Blazers More Likely To Keep Jerami Grant, Malcolm Brogdon

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Blazers More Likely To Keep Jerami Grant, Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:13 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers are indicating to teams that they are interested in keeping veterans Jerami Grant and Malcolm Brogdon. Both players have been rumored targets of several teams ahead of the trade deadline.

For the Trail Blazers to consider moving either player, they'd need an offer that blows them away.

Grant is in the first year of the five-year, $160 million deal he re-signed with Portland on this past summer. The Blazers have said they see Grant as a veteran leader for their young team, as well as a key player at a position where they don't have a lot of depth.

Brogdon was acquired this summer in the series of deals that saw Portland move both Damian Lillard and Jrue Holiday. The veteran guard is owed $22.5 million in each of this season and next. Portland has other young guards, but likes what Brogdon has brought that group as a veteran.

Via Jake Fischer/Yahoo Sports

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,696

Re: Blazers More Likely To Keep Jerami Grant, Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#2 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:36 pm

Is this posturing? They should trade those guys
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:57 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Is this posturing? They should trade those guys

Oh I'm sure it's just posturing. Likely the offers they've been getting for either guy has been poo.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:13 pm

Strategically this is a bad move, these guys are probably at their peak value right now and it’s a seller’s market with not much competition. Bringing back vet leaders is great but at a combined 50 million and taking 35minutes from the young guys, is not worth it, let the coaches mentor.
Toine85
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#5 » by Toine85 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:46 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:Strategically this is a bad move, these guys are probably at their peak value right now and it’s a seller’s market with not much competition. Bringing back vet leaders is great but at a combined 50 million and taking 35minutes from the young guys, is not worth it, let the coaches mentor.

It seems like they've always wanted to build around Jerami. As for Brogdon, I assume some teams were scared off due to next year's cap number. Brogdon might actually have more value next year as an expiring.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#6 » by Kent » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:55 pm

Toine85 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:Strategically this is a bad move, these guys are probably at their peak value right now and it’s a seller’s market with not much competition. Bringing back vet leaders is great but at a combined 50 million and taking 35minutes from the young guys, is not worth it, let the coaches mentor.

It seems like they've always wanted to build around Jerami. As for Brogdon, I assume some teams were scared off due to next year's cap number. Brogdon might actually have more value next year as an expiring.

I miss the days when expiring contracts held value.

I'm glad it's come back around.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,822

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:31 pm

Kent wrote:
Toine85 wrote:

Don't think it's really that, Brogdon's value is as a player not a contract. Other guy just saying that he might make too much $ next year to be super valuable to some teams who need a guy like him. Might fetch more next year when he's still the same good player but hits the cap less hard.

Also think expirings are still pretty valuable, they're not the main dish in a trade but are usually a really important side ingredient.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:10 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Kent wrote:
Toine85 wrote:

Don't think it's really that, Brogdon's value is as a player not a contract. Other guy just saying that he might make too much $ next year to be super valuable to some teams who need a guy like him. Might fetch more next year when he's still the same good player but hits the cap less hard.

Also think expirings are still pretty valuable, they're not the main dish in a trade but are usually a really important side ingredient.

Right- I think it's more accurate to say expirings are useful for trades (although that in itself obviously indicates some value in itself.) It must feel weird to be one of those 'dead contracts walking' players waiting to move to a different city just because your salary happens to be the right number to facilitate a trade. Obviously they are millionaires, but there is also professional pride involved.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#9 » by Future Coach » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:01 am

If they clearly get the better of a trade offer that includes a good future asset (like a really good pick or good young rookie), I could certainly agree. But this team still has to meet the team minimum salary requirements, & they've carved out useful vet roles for a young team, so they don't need to be in a hurry to trade them. They certainly should be traded before their contracts expire though.
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,606

Post#10 » by SweaterBae » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:34 am

Portland does_not_care_about_winning.

Portland does_not_care_about_building_for_the_future.

Sorry to sound condescending, but Judy Allen is milking everything she can get out of the franchise until she has to sell. That's it, that's all, Portland is a dead franchise walking and can't be taken seriously until new owners are in place. It's a disaster that nobody is talking about. Maintain PR, float with the rising tide, make money.

Return to Wiretap Discussion