Klay Thompson: I Wouldn't Want To Go Anywhere Else

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Klay Thompson: I Wouldn't Want To Go Anywhere Else 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:03 pm

Klay Thompson is entering the final season of his current contract with the Golden State Warriors, which puts his basketball future into question.

“It’s not going to be a thing,” Thompson told Anthony Slater of The Athletic. “The fact that I’m going into my 13th season — that alone — it gives me such peace of mind. Granted, I’ve made money, I’ve been able to take care of my family, myself, the people I love. But when I started playing this game, I never once thought I’m playing the game because I’m going to be rich and famous. Never did.

“I played this game because my dad played. I idolized him. My favorite athletes were hoopers. Kobe (Bryant). Clyde Drexler and Rasheed Wallace, guys I was able to watch growing up. Reggie Miller. I just wanted to do something I loved for a living. It happened to be basketball. The fact I’m doing it for a 13th straight season is amazing.

“I don’t need to go into this year and … I know if I just do my job and I’m in shape and I compete at my highest level, I’m going to make money in this league for a long time. So I don’t worry about it. I’m blessed beyond measure. Obviously you want to make the most in the window you have as an athlete. But I’m not going to let that get in the way of winning a championship. When you win, everything else will be taken care of.”

Andrew Wiggins and Draymond Green recently gave the Warriors hometown discounts, which may end up being the reality for Thompson as well.

The Warriors are committed to keeping Thompson, which their trade of Jordan Poole clearly signaled. 

“Yes,” Thompson said when asked if he's committed to the Warriors. “Absolutely. I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. To play for one franchise, man? That’s so rare. In any sport. Football. Baseball. Basketball. Australian Rules Football. To play for one club is insane. It’s some real legendary stuff. Even what Udonis Haslem did. He’s revered in Miami. Locally. That’s what I cherish. Going around the country, going around the world and people from Northern California or Warriors fans in general are just so prideful about the Warriors. And I was here before banners were hung up. So in a way, it’s our baby. You want to ride it out. I’ve just been so lucky to be a part of this franchise. It’d be so hard to envision myself in another uniform.”

Via Anthony Slater/The Athletic

Big_Aristotle
Senior
And1: 255

Re: Klay Thompson: I Wouldn't Want To Go Anywhere Else 

Post#2 » by Big_Aristotle » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:02 pm

Looking how this went for Jrue, Klay will be traded tomorrow.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,751

Post#3 » by Revived » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:11 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Andrew Wiggins and Draymond Green recently gave the Warriors hometown discounts, which may end up being the reality for Thompson as well.

Wait, what discount did Draymond give the Warriors? I thought his contract extension was seen universally as a pretty big overpay considering Draymond has regressed on the court quite a bit and really only has any value left for his yelling and screaming tactics.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:37 pm

Revived wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Andrew Wiggins and Draymond Green recently gave the Warriors hometown discounts, which may end up being the reality for Thompson as well.

Wait, what discount did Draymond give the Warriors? I thought his contract extension was seen universally as a pretty big overpay considering Draymond has regressed on the court quite a bit and really only has any value left for his yelling and screaming tactics.

Both things can be true. Draymond (4x NBA Champion, DPOY, 4x All-NBA Defensive 1st, 4x All-Star) took about half of the max and locked in with GSW. It might be an overpay, but he almost certainly could have gotten more as a free agent. I personally feel it was about right. One of the indicators of a fair deal is when opinions are split on underpay vs. overpay.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Wasn't that what Jrue said the day before he was traded?
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#6 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:06 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Wasn't that what Jrue said the day before he was traded?

Yeah but Jrue got traded for Damien Lillard.

Not saying Klay could never get traded but unlike the bucks he helped the Warriors win multiple championships.

I would also add their franchise player wasn't hinting at potentially leaving like Giannis was doing.

Jrue also has played for a few teams in his career even unlike Klay who has a good chance to retire with the team who drafted him.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#7 » by GunnerWRX » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:43 am

Getting paid less than his current salary of $43.2M is not a discount. Hometown discount is getting paid less than market rate. What is Klay's fair market rate for season 2024 to 2028 (age 34-38)? Whatever amount he extends for with the Warriors, it will be fair value. I doubt any team is rushing to pay him $150M/4 (can he even sign a 4 year deal as a 34 yo FA?) next summer.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#8 » by haste10176 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:47 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Revived wrote:

Both things can be true. Draymond (4x NBA Champion, DPOY, 4x All-NBA Defensive 1st, 4x All-Star) took about half of the max and locked in with GSW. It might be an overpay, but he almost certainly could have gotten more as a free agent. I personally feel it was about right. One of the indicators of a fair deal is when opinions are split on underpay vs. overpay.

Draymond took a third of the max almost he is one of the best defenders in the league and a good playmakers its a discount.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#9 » by haste10176 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:48 am

Nice mention of AFL good old aussie rules he must of seen the GF
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Post#10 » by Jerry Maine » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:53 am

haste10176 wrote:Nice mention of AFL good old aussie rules he must of seen the GF

Epic final, shame Collingwood had to win it but still.
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:41 pm

haste10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Revived wrote:Wait, what discount did Draymond give the Warriors? I thought his contract extension was seen universally as a pretty big overpay considering Draymond has regressed on the court quite a bit and really only has any value left for his yelling and screaming tactics.

Draymond took a third of the max almost he is one of the best defenders in the league and a good playmakers its a discount.

Half of the supermax is 17.5% of the cap. One third of the supermax is 11.7% of the cap. Draymond's contract is 16.4% of the cap... so about half. :wink:

As I said, it can be both. His novelty as a small ball center is waning, as is his efficiency. Add to that his propensity to get T'd up, clash with teammates, get suspended for key games or generally lose his (mind). He turns 37 in his option year and I'd guess he'll be playing under 18 MPB by then. And chances are he gets suspended for 25 games for kicking some balls or breaking some ribs... because dude never learns and he seems to think being a clown is his role. It may look like a discount today, but my guess is that is ends in regret.

Return to Wiretap Discussion