Clippers Want To Trade For James Harden But Won't Increase Offer

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Clippers Want To Trade For James Harden But Won't Increase Offer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:14 pm

Ahead of the Philadelphia 76ers first preseason game, ESPN NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski said that a James Harden trade remains on the table. The LA Clippers would like to acquire Harden "sooner, rather than later" per Wojnarowski.

However, LA sees no reason to increase their offer to get to Harden, because they believe they are the only team bidding for the veteran guard. The Clippers have been working on three-team possibilities. In those scenarios, some of their veteran players would land with a third team, with draft assets being routed to Philadelphia.

Wojnarowski also said that the Sixers may keep Harden into the season. Some in Philadelphia believe that if he's committed to playing, he's better than anyone the team could acquire in a trade. The 76ers intend to remain a title contender this season, with or without Harden.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Re: Clippers Want To Trade For James Harden But Won't Increase Offer 

Post#2 » by tigerae » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:55 pm

The Sixers front office obviously has some big issues if players keep wanting out. Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons, now Harden. I can almost understand any one of these players being difficult , but because it keeps happening over and over again I'm thinking it may not be the players after all.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,063

Post#3 » by HotelVitale » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:14 pm

tigerae wrote:The Sixers front office obviously has some big issues if players keep wanting out. Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons, now Harden. I can almost understand any one of these players being difficult , but because it keeps happening over and over again I'm thinking it may not be the players after all.

See why you might think that but it's a pretty superficial read of the situation. First those things happened under different coaches and GMs/FOs, and second those things all happened for obvious individual reasons. Butler didn't want out--he just wasn't offered a full max by a stupid FO--and then Simmons quit on the team because of the well-known Simmons nonsense. Then Harden wanted out because he kept sucking at make-or-break PO moments and Morey wouldn't give him a long contract two years in a row.

Definitely lots of mistakes made along the way, but two of those three things were just contract disputes and the third was one of the weirdest personality things in NBA history. I'd say the problem has been that the plan keeps shifting, and the team hasn't had a clear core they're rocking with. Leaves things more open to ruptures that with most good teams.
SleepingDragon
Senior
And1: 491

Post#4 » by SleepingDragon » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:24 pm

So did the Heat with DAME, see how well that end up?
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:50 pm

Yo everyone know he going Knick bro!
JKiddy
Sixth Man
And1: 330

Post#6 » by JKiddy » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:59 pm

MegaK wrote:Yo everyone know he going Knick bro!

Yo MegaK wit dat inside scoop! He's never been right but who is stoppin' this guy? HE DA MAN! MegaK for PREZ SON!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,396

Post#7 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:23 am

How can they even be wondering If he's committed to playing. They are just not listening.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#8 » by tigerae » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:43 am

HotelVitale wrote:
tigerae wrote:The Sixers front office obviously has some big issues if players keep wanting out. Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons, now Harden. I can almost understand any one of these players being difficult , but because it keeps happening over and over again I'm thinking it may not be the players after all.

See why you might think that but it's a pretty superficial read of the situation. First those things happened under different coaches and GMs/FOs, and second those things all happened for obvious individual reasons. Butler didn't want out--he just wasn't offered a full max by a stupid FO--and then Simmons quit on the team because of the well-known Simmons nonsense. Then Harden wanted out because he kept sucking at make-or-break PO moments and Morey wouldn't give him a long contract two years in a row.

Definitely lots of mistakes made along the way, but two of those three things were just contract disputes and the third was one of the weirdest personality things in NBA history. I'd say the problem has been that the plan keeps shifting, and the team hasn't had a clear core they're rocking with. Leaves things more open to ruptures that with most good teams.

https://youtu.be/NP5_CKXdvjQ

The video of Butler saying "Tobias Harris over me" says they didn't handle it properly. Jimmy didn't want out initially, but that changed when the team didn't give him the max he wanted. Similar with Harden, he initially took less money so they can sign players like Tucker and House with the promise of getting the max in the future. Since they didn't give him the max after he took less to help the team, he now wants out.

Simmons is a wild card and I guess we will see which Simmons comes to play this season with the Nets now that he's 100%. To me it looked like the team as a whole gave up on him and took away his confidence. He also had psychological issues and injuries, but they just gave up on him.

