Damian Lillard Expanded Trade List To Bucks, Nets While Resisting Raptors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Damian Lillard Expanded Trade List To Bucks, Nets While Resisting Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:58 pm

Damian Lillard communicated to the Portland Trail Blazers that he was willing to be patient and let the season play out if it meant he could eventually be traded to the Miami Heat.

Lillard has been working out at the Blazers' practice facility over the past two weeks, interacting with players and coaches.

Joe Cronin expressed skepticism about Lillard beginning training camp with the Blazers and it became clear they would try to resolve the trade situation before media day on Oct. 2.

Lillard believed his loyalty to the Blazers since he was drafted in 2012 meant they would accommodate him with his trade request to the Heat. Lillard wanted the Blazers to try to find a workable deal with the Heat and that wish went unfulfilled. 

Lillard's camp had a realization that he would need to begin to seriously consider the possibility of playing somewhere other than Miami.

Cronin stopped responding to all communication from Lillard's agent, Aaron Goodwin, in mid-September as tension increased between both sides.

Once Lillard was convinced a trade to the Heat was virtually impossible, sources say he came open to the prospect of playing for the Brooklyn Nets and Milwaukee Bucks. The Toronto Raptors had serious increase, but his disinterest in playing for that franchise remained an obstacle. 

Via Shams Charania, Sam Amick/The Athletic

RookieJazz
Junior
And1: 43

Re: Damian Lillard Expanded Trade List To Bucks, Nets While Resisting Raptors 

Post#2 » by RookieJazz » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:45 pm

I think Nets could have offered more than Bucks
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#3 » by bqmuzik » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:50 pm

RookieJazz wrote:I think Nets could have offered more than Bucks

I agree...im actually shocked that BKN couldnt have put a Godfather package together in relation to these other teams. They have a ransom of 3 and D wings which are the most valuable plaeyrs to flip in the league. You send O'Neale one place, Finney-Smith another and you have multiple 1sts to work with. Maybe Portland didnt feel they could flip Dinwiddie
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 204

Post#4 » by puja21 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:23 pm

bqmuzik wrote:

I agree...im actually shocked that BKN couldnt have put a Godfather package together in relation to these other teams. They have a ransom of 3 and D wings which are the most valuable plaeyrs to flip in the league. You send O'Neale one place, Finney-Smith another and you have multiple 1sts to work with. Maybe Portland didnt feel they could flip Dinwiddie

They definitely had tons of picks

All the suns picks from KD

Plus Sixers pick in 2027

And one from the Mavericks
rastasimba
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#5 » by rastasimba » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 pm

It’s not surprising BKN didn’t get Dame. Blazers gifting Dame to the Bucks is Small market team helping small market team out.
SleepingDragon
Senior
And1: 491

Post#6 » by SleepingDragon » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:05 pm

And the Nets didn't even make an offer for the 33 year old Lillard.

They're squarely in rebuilding mode.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,520

Post#7 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:05 pm

Resisted Raps??? O Boy O Boy he's not gonna be popular here in RealGM
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
eureca20
Junior
And1: 82

Post#8 » by eureca20 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:15 pm

SleepingDragon wrote:

And the Nets didn't even make an offer for the 33 year old Lillard.

They're squarely in rebuilding mode.

Which I think is smart. The Nets are not winning a championship with Dame. So you are sending a crap load of picks in order to be a middle of the pack playoff team? Yes the Nets young players can continue to get better, but Dame is only getting worse every year. You only trade for Dame if you are getting him for a massive discount or you are competing for a championship immediately.

Same reason it didn't make sense for the Raptors to trade for him. Raptors are not the same level team they were when they traded for Kawhi. Most importantly Damian Lillard is not Kawhi Leonard. Also Raptors got Kawhi for very cheap because he was a likely rental and wouldn't re-sign.
Jay Mail
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Jay Mail » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:19 am

Raps fans don't want him anyways for what it would have cost. Good for him and Giannis, but he won't be getting much luv in the North
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:35 pm

Now all we need is Jrue getting traded to Miami and the Heat winning a championship :nod:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion