James Dolan Steps Down From Board Positions Amid Lawsuit Against Raptors

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

James Dolan Steps Down From Board Positions Amid Lawsuit Against Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:09 pm

James Dolan resigned his positions on the league's Board of Governors' influential advisory/finance and media committees before launching the New York Knicks' lawsuit against the Toronto Raptors, according to a memo obtained by ESPN.

"Given all that has occurred lately, I have come to the conclusion that the NBA neither needs nor wants my opinion," Dolan wrote in a July memo to Silver that he copied to the other 29 league owners.

Dolan also informed Adam Silver and his peers of his intentions to no longer attend Board of Governor meetings. Knicks general counsel Jamaal Lesane is now representing the franchise at Board of Governor Meetings.

"My hope is that the Knicks will be treated equally and fairly as all other NBA teams," Dolan said in the memo. "... As you know, I am very busy with all my duties at MSG family of companies. I need to apply my time where I can be most productive."

Dolan has become increasingly critical of the NBA and Silver over the past few years.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,761

Re: James Dolan Steps Down From Board Positions Amid Lawsuit Against Raptors 

Post#2 » by Revived » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:59 am

Knicks fans would be lucky if he stepped away from ownership.
Bash1676
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#3 » by Bash1676 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:45 pm

I don't know whyJames Dolan gets alot of hate. Most of it is media driven and their narratives can sway public opinions. If you look at it, James dolan has proven to open the books to pay for a winning team. People fail to realise that in other to win a championship,you often do need a transformational player. I know the pistons did it but Rasheed wallace, Rip Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, prince and ben wallace are not no chop liver. Only ben wallace was a hall of fame player but the rest of the team had multiple all star players for their runs.

He brought in isaiah thomas who has a terrific eye for talent. People like to dump the knicks misfortune on isaiah thomas but failed to realise that Scott Laden,the previous Gm, had capped them out and surrounded the knicks with marginal players. It was a miracle isaiah was able to savage the roster by bringing in stephon marbury, Eddy curry, Jamal Crawford and even randolph. This were great talent at various point in their career. People can look at the later years of marbury vaseline eating incident but you have to look at the talent he was when the knicks got him with a tight cap room.Curry was a great young center oozing with potential but he obviously ate himself out of the league and you can't possibly place that on the gm or the team owner if you are not motivated enough to be all you can be.

James also brought the former Gm of the pacers who was able to bring in carmelo anthony and amare Stoudemire. They made the playoffs but amare Stoudemire was damaged goods by that point.

He also brought in Phil Jackson. Alot of this media pundits praised that move until it was no longer cool to do so anymore. The knicks brought in a good management team now with a decent roster and are in possession of most, if not all of their draft picks. All they need is a transformational player to sign with them and they can use their multiple draft picks to get complementary allstar player.

The knicks are on a great path. They made the right move by not trading too much asset for Donovan mitchell. Mitchell is a great player on a fringe playoff team. He is not great enough for the knicks to give the amount of assets the Jazz demanded! If the knicks had gave in and traded the multiple players and draft picks the jazz were demanding; mitchell would've been playing with bare bone roster and it is only a matter of time before he will want out!

Dolan has proven to be willing to spend for great talent and you can't say that for most of the other owners. Infact,you can literally count the teams willing to spend on great talent in one hands. The rest of them are just glad to show up and count their money while avoiding the luxury tax penalties.
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 778

Post#4 » by mulamutti » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:09 pm

Bash1676 wrote:I don't know whyJames Dolan gets alot of hate. Most of it is media driven and their narratives can sway public opinions. If you look at it, James dolan has proven to open the books to pay for a winning team. People fail to realise that in other to win a championship,you often do need a transformational player. I know the pistons did it but Rasheed wallace, Rip Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, prince and ben wallace are not no chop liver. Only ben wallace was a hall of fame player but the rest of the team had multiple all star players for their runs.

He brought in isaiah thomas who has a terrific eye for talent. People like to dump the knicks misfortune on isaiah thomas but failed to realise that Scott Laden,the previous Gm, had capped them out and surrounded the knicks with marginal players. It was a miracle isaiah was able to savage the roster by bringing in stephon marbury, Eddy curry, Jamal Crawford and even randolph. This were great talent at various point in their career. People can look at the later years of marbury vaseline eating incident but you have to look at the talent he was when the knicks got him with a tight cap room.Curry was a great young center oozing with potential but he obviously ate himself out of the league and you can't possibly place that on the gm or the team owner if you are not motivated enough to be all you can be.

James also brought the former Gm of the pacers who was able to bring in carmelo anthony and amare Stoudemire. They made the playoffs but amare Stoudemire was damaged goods by that point.

He also brought in Phil Jackson. Alot of this media pundits praised that move until it was no longer cool to do so anymore. The knicks brought in a good management team now with a decent roster and are in possession of most, if not all of their draft picks. All they need is a transformational player to sign with them and they can use their multiple draft picks to get complementary allstar player.

The knicks are on a great path. They made the right move by not trading too much asset for Donovan mitchell. Mitchell is a great player on a fringe playoff team. He is not great enough for the knicks to give the amount of assets the Jazz demanded! If the knicks had gave in and traded the multiple players and draft picks the jazz were demanding; mitchell would've been playing with bare bone roster and it is only a matter of time before he will want out!

Dolan has proven to be willing to spend for great talent and you can't say that for most of the other owners. Infact,you can literally count the teams willing to spend on great talent in one hands. The rest of them are just glad to show up and count their money while avoiding the luxury tax penalties.

its not that he's not willing to throw money at the problem. its how poorly he has historically thrown money at the problem.
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#5 » by beefman » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:12 pm

as a non-knicks fans, i don't like this. the more involved he is with the team, the less likely they'll succeed.

Return to Wiretap Discussion