Calvin Booth On Bruce Brown Leaving Denver: Be Careful What You Wish For

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Calvin Booth On Bruce Brown Leaving Denver: Be Careful What You Wish For 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:56 pm

The Denver Nuggets lost Bruce Brown this offseason. Most consider that a major loss for the defending champions. Nuggets general manager Calvin Booth doesn't necessarily agree.

Booth is high on second-year wing Peyton Watson taking a big step forward this season. So much so that Booth believes Watson is ready to replace Brown, albeit in different ways.

“Some of these teams were trying to get Bruce, trying to make it worth it; it’s like, just be careful what you wish for,” Booth said about the rivals that pursued Brown. “Peyton’s bigger. He’s longer. He’s more athletic. He guards better. He passes better. He doesn’t have the experience, and he’s not as good offensively yet, but we need defense more than we need offense on our team.”

Brown signed a two-year, $45 million contract with the Indiana Pacers this past summer. The Nuggets were limited in how much they could offer Brown, as they held only Non-Bird rights for the veteran wing.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,229

Re: Calvin Booth On Bruce Brown Leaving Denver: Be Careful What You Wish For 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:42 pm

While many outside of Indiana think the Pacers overpaid for Brown, they overlook the fact that the Pacers needed to add a big contract to avoid being penalized for not having the minimum required payroll. Essentially they signed Brown with house money.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#3 » by objectivefan » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:50 pm

This will probably be the biggest pay day that BB will receive, take the money BB.

How can you tell a journey man type player not to get the money while he can?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,494

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:04 pm

Brown got life changing money from the Pacers. I see nothing wrong with what he did.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 207

Post#5 » by puja21 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:50 pm

Wizop wrote:While many outside of Indiana think the Pacers overpaid for Brown, they overlook the fact that the Pacers needed to add a big contract to avoid being penalized for not having the minimum required payroll. Essentially they signed Brown with house money.

This.

In the new CBA, you have to reach the floor by the first day of the regular season. Previous CBA was by the last day of the season.

Also, "those that fail to top that threshold must pay the difference directly to the NBA and can't receive a share of the luxury-tax payments distributed to teams that finish the year below the tax line. The league will also put a salary-cap hold on their books to bring them up to the salary floor."
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:06 pm

Considering Calvin is a former player, who was a role player, you would think he'd be understanding of why Bruce did what he did.

Nonetheless Calvin comes off super salty. I'd be surprised if Peyton plays anywhere close to the level Bruce did right off the bat.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#7 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:08 pm

Wizop wrote:While many outside of Indiana think the Pacers overpaid for Brown, they overlook the fact that the Pacers needed to add a big contract to avoid being penalized for not having the minimum required payroll. Essentially they signed Brown with house money.

And it's essentially only a 1 year deal with the 2nd year being a club option. I had no idea his contract was structured like that. That's a brilliant move by Pritchard.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 402

Post#8 » by DoctaJ » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:40 pm

“Some of these teams were trying to get Bruce, trying to make it worth it; it’s like, just be careful what you wish for,”

To me it reads like he's not calling out BB at all but the teams for offering him that - like that BB is good but you're going to regret that contract sort of thing. I don't think he's upset or blaming BB for taking the deal..

But I didn't listen to so I'm not sure.

Plus, as stated below, I think it's great for Indiana even if they did 'overpay' since they needed to pay someone(s). It's only a 2 year deal for Indiana anyway.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,207

Post#9 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:49 pm

bro just said on wax that peyton watson better than bruce brown. ive never seen a team win a title and be so salty, i love it. they going for it again. never satisfied.
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,455

Post#10 » by WillyJakkz » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:01 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:bro just said on wax that peyton watson better than bruce brown. ive never seen a team win a title and be so salty, i love it. they going for it again. never satisfied.

"Said on wax" :lol: you went retro with that one. Some may not understand the vinyl reference.

Yeah the title took that clip making it seem like he was speaking down on Brown but I read it as him saying teams that think DEN not having Brown was going to hurt them actually made them even better because of Peyton.

Brown was very important but we'll see.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#11 » by donaldtrump_00 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:09 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:Considering Calvin is a former player, who was a role player, you would think he'd be understanding of why Bruce did what he did.

Nonetheless Calvin comes off super salty. I'd be surprised if Peyton plays anywhere close to the level Bruce did right off the bat.

I just watched peyton Watson play two games in a row. Hes not all that to me. Its strawther who's the hidden gem. Watson was decent to me. Not on Bruce brown level. Calvin is definitely talking crazy. Bruce was running pg,sg, sf,and pf. Wtf is he smoking. Bruce was a scoring option, a legit big body in the paint also. No watson not on that skill set. Bruce is underrated. Hes a impact player. The nets slept on him and now denver. Watch the pacers make the playoffs. Not because of bruce but there team overall is loaded.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,805

Post#12 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:34 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:Considering Calvin is a former player, who was a role player, you would think he'd be understanding of why Bruce did what he did.

I just watched peyton Watson play two games in a row. Hes not all that to me. Its strawther who's the hidden gem. Watson was decent to me. Not on Bruce brown level. Calvin is definitely talking crazy. Bruce was running pg,sg, sf,and pf. Wtf is he smoking. Bruce was a scoring option, a legit big body in the paint also. No watson not on that skill set. Bruce is underrated. Hes a impact player. The nets slept on him and now denver. Watch the pacers make the playoffs. Not because of bruce but there team overall is loaded.

To play devil's advocate, Booth is just saying this for PR. In reality he wanted to bring back Brown in order to be a stopgap until Watson was ready to take over. However due to the CBA, the Nuggets only possessed his non-bird rights and were limited to giving him the taxpayer MLE.

I'm sure the Nuggets would've paid him what the Pacers did if allowed but in the end can't blame Bruce for taking life changing money. Yes the 2nd year is a team option, but the Pacers will opt in to it because his deal can be used as part of a consolidation package to upgrade their core and get a vital piece to grow with them.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,586

Post#13 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:59 pm

This dude spittin' the last couple days lmao.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,586

Post#14 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:00 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:bro just said on wax that peyton watson better than bruce brown. ive never seen a team win a title and be so salty, i love it. they going for it again. never satisfied.

For real. It's not uncommon in all pro sports that role players who just win a title get lucrative offers. Like mentioned before in this thread, Booth was a player. Guess when you take a FO job that player empowerment stuff goes on the window.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#15 » by TMac Culloch » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:25 pm

Fully expect Braun and Cancar to take Browns backup forward minutes and nobody will take Browns spot at backup pg unless you count Reggie’s contributions as replacement (which they were not last year)
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,465

Post#16 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:05 pm

Exactly, Bruce had 45 million reasons to do it , good for him , he got his ring and money , Booth seems super salty
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,338

Post#17 » by pilkoids » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:56 pm

What a childish thing to say from such a goofy looking mfer
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 146

Post#18 » by Rashidi » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:56 am

Didn't Booth do the exact same thing in his career? Leaving his team after an unsustainable playoff breakout & agreeing to a 5-year 25M deal that everyone thought was ridiculous.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,982

Post#19 » by Cassius » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:44 am

Rashidi wrote:Didn't Booth do the exact same thing in his career? Leaving his team after an unsustainable playoff breakout & agreeing to a 5-year 25M deal that everyone thought was ridiculous.

In a roundabout way, maybe that’s his point. Rival teams love to blow their money on role players in winning situations. Be careful (GM’s) what you wish for. He finessed the league years ago and maybe Bruce just did the same thing.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 927

Post#20 » by Roy T » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:25 am

GoSixersBro wrote:This dude spittin' the last couple days lmao.

That's wussup

Return to Wiretap Discussion