe this whole plan gets thrown out the window and he’ll do whatever it takes to win. This report could hold no water but this has always been how he felt especially with his injury history
Hoopzilla wrote:

Return to Wiretap Discussion