Re: NBA To Focus On Expansion After Media Rights Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

NBA To Focus On Expansion After Media Rights Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:47 pm

It's a fairly open secret that the NBA is going to expand sometime in the relatively near future. NBA commissioner Adam Silver has said the league will look into expansion after they complete their new media rights deal in the next year or so.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski is adding some additional reporting that the NBA will focus on adding two teams after the media rights deal is done.

"Certainly, Las Vegas is going to be at or among the primary cities, along with Seattle," Wojnarowski said. "The league has been migrating towards Las Vegas for years."

Wojnarowski added that expansion is "not far off" and will include two cities.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,823

Post#2 » by NuckyPowell » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:25 pm

With likely adding Vegas and Seattle in the West, it's got to be Memphis and New Orleans going to the Eastern conference, right? I thought maybe Minnesota, but they're a little further West than Memphis and New Orleans.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Post#3 » by gom » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:30 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:With likely adding Vegas and Seattle in the West, it's got to be Memphis and New Orleans going to the Eastern conference, right? I thought maybe Minnesota, but they're a little further West than Memphis and New Orleans.

Only one team needs to move East to maintain equity.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,874

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:55 pm

I'd personally move Minnesota and Memphis to the Eastern Conference for New Orleans is close to
the 3 Texas teams
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#5 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm

Minnesota only

Their geography isn't farthest East but their travel in the West is the worst. Their movement would create the most savings for everyone.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#6 » by Max Power » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:46 pm

Yeah, logic for me says Memphis is the obvious team that moves to the Eastern conference since it’s already there physically anyway. I love the idea of expansion, that’s an exciting time and Vegas and Seattle are really the only viable cities for expansion outside of maybe Kansas City. Tampa is viable but Orlando being so close by eliminates them. The only other city that makes sense in the East would be Pittsburgh.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,499

Post#7 » by WargamesX » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 pm

Max Power wrote:Yeah, logic for me says Memphis is the obvious team that moves to the Eastern conference since it’s already there physically anyway. I love the idea of expansion, that’s an exciting time and Vegas and Seattle are really the only viable cities for expansion outside of maybe Kansas City. Tampa is viable but Orlando being so close by eliminates them. The only other city that makes sense in the East would be Pittsburgh.

I think its either the grizzlies like you said or the wolves. Only because the Wolves are actually pretty close to the bucks, pacers, and bulls physically. Whereas the Grizzlies are close to the pelicans, okc, and some texas teams.

Going with my gut I could see them moving the wolves because that franchise really needs a new start.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
greekman
Senior
And1: 331

Post#8 » by greekman » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:18 pm

there are 10 population centers in canada pushing 1+ million. canada now officially has more people than california. why isn't there more interest ?
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#9 » by JCruz6 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:36 pm

greekman wrote:there are 10 population centers in canada pushing 1+ million. canada now officially has more people than california. why isn't there more interest ?

1. Taxes
2. Visas
3. Government
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:40 am

The travel cost/time will be the main factor in which team switches conferences, although having two expansion teams in one conference further hinders parity.

I say if it must be done, put one expansion team in each conference. Seattle should come before Vegas, and I’m unsure which potential “Eastern Conference” city would make the cut. I’d go with St Louis or KC.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#11 » by LaRance » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:37 am

:D Time to bring Vancouver back!!!!!
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 656

Post#12 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:44 am

Louisville in the East. Its a major basketball market. Already has an NBA ready arena and it'd be the only pro team in the entire state of Kentucky...?

Seattle is the no-brainer.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#13 » by Trailbreaker » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:29 am

TheCage4 wrote:The travel cost/time will be the main factor in which team switches conferences, although having two expansion teams in one conference further hinders parity.

I say if it must be done, put one expansion team in each conference. Seattle should come before Vegas, and I’m unsure which potential “Eastern Conference” city would make the cut. I’d go with St Louis or KC.

Louisville (Kentucky Colonels revival) or Virginia Beach.
Prestige
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#14 » by Prestige » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:41 pm

TheCage4 wrote:The travel cost/time will be the main factor in which team switches conferences, although having two expansion teams in one conference further hinders parity.

You don’t need to randomly put a team in an Eastern market. That’s a bad business move. Add 2 expansion teams in whatever markets are viable, then if they are both in the same conference, just move the most eastern Western conference team to the East.
fredweis
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#15 » by fredweis » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:02 pm

There’s a prospective ownership group with ex NBA players/executives lobbying the NBA for a team in Nashville.

Vegas is in the bag. If Seattle screws the pooch then Nashville is a great location.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:45 pm

fredweis wrote:There’s a prospective ownership group with ex NBA players/executives lobbying the NBA for a team in Nashville.

Vegas is in the bag. If Seattle screws the pooch then Nashville is a great location.

Seattle is a done deal. The NBA left because the city would not invest in an arena retrofit. That Arena is now complete and the Clips and Jazz played there two nights ago.

Return to Wiretap Discussion