Zach LaVine Doesn't Have Trade Market Currently

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 299

Zach LaVine Doesn't Have Trade Market Currently 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 1, 2023 8:56 pm

The Chicago Bulls have found the trade market for Zach LaVine to be tepid several weeks after it became clear that both sides have interest in a separation.

"There is not a market for Zach LaVine right now in the NBA," said Adrian Wojnarowski on NBA Today. "That's not because Chicago has not tried to find it and aren't currently trying to find it.

"It's a combination of a few reasons. LaVine's contract at four more years at around a $45 million or $46 million a year average. But his productivity. I think this is a player right now who is out right now with a foot injury. He's been in and out of the lineup. I think the question for teams is how much does Zach LaVine impact winning. Especially at that salary and with a new salary cap where you're asking for yourself 'Are you trading for him to be our best player? No. Our second best player? No. If he's our third best player, do we want to pay that kind of money?'

"For the Bulls, they want to get some value in a trade. Right now, for both LaVine and the Bulls to get a trade, he needs to starts playing well. He needs to start playing well and impacting winning. That certainly is what teams are going want to see as they look at the value of trying to do a trade for him."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,247

Re: Zach LaVine Doesn't Have Trade Market Currently 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 1, 2023 10:34 pm

Which is exactly what we knew would happen the day he signed that contract.
BigHustle
Rookie
And1: 157

Post#3 » by BigHustle » Fri Dec 1, 2023 10:44 pm

He impacts winning for the opposing team.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 88

Post#4 » by elmdawgg69 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:10 pm

Sixers should be able to trade half their their trash expirings and trash second round picks like what Phoenix did to get Beal for Lavine and Derozan.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,537

Post#5 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:30 pm

He should join his sister Avril and tour the nation
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,247

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:40 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:Sixers should be able to trade half their their trash expirings and trash second round picks like what Phoenix did to get Beal for Lavine and Derozan.

I agree that Beal and LaVine have similar value and health risks, but DeRozan has real value around the league. (Much more value than LaVine.) He is an efficient scorer and distributor on a team friendly deal that is also expiring. He won't be a throw in in a trade.

That said, PHI can't get to $68m without including Tobias Harris. Harris/Morris/Batum for DeRozan/LaVine works and makes PHI considerably better on paper. Two problems: 1) I'm pretty sure LaVine and DeRozan hate playing together. 2) CHI isn't doing that for a couple of 2nds.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,620

Post#7 » by JimmyPlopper » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:46 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:He should join his sister Avril and tour the nation

:lol:
all i see is blinking lights
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#8 » by donaldtrump_00 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:59 pm

Blown out of proportion. Lavine has a market. Just right now he's hurt and teams are holding off. I'm OK with keeping him around in chi, but him or derozan needs to go. They need another defender who can at least give you 16ppg. There's enough youth in the bulls to groom. All this big 3 stuff is over with. You only need two Allstars and players who can turn into something one day.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,471

Post#9 » by Wingy » Sat Dec 2, 2023 12:33 am

Yes, because about 18 games into the season is the time when the entire league starts panicking and feels super compelled to shake things up and start lobbing out competing trade offers. :roll:

Zach’s not a superstar, his max is high cause it was just signed. He is still an all star level player, and every year as the cap spikes the contract will look more and more normal. He has value.

That said, the real issue here is the Bulls front office leadership are a bunch of bloody buffoons that are gunning for worst in the Association at their jobs.

To have your team already at this level of mess is insane. How does that happen so early in the year? Well, when it was obvious and apparent to literally EVERYONE that the pieces you put together don’t fit each other - and then you let 2 transaction cycles (last deadline, then last offseason) go by doing nothing - of course the team and players and fans are completely and utterly fed up. You get the wheels falling off not even a quarter into the season.

The players are still good, and will contribute just fine to healthy team situations.