Maybe different coaching staff and different parts of the FO, but the owner and some of his guys could be in the background calling some of the shots. This is from someone looking from the outside, so I don't know the inner workings of the team but the Butler and Harden situations are extremely similar. They were promised money and then weren't offered that money. Simmons could be a wild card, but imo the team didn't handle that properly either.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#9 » by HotelVitale » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:07 am

tigerae wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

The video of Butler saying "Tobias Harris over me" says they didn't handle it properly. Jimmy didn't want out initially, but that changed when the team didn't give him the max he wanted. Similar with Harden, he initially took less money so they can sign players like Tucker and House with the promise of getting the max in the future. Since they didn't give him the max after he took less to help the team, he now wants out.

Simmons is a wild card and I guess we will see which Simmons comes to play this season with the Nets now that he's 100%. To me it looked like the team as a whole gave up on him and took away his confidence. He also had psychological issues and injuries, but they just gave up on him.

Maybe different coaching staff and different parts of the FO, but the owner and some of his guys could be in the background calling some of the shots. This is from someone looking from the outside, so I don't know the inner workings of the team but the Butler and Harden situations are extremely similar. They were promised money and then weren't offered that money. Simmons could be a wild card, but imo the team didn't handle that properly either.

It's possible that ownership is behind the Harden thing but the other things are just their own situations--three very different situations that involved different people on both sides. An old and very bad FO led by Brett Brown made a ridiculously awful decision to max Tobias Harris and not Butler, and that was 100% on that FO. (They could've easily signed both too). Then Simmons quit on the team after being embarrassing himself in the ATL series (and then getting relentlessly mocked by the media); even if you blame the one little comment from Doc Rivers saying 'I don't know the answer to that and I'm not going to talk about it' when asked about Simmons' play, cool that's on Doc Rivers. But he wasn't the coach during Butler's time and isn't the coach now. (Doc also spent years mindlessly backing up Simmons and saying how awesome he was, so you'd have to have a really really low opinion of Simmons to think he needed to shatter to pieces the first time the coach said something that wasn't 100% supportive).

And the assumption that Harden was 'promised' a huge deal is a really bad one, given that absolutely no one was talking about a deal longer than 3 years in 2022 (remember Harden was terrible in the 2022 PO and looked much worse than he did this past season). It's a big stretch to think a capped-out team would've promised an aging player coming off a very weak season a 5-year max that started when he was 34. I won't go into that much here but even if you want believe some version of that, that would be on Daryl Morey.

I don't mind criticizing the Sixers all day, most Sixers fans don't. Morey's arrogant and Rivers was thick, ownership seems a little clownish too. But it sounds like you have to create caricatures of these situations--Simmons being bullied, Harden being baldly lied to--to make them part of some team-wide shakiness. And if those things were true it would mean a very, very dysfunctional team. Outside of those things, you really don't hear a whole lot weird or bad about the Sixers' current internal organization. Most players and staff seem to have a good if boring experience with it.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#10 » by HardenGoat » Mon Oct 9, 2023 5:19 am

I think what happened was Embiid wanted Tucker and Morey found a way to get him by having Harden take the discount. Harden was promised he would be taken care of on the next contract. What they didn’t realize was the NBA investigated and found tampering, thus the loss of two second rounders. That alone put any max contract in jeopardy and Harden realized it, any future signing was going to be scrutinized. The last thing Josh Harris wanted was another investigation that could result in crippling penalties. So they went silent and Harden had to set the stage that he could get a max somewhere else. That would at least allow the Sixers to offer a max type contract without the league speculating about the discount motive. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was even leaked to him at some point which in its own right would reduce speculation that they had agreed on something earlier, they could simply say they are matching it. Houston was the only team capable of this, but it didn’t work. I doubt Harden even wanted to go to a non contender like the rockets, his motive is a chip. That’s why he had kept his contracts flexible after leaving the rockets despite the loss of money he was incurring. There is no way there wasn’t an agreement between morey and him, if you refuse to believe that it’s because you have homerism glasses on. There’s also no way the Sixers would have just let Harden walk to Houston for nothing. Harden basically got screwed, and it was directly a result of what Morey wanted to accomplish earlier.
Ssj16
Senior
And1: 617

Post#11 » by Ssj16 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 11:44 am

I'm not saying that the Sixers front office are gurus but I would put this more on the players as all 3 of those guys have had issues in multiple situations
kanyon
Junior
And1: 232

Post#12 » by kanyon » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:57 pm

If he refuses to play then he's worth nothing and is just eating up a ton of cap. I don't blame the Clips.
IkeDoIt
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#13 » by IkeDoIt » Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:07 pm

This article used the term “remain a title contender very loosely for a team that aint made it to an ECF yet
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#14 » by Huey Freeman » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:22 pm

Morey...just rip the band-aid off and take Clippers offer....just get it over with because NO team is giving you true value for James Harden now.
Revolution starts in the mind...
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,869

Post#15 » by Paz » Mon Oct 9, 2023 5:09 pm

SleepingDragon wrote:So did the Heat with DAME, see how well that end up?

It went perfectly. The HEAT got to keep Jimmy and Bam. They probably wouldn't have made it far without both of them. Even if you added Dame.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,312

Post#16 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:01 pm

we want him but we dont want him that badly
james is in limbo land, every contending team including philly feels this way

owners fighting back or took b12 this morning
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,231

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:47 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
tigerae wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

It's possible that ownership is behind the Harden thing but the other things are just their own situations--three very different situations that involved different people on both sides. An old and very bad FO led by Brett Brown made a ridiculously awful decision to max Tobias Harris and not Butler, and that was 100% on that FO. (They could've easily signed both too). Then Simmons quit on the team after being embarrassing himself in the ATL series (and then getting relentlessly mocked by the media); even if you blame the one little comment from Doc Rivers saying 'I don't know the answer to that and I'm not going to talk about it' when asked about Simmons' play, cool that's on Doc Rivers. But he wasn't the coach during Butler's time and isn't the coach now. (Doc also spent years mindlessly backing up Simmons and saying how awesome he was, so you'd have to have a really really low opinion of Simmons to think he needed to shatter to pieces the first time the coach said something that wasn't 100% supportive).

And the assumption that Harden was 'promised' a huge deal is a really bad one, given that absolutely no one was talking about a deal longer than 3 years in 2022 (remember Harden was terrible in the 2022 PO and looked much worse than he did this past season). It's a big stretch to think a capped-out team would've promised an aging player coming off a very weak season a 5-year max that started when he was 34. I won't go into that much here but even if you want believe some version of that, that would be on Daryl Morey.

I don't mind criticizing the Sixers all day, most Sixers fans don't. Morey's arrogant and Rivers was thick, ownership seems a little clownish too. But it sounds like you have to create caricatures of these situations--Simmons being bullied, Harden being baldly lied to--to make them part of some team-wide shakiness. And if those things were true it would mean a very, very dysfunctional team. Outside of those things, you really don't hear a whole lot weird or bad about the Sixers' current internal organization. Most players and staff seem to have a good if boring experience with it.

By "max contract" most people are talking about max money, not max years. If PHI came with 2+1 with a team option on the third season at max$, the two sides would at least still be talking. If it was a player option this deal would have been done on day-1 of free agency. It's the money, not the years, that has Harden upset.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,231

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:48 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
tigerae wrote:https://youtu.be/NP5_CKXdvjQ

By "max contract" most people are talking about max money, not max years. If PHI came with 2+1 with a team option on the third season at max$, the two sides would at least still be talking. If it was a 2+1 with a player option this deal would have been done on day-1 of free agency. It's the money, not the years, that has Harden upset.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Mon Oct 9, 2023 9:17 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
tigerae wrote:https://youtu.be/NP5_CKXdvjQ

By "max contract" most people are talking about max money, not max years. If PHI came with 2+1 with a team option on the third season at max$, the two sides would at least still be talking. If it was a player option this deal would have been done on day-1 of free agency. It's the money, not the years, that has Harden upset.

Not saying you're wrong but what are you basing that on?
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,205

Post#20 » by M2J » Mon Oct 9, 2023 10:19 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Not saying you're wrong but what are you basing that on?

He's wrong. Philly would've paid James at least this year, if not 1+1 (but not sure whose option that would be)

Return to Wiretap Discussion