Canada Advances To Semifinals With 100-89 Win Over Slovenia; Luka Doncic Ejected

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Canada Advances To Semifinals With 100-89 Win Over Slovenia; Luka Doncic Ejected 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 6, 2023 3:35 pm

Canada defeated Slovenia 100-89 to advance to the semifinals of the FIBA World Cup.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander scored 31 points, RJ Barrett added 24.

Canada will play Serbia for a trip to the final.

Luka Doncic had 26 points for Slovenia, but was ejected with 6:37 remaining in the game. Slovenia was down by 15 at the time. Slovenia still has a chance at the Olympics, but will have to win a qualifying tournament next July.

Via ESPN

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Canada Advances To Semifinals With 100-89 Win Over Slovenia; Luka Doncic Ejected 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:03 pm

I wish the NBA would eject people for flopping. Flopping destroys the game and Lukas's a POS.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Starzz13
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Canada Advances To Semifinals With 100-89 Win Over Slovenia; Luka Doncic Ejected 

Post#3 » by Starzz13 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 7:03 pm

He wasn't ejected for flopping, but sure. Go off. Use his ejection as fuel for your irrational hatred of a guy who has no idea you exist.

Barcs wrote:I wish the NBA would eject people for flopping. Flopping destroys the game and Lukas's a POS.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#4 » by alienpick » Wed Sep 6, 2023 9:27 pm

Starzz13 wrote:He wasn't ejected for flopping, but sure. Go off. Use his ejection as fuel for your irrational hatred of a guy who has no idea you exist.

Barcs wrote:I wish the NBA would eject people for flopping. Flopping destroys the game and Lukas's a POS.

Says the guy who is aggressively defending a guy who has no idea he exists. :lol:
Starzz13
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Starzz13 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:38 pm

I'm "aggressively defending" him just like Luka was ejected for flopping.

alienpick wrote:
Starzz13 wrote:He wasn't ejected for flopping, but sure. Go off. Use his ejection as fuel for your irrational hatred of a guy who has no idea you exist.

Says the guy who is aggressively defending a guy who has no idea he exists. :lol:
beefymajesto
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#6 » by beefymajesto » Thu Sep 7, 2023 2:11 am

I would say he was ejected for getting upset his flops weren't getting calls, so flop adjacent I'd say.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,789

Post#7 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 4:03 am

I'm not sure I exist.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#8 » by jozef » Thu Sep 7, 2023 9:10 am

Flopping does not destroy anything.
Flopping player stops to play and his opponent has clear path to the basket on the offense or ball control on the defense. That's hell of advantage and enough of punishment!

Furthermore Flopping should not be called!
What does ruin the game is missing the foul plus calling for Flopping. That's huge swing. Often players get in heated conversation and get awarded with another foul. One mistake is doubled or trippled in damage and it does ruin the integrity of the game.
Basically calling for a Flop pushes the referee figure into the game cause it is all about player reputedly cheating THE REFEREE. But if the referee is mentally strong enough he should not be bothered by it and if he lets the play to continue then he he is still in the charge without useless interruption of the game.

Say yesterday a Latvian player posted up smaller Dennis Schroeder. He used his shoulder to bang him down, on third take Dennis went to the floor. Now who can seriously estimate what power should Dennis endure? Say 50 Newton is obvious no-foul, 150 Newton is obvious foul. Where is the border? How you could know how hard he hit him in the torso, what is his leg position, where is his center of gravity right in that moment?
I saw it as an offensive foul. The referee called for Flopping. Latvia made one free throw, got another possession, Schroeder got foul (one more technical and he would get eject), Germany collected a one foul closer to bonus limit.
If the referee would let the play go, the Latvian player would score 2 points on layup and the game would go on.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#9 » by Barcs » Thu Sep 7, 2023 5:41 pm

That's what the article I read said. Guess it was wrong. Either way flopping still sucks and Luka's still a bitch.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#10 » by Barcs » Thu Sep 7, 2023 5:50 pm

jozef wrote:

Flopping does not destroy anything.
Flopping player stops to play and his opponent has clear path to the basket on the offense or ball control on the defense. That's hell of advantage and enough of punishment!

Furthermore Flopping should not be called!
What does ruin the game is missing the foul plus calling for Flopping. That's huge swing. Often players get in heated conversation and get awarded with another foul. One mistake is doubled or trippled in damage and it does ruin the integrity of the game.
Basically calling for a Flop pushes the referee figure into the game cause it is all about player reputedly cheating THE REFEREE. But if the referee is mentally strong enough he should not be bothered by it and if he lets the play to continue then he he is still in the charge without useless interruption of the game.

Disagree completely. Flopping ruins the integrity of the game. People shouldn't be trying to deceive referees for cheap calls. Fines don't do anything because it's like charging you or me 50 cents. Nobody cares when that's .0001% of their net worth, they see winning as more important by far, so the punishment should affect that and flopping should absolutely be called.

LOL @ mentally strong refs. They can always check the video replay if they are not sure and it must be conclusive. IF there were real consequences for flopping, people would stop doing it, but players are mostly rewarded for it. That's why the NBA has become a joke in recent decades. Taking a charge isn't flopping.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by jozef » Thu Sep 7, 2023 7:09 pm

Barcs wrote:People shouldn't be trying to deceive referees for cheap calls.
IF there were real consequences for flopping, people would stop doing it, but players are mostly rewarded for it.

It is referee's job to make right calls. Nobody is interested to watch if they are deceived or not. They are HIDDEN part of the game. Calling flopping made them invaders to the integrity of the game. It does also make them prone to multiply their mistakes.
And I repeat it, flopping player gives AN ADVANTAGE to his opponent if the referee makes NO CALL. Look at Steph Curry, as a shooter he has a right for safe landing, still many times defenders go under his feet without call. Enforcing Flopping Rule would push referees to make tough decision, award Steph with "AND ONE" or call a FLOP. Or they would interrupt the game to watch a replay and value the gray area.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#12 » by LiSTWithLani » Sat Sep 9, 2023 2:34 pm

jozef wrote:
IF there were real consequences for flopping, people would stop doing it, but players are mostly rewarded for it.

It is referee's job to make right calls. Nobody is interested to watch if they are deceived or not. They are HIDDEN part of the game. Calling flopping made them invaders to the integrity of the game. It does also make them prone to multiply their mistakes.
And I repeat it, flopping player gives AN ADVANTAGE to his opponent if the referee makes NO CALL. Look at Steph Curry, as a shooter he has a right for safe landing, still many times defenders go under his feet without call. Enforcing Flopping Rule would push referees to make tough decision, award Steph with "AND ONE" or call a FLOP. Or they would interrupt the game to watch a replay and value the gray area.

Totally agree with you. I'd rather see the referees without as much control over the outcome of the game. A "no-call" results in the offensive player having an uncontested shot, or a 5 on 4 man advantage. That's enough of an incentive to not flop in my opinion.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#13 » by Barcs » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:16 pm

jozef wrote:

Of course it's their job to make right calls, but it's easy for players to flop and the ref not notice it in real time. That's why I mentioned video replay. Review potential flops and penalize the team for it. It's not basketball, it's acting.

Nope, pretending to get hit when you didn't get hit is ruining the integrity of the game, not refs calling penalties for it. What a silly take.

Defenders going under people's feet is normally called a flagrant now unless they kick out the feet. I understand refs miss it sometimes, but it's NOT a flop, that's actually a very dangerous play and can get people injured.

No, it doesn't require refs to make a tough decision. You can require that flopping penalties are reviewed on replay so you can actually tell if the person was hit and if it's not conclusively a flop, there is no penalty. The expectation would be that this would become rarer and rarer over time since it would discourage players from doing it.

This type of crap should not happen:

Barcs
Veteran

Post#14 » by Barcs » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:18 pm

LiSTWithLani wrote:Totally agree with you. I'd rather see the referees without as much control over the outcome of the game. A "no-call" results in the offensive player having an uncontested shot, or a 5 on 4 man advantage. That's enough of an incentive to not flop in my opinion.

What? They already have control over the game as they can invoke fouls basically whenever they want to. Shouldn't getting a call right be important instead of rewarding people for acting? Problem is refs can't watch the game in slow motion to see if they are flopping or not, so they will give the call to the player when there is doubt. Guarantee it.

Plus on "AND ONES" it absolutely doesn't create an advantage for the opponent.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by jozef » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:36 pm

In that video Carlos Boozer made a contact with Chris Bosh's face. If it was NO CALL, then Carlos would have CLEAR PATH to the basket - that's the ADVANTAGE.
If they call a foul, that's it, a mistake. So right here Chris sold potentially very dangerous elbow hit and I feel no sorry for Carlos.
No need for penalties and flopping addition circus.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#16 » by Barcs » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:19 pm

jozef wrote:In that video Carlos Boozer made a contact with Chris Bosh's face. If it was NO CALL, then Carlos would have CLEAR PATH to the basket - that's the ADVANTAGE.
If they call a foul, that's it, a mistake. So right here Chris sold potentially very dangerous elbow hit and I feel no sorry for Carlos.
No need for penalties and flopping addition circus.

Watch the video more closely, or check an HD version, he misses him.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by jozef » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:52 am

I could not find HD version, 480 p is max and it does look that Carlos made slight contact with his right elbow. Still dangerous move, no sorrow for him.

Return to Wiretap Discussion