The headline should be Arturas Karnisovas and Marc Eversley fired. Yet nope. Our out of touch, idiot ownership actually extends these nincompoops!!
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,684

Post#10 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sat Dec 2, 2023 1:17 am

If he was impacting winning then the bulls wouldn’t wanna trade him lol
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,609

Post#11 » by CobraCommander » Sat Dec 2, 2023 2:48 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:If he was impacting winning then the bulls wouldn’t wanna trade him lol

He is a net negative on the court and with all his athletic ability r#ally isn’t a showmen in the game with a huge salary. Why would anyone want that -

The wizards want him lol
MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,799

Post#12 » by MrGoat » Sat Dec 2, 2023 5:46 am

I don't buy it
haste10176
Sixth Man
And1: 149

Post#13 » by haste10176 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 9:47 am

I mean this is pretty simple Aaron Gordon is a better player on halve lavines salary..
haste10176
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by haste10176 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 9:52 am

Wingy wrote:Yes, because about 18 games into the season is the time when the entire league starts panicking and feels super compelled to shake things up and start lobbing out competing trade offers. :roll:

Zach’s not a superstar, his max is high cause it was just signed. He is still an all star level player, and every year as the cap spikes the contract will look more and more normal. He has value.

That said, the real issue here is the Bulls front office leadership are a bunch of bloody buffoons that are gunning for worst in the Association at their jobs.

To have your team already at this level of mess is insane. How does that happen so early in the year? Well, when it was obvious and apparent to literally EVERYONE that the pieces you put together don’t fit each other - and then you let 2 transaction cycles (last deadline, then last offseason) go by doing nothing - of course the team and players and fans are completely and utterly fed up. You get the wheels falling off not even a quarter into the season.

The players are still good, and will contribute just fine to healthy team situations.

The headline should be Arturas Karnisovas and Marc Eversley fired. Yet nope. Our out of touch, idiot ownership actually extends these nincompoops!!

Players better than lavine on better contracts include bridges and gordan also rather Dorian and Jayden Mcdaniels
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,736

Post#15 » by RiotPunch » Sat Dec 2, 2023 11:57 am

*checks notes* No ****.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Roy T
Rookie
And1: 976

Post#16 » by Roy T » Sat Dec 2, 2023 12:11 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:He should join his sister Avril and tour the nation

I honestly doubt they are relatives.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 88

Post#17 » by elmdawgg69 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 12:15 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:Sixers should be able to trade half their their trash expirings and trash second round picks like what Phoenix did to get Beal for Lavine and Derozan.

I agree that Beal and LaVine have similar value and health risks, but DeRozan has real value around the league. (Much more value than LaVine.) He is an efficient scorer and distributor on a team friendly deal that is also expiring. He won't be a throw in in a trade.

That said, PHI can't get to $68m without including Tobias Harris. Harris/Morris/Batum for DeRozan/LaVine works and makes PHI considerably better on paper. Two problems: 1) I'm pretty sure LaVine and DeRozan hate playing together. 2) CHI isn't doing that for a couple of 2nds.

The longer Derozan stays a Bull, the lower his value goes because he’s expiring. He’ll be a five month rental.

Sixers will be able to trade Tobias and two or three SRPs straight up for Lavine, and Marcus Morris, Furkan, Covington, and a few seconds for Derozan and Drummond. Lavine and Tobias can easily co-exist for a few months under a better coach and being third and fourth options to the MVP instead of first and second options.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wingy » Sat Dec 2, 2023 1:02 pm

haste10176 wrote:Players better than lavine on better contracts include bridges and gordan also rather Dorian and Jayden Mcdaniels

No one on earth would argue there aren’t better players than Lavine, or better value players in existence. Your point is exactly what?
haste10176
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by haste10176 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:41 pm

Wingy wrote:
haste10176 wrote:Players better than lavine on better contracts include bridges and gordan also rather Dorian and Jayden Mcdaniels

No one on earth would argue there aren’t better players than Lavine, or better value players in existence. Your point is exactly what?

Those players are on contracts halve or less than halve of Lavines value therefore Lavine contract is a net negative. The point is not that better players out there thats obvious its that there are comparable players that are better and paid half as much.. AC probably has the most trade value on the bulls.. might need to throw him in to get off lavine.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wingy » Sat Dec 2, 2023 7:45 pm

haste10176 wrote:
Those players are on contracts halve or less than halve of Lavines value therefore Lavine contract is a net negative. The point is not that better players out there thats obvious its that there are comparable players that are better and paid half as much.. AC probably has the most trade value on the bulls.. might need to throw him in to get off lavine.

I don’t care to argue about who’s better…but are any of those guys available?

It is known that Zach isn’t a value contract or even a negative contract, but as I originally noted, that perception is going to dissipate by the year and it’s going to normalize sooner than later. Jaylen Brown’s about to make $60MM.

Return to Wiretap Discussion