Re: Heat Considered Most Likely Team To Sign Kelly Oubre Jr.

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Heat Considered Most Likely Team To Sign Kelly Oubre Jr. 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:15 pm

The Miami Heat are widely expected to sign Kelly Oubre Jr. if they eventually trade for Damian Lillard this offseason, reports Marc Stein of Substack.

Oubre is the most prominent player who remains a free agent. Oubre averaged 20.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 32.2 minutes with the Charlotte Hornets.

Oubre is coming off a two-year, $26 million contracts with the Hornets.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,070

Post#2 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:02 pm

What is Stein even talking about. Are they expecting to get him for the veteran minimum? Because that's about all left from Miami.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#3 » by deepeeenn » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:08 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:What is Stein even talking about. Are they expecting to get him for the veteran minimum? Because that's about all left from Miami.

Yes, most likely. A lot of free agency money has dried up. Most teams might only have exceptions left and don’t want to sign him. Hence, why he’s still on the market. I’m not surprised there’s talk of this since he really doesn’t really impact winning in a more substantial role. Not even sure he’ll fit in with the Heat tbh. That’s mostly due to him not being able to truly buy in with GSW years ago.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:53 am

deepeeenn wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:What is Stein even talking about. Are they expecting to get him for the veteran minimum? Because that's about all left from Miami.

Yes, most likely. A lot of free agency money has dried up. Most teams might only have exceptions left and don’t want to sign him. Hence, why he’s still on the market. I’m not surprised there’s talk of this since he really doesn’t really impact winning in a more substantial role. Not even sure he’ll fit in with the Heat tbh. That’s mostly due to him not being able to truly buy in with GSW years ago.

CHA has his Early-Bird rights... so they could help facilitate with an S&T.
MIA also still has their $5m Tax-MLE... which is the most realistic scenario.
deepeeenn
Senior

Post#5 » by deepeeenn » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:15 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:

Kelly Oubre Jr. has agreed to a one-year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers.

Oubre spent the past two seasons with the Charlotte Hornets and averaged 20.3 points last season.

Oubre gives the Sixers depth on the wing after losing Georges Niang, Jalen McDaniels and Shake Milton.

Minimum deal as I expected. No one really wanted to pay Oubre more than that

Read on Twitter
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:45 pm

deepeeenn wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:

Oubre spent the past two seasons with the Charlotte Hornets and averaged 20.3 points last season.

Oubre gives the Sixers depth on the wing after losing Georges Niang, Jalen McDaniels and Shake Milton.

OK... thanks for keeping me up to date with your expectations?
deepeeenn
Senior

Post#7 » by deepeeenn » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:51 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:CHA has his Early-Bird rights... so they could help facilitate with an S&T.

Look. Yeah I responded to a post a from a week ago but If I read correctly, Johnny Balls comment suggested a vet min was ridiculous and your comment suggested two alternative scenarios where he’d sign for more. My argument was always teams don’t value him that highly and that’s partly why he’s sat for so long on the free agency market. So maybe me keeping you up to date is so you can recalibrate your expectations…
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 pm

deepeeenn wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:

Look. Yeah I responded to a post a from a week ago but If I read correctly, Johnny Balls comment suggested a vet min was ridiculous and your comment suggested two alternative scenarios where he’d sign for more. My argument was always teams don’t value him that highly and that’s partly why he’s sat for so long on the free agency market. So maybe me keeping you up to date is so you can recalibrate your expectations…

Go read my post again; it was actually many alternative scenarios to Oubre getting the minimum in MIA. He didn't sign in MIA. My comment was about the idea that "free agency money has dried up" rather than about my valuation of Oubre. Any team under the apron could have acquired him. I had no expectation of where he would end up, but for what it's worth, PHI is a better situation for him than MIA.

Return to Wiretap Discussion