Suns Discussed OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam With Raptors Before Trading For Kevin Durant

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 299

Suns Discussed OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam With Raptors Before Trading For Kevin Durant 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:33 pm

During the 22-23 season, the Phoenix Suns had trade conversations with the Toronto Raptors on a deal for either OG Anunoby or Pascal Siakam. Those conversations were not considered serious and ended when they acquired Kevin Durant from the Brooklyn Nets. 

"An interesting little Phoenix tidbit that's not relevant anymore, that's not even close to relevant anymore, but it's just interesting: they were, I learned this week, they were in talks with the Raptors on either, not both, but either Siakam or Anunoby before the Durant thing became viable for them," said Zach Lowe on his podcast this week. "And they pivoted everything to the Durant thing. Which you pivot to Kevin Durant.

"Let me be clear: I don't think the talks were serious. I don't think they were going to end up with either of those guys, but it shows the optionality that they had before they went this route.

"Clearly, Toronto didn't trade those guys..."

It was reported last February that the Suns had interest in trading for Anunoby as well as Fred VanVleet. Phoenix also had interest in Kyrie Irving before the Durant trade. 

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,373

Re: Suns Discussed OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam With Raptors Before Trading For Kevin Durant 

Post#2 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:47 pm

Raps would have wanted Mikal Bridges. Suns wouldn't have given him up. End of discussion.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,458

Re: Suns Discussed OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam With Raptors Before Trading For Kevin Durant 

Post#3 » by Slim Charless » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:48 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:Raps would have wanted Mikal Bridges. Suns wouldn't have given him up. End of discussion.

I think the price that we paid for KD, would've netted us both of the Raptor guys. Not sure who would've said no to that, but for me it makes sense.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,609

Post#4 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Feb 3, 2024 2:21 am

If the talks were never serious, why is it interesting? It's not news it's not anything
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 20,264

Post#5 » by Revived » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:32 am

tecumseh18 wrote:Raps would have wanted Mikal Bridges. Suns wouldn't have given him up. End of discussion.

Why would Raptors want Mikal? Almost same age as OG, aren’t they rebuilding? Might as well keep OG in that case…
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,373

Post#6 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 5:04 am

Revived wrote:

Why would Raptors want Mikal? Almost same age as OG, aren’t they rebuilding? Might as well keep OG in that case…

OG was expiring, and seemed to want to be paid more than just a 3 and D salary. Mikal has term on a team friendly contract.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,634

Post#7 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 3, 2024 5:13 am

I mean you could just say Suns made the wrong decision.

Wouldn't that be easier?
It has been written...
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,562

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:25 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Revived wrote:

OG was expiring, and seemed to want to be paid more than just a 3 and D salary. Mikal has term on a team friendly contract.

Yeah I think the question here would be why would the Suns want to swap Mikal for OG? Doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,745

Post#9 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 5:32 pm

Must be a slow news day.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,525

Post#10 » by Stone » Sat Feb 3, 2024 9:51 pm

And............?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence

Return to Wiretap Discussion