Klay Thompson Open To Short-Term Deal With Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Klay Thompson Open To Short-Term Deal With Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:48 pm

Klay Thompson is eligible for a four-year contract worth up to $223 million, but he is open to re-signing with the Golden State Warriors on a shorter deal. A source told ESPN's Kendra Andrews that money and lineup status are not driving forces for Thompson.

Thompson could possibly sign a two-year deal this summer to align with the remaining time on the contracts of Stephen Curry and Steve Kerr.

Thompson has been candid about his on-court struggles and a source close to him says his frustrations are more about his own level of play and less about the team itself.

"He feels like he's letting everyone down," the source told ESPN. "He doesn't want to be a drain. He wants to help. He wants to feel valuable."

Thompson recently moved to the bench and responded with one of his best ames of the season. Thompson has shot 45 percent on three-pointers during his first five games as a reserve.

"The thought of him coming off the bench as our flame thrower, it's a pretty powerful weapon," Steve Kerr said.

Via Kendra Andrews/ESPN

GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Re: Klay Thompson Open To Short-Term Deal With Warriors 

Post#2 » by GunnerWRX » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:26 pm

He has 4 rings already with this dynasty, and the fact is that the Warriors are willing to pay him slightly more than market so he never wear another NBA uniform.

Some desperate contender might offer him a couple more million more for 1 season, or 2 seasons, aka JJ Reddick's 76ers deal, but hard to see Klay going elsewhere as he can be like Reggie Miller but with 4 rings w/ $266M already made. When he retires in a few years, the Warriors will have paid him $300M+. Why go elsewhere when he can finish his career with a story book ending?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:57 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:He has 4 rings already with this dynasty, and the fact is that the Warriors are willing to pay him slightly more than market so he never wear another NBA uniform.

Some desperate contender might offer him a couple more million more for 1 season, or 2 seasons, aka JJ Reddick's 76ers deal, but hard to see Klay going elsewhere as he can be like Reggie Miller but with 4 rings w/ $266M already made. When he retires in a few years, the Warriors will have paid him $300M+. Why go elsewhere when he can finish his career with a story book ending?

1) I don't know that GSW are willing to pay him more than some other teams might be.
2) I do know that Klay would be a starter on many teams in this league.
3) I don't think Klay can be anything like Reggie. Basketball is everything to Indiana and Reggie was everything to Indiana basketball for a generation. Klay was the other splash brother to a fan base that are primarily bandwagon fans. As soon as the GSW fall from relevance most of these fans will be gone.

There is nothing storybook about sticking with your team as they gradually crumble around you. I'm not suggesting he should leave; I'm saying that his legacy is secure no matter what he decides. He will deservedly go into the HOF as the other Splash Bro. His future decisions should be based on personal joy, not legacy.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#4 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:38 am

These are all problems most people would like to have. But that said...It is his life. He's given alot to basketball. He obviously loves the team, and it's gotta suck being hurt, and not being able to produce at the level you once did. Watching the dynasty you were apart of slowly crumble, as you yourself does the same, can't be easy. No matter how much $$ you got....your still watching "that ship sail away".

Klay seems like a good guy. And the Warriors were an amazing team throughout the 20-teens. As a Laker fan...it's been a bummer watching the Lakers of the early 2000's go from their high, to the lows. It's a hard thing for everyone....players to fans, to deal with. Father-Time can be cruel.

I think it's cool that he's willing to take a cut.....be it years, or annual salary, to stay with the team. He's in a lucky spot (especially these days) getting to play an entire career with one team. Doubly so not being the "franchise player".

Good luck Klay. I hope you get your contract, and can retire a Warrior. Always wanted you in purple/gold, but it seems like that was never meant to be.
fredweis
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#5 » by fredweis » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:26 pm

Klay seems to becoming to terms and accepting he's part of a special NBA dynasty and already been handsomely paid.

Kerr's ability to get the youngs in the starting lineup and shakeup the rotation (which goes an unfounded 12 men deep) gives this Dubs team a chance to win another ring. They have winning DNA and do not quit on any game. While it seems improbable the Dubs have a chance at all in a very deep and talented West, to quote Rudy T, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Return to Wiretap Discussion