Bucks Did Not Consult Giannis Antetokounmpo Before Making Damian Lillard Trade

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Bucks Did Not Consult Giannis Antetokounmpo Before Making Damian Lillard Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:17 pm

The Milwaukee Bucks did not approach Giannis Antetokounmpo before they moved forward with their trade of Jrue Holiday for Damian Lillard.

"Directly, he literally played no role," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "In fact, Jon Horst did not bring this trade idea or sign off on it to Giannis Antetokounmpo because Jrue Holiday was involved. And the relationship there and the reverence that this organization and these players have for Holiday. He did not want to put that to Giannis Antetokounmpo and have him have that on his conscious necessarily that he might sign off or not sign off on it."

The Bucks believe their trade for Lillard improves their title odds, while also increasing the likelihood Antetokounmpo chooses to eventually sign an extension.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Re: Bucks Did Not Consult Giannis Antetokounmpo Before Making Damian Lillard Trade 

Post#2 » by bqmuzik » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Giannis heard he was getting Dame.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,922

Re: Bucks Did Not Consult Giannis Antetokounmpo Before Making Damian Lillard Trade 

Post#3 » by JJ_PR » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:52 pm

It was a very nice birthday surprise for Giannis. I hope he's happy with the trade, I know I would be.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,298

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:13 pm

they didn't have to. everyone and his brother knows gianni likes dame
akula1488
Bench Warmer
And1: 460

Post#5 » by akula1488 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:22 pm

Only two players they can get without approval from Giannis. Dame or Steph…
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,970

Post#6 » by Memories » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:45 pm

Don’t worry, I’m sure it didn’t require any consulting to acquire Dame Lillard. :lol:
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,879

Post#7 » by Beethoven » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:12 pm

I think that was very cool on the organization to do this. It shows they care for the team's bonding and relationships with each other, and was one step ahead being sensitive to that.

or it could mean they just didnt consult Giannis bc they couldnt give a rat's azz :lol:
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,525

Post#8 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:01 pm

Surprise!! You have a new coworker now
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#9 » by Knick4Real » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:56 am

Wait a minute...

We're supposed to believe Giannis -- the man who refused to sign an extension unless the front office improved the team -- was completely in the dark about a trade involving Jrue OUT and Dame IN???

Yeah, nice try, Milwaukee! :roll:
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#10 » by We Are Groot » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:40 am

Knick4Real wrote:Wait a minute...

We're supposed to believe Giannis -- the man who refused to sign an extension unless the front office improved the team -- was completely in the dark about a trade involving Jrue OUT and Dame IN???

If u’ve kept tabs on Horst, u’d kno this is very much his MO.

lots are fixating on Dame IN … think sharing this was more abt Jrue OUT. That’s the part that wlda bn difficult for Giannis imo … going this route gives Giannis plausible deniability when it comes to sending Jrue packing

Altho I think all’a that goes up in smoke once Giannis gets on the court with Dame. They shld be a dynamic pairing …
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#11 » by Lalouie » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:21 am

i believe this. jrue has a league-wide rep as one of the good guys.

he has been well liked everywhere he's been, by team, players, and fans alike. i don't think giannis or anyone else would want to have the trading of jrue on his conscience. particularly since jrue put them over the top, and mil had the best record in the nba last year anyway. part of the team's season has to be on giannis's injury

when you mull these things over, no one wants jrue to go. just like i'm sure they didn't want the firing of bud on their conscience either. it was an FO decision thru and thru
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#12 » by Lalouie » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:29 am

Knick4Real wrote:Wait a minute...

he says this every year and it's just good business sense to keep thing open. what if giannis signed and something REALLY disasterous and undexpected happens

and even if you believe yourself, and thinking about what giannis said,,,,,we're talking about jrue holiday not some shmoe
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,254

Post#13 » by Wallace_Wallace » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:25 pm

Not saying Woj lied, but the Bucks probably have talked to Giannis about who he prefers to with in the NBA and which teammates he may need to sacrifice.
Melwing
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#14 » by Melwing » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:54 am

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if giannis told him to say that so that his relationship with holiday was not impacted

Return to Wiretap Discussion