Zion Williamson: If I'm an All-Star, I'll Do the Dunk Contest

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Zion Williamson: If I'm an All-Star, I'll Do the Dunk Contest 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:19 pm

New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson knows people want to see him the Dunk Contest. Williamson has a fairly straight forward approach to competing in that event at All-Star Weekend.

"If I'm in the All-Star Game, I'll do the Dunk Contest," Williamson said. "But if I'm not, I'm not doing it."

Williamson was an All-Star in both 2021 and 2023. Williamson was injured in 2023 and unable to take part in the All-Star game. In neither 2021 nor 2023 was Williamson scheduled to take part in the Dunk Contest. 

Via Clutch Points

beefymajesto
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: Zion Williamson: If I'm an All-Star, I'll Do the