NBA To Feature Fully Painted Courts For All In-Season Tournament Games

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

NBA To Feature Fully Painted Courts For All In-Season Tournament Games 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:57 pm

The NBA will have special courts for their In-Season Tournament for all 30 teams using the same template. Officials initially proposed special decals on the floor similar to the Finals, but then they decided to create designs with the floor entirely painted and no traditional hardwood showing.

Christopher Arena, the NBA's head of on-court and brand partnerships suggested: "More, more, more -- bigger and bolder."

"The biggest decision was to paint the entire court with no wood showing," Arena told ESPN. "That was the 'Wow.'"

The Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls are among the teams who have never used an alternate court.

"We just had to separate these games from all other games," Arena said. "You have to turn the channel and know right away, this is different."

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

twelvefifteen
Ballboy
And1: 14

Re: NBA To Feature Fully Painted Courts For All In-Season Tournament Games 

Post#2 » by twelvefifteen » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:07 pm

These are ugly as hell but it is a bold way to make the games feel different visually.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#3 » by tigerae » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:22 pm

"Fully painted" obviously doesn't mean fully painted, lol. The Blazers and especially the Bucks look like it's only "Partially painted."

Anyway, seems like an interesting idea to make the games stand out. Would have to actually see it on the broadcast to see if they will be distraction or not.
nycefnl
Pro Prospect
And1: 125

Post#4 » by nycefnl » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:41 pm

NBA needs a better board...These proposals just get worse and worse by the day. :banghead:
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 241

Post#5 » by tigerae » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:54 pm

nycefnl wrote:NBA needs a better board...These proposals just get worse and worse by the day. :banghead:

I will reserve judgment on the courts until I see them live. As for the tournament, I definitely like the idea. A lot of other leagues do it, with the English Premier League being the most notable. It will add a bit of excitement.

I am not a fan of the play-in tournament for the 7 and 8 spot, but I will admit I watch all the games to see who gets the spots. I don't think it's fair for the teams who initially finish 7 and 8 to have a chance of losing their spot, but it does bring in viewers and excitement.

I think the dates are a little weird for the in-season tournament. IMO they should have started it like 3 weeks later and had the Finals happen on Christmas Day. Maybe the last game of the day. That would have been my idea. That way teams have a little more time to get on-court chemistry and they can make even more hype around Christmas Day games.

Though now that I think about it, not sure that would have brought in as much viewership with Christmas Day already getting decent numbers. They probably will adjust the dates if needed in the future.

What I do hate this year so far are the horrid City jerseys. Most of them are just terrible.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 pm

I feel like the NBA “designers” only have the Paint program that comes standard on all desktop computers.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,228

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:09 pm

I used to think the in season tournament was stupid... but this turned me around; now I'm fired up!

You know what they say about painting turds or lipstick on a pigs. I wonder if Earl Scheib is somehow involved in this. :lol:
alienpick
Starter
And1: 620

Post#8 » by alienpick » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 am

lame. just like the tournament they represent.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,280

Post#9 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:06 am

Why is everyone always so negative lol

I like most of the ideas silver has brought bar the all star game ****

I’m all in for the play in tournament and this. Gotto keep more fans engaged
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.

Return to Wiretap Discussion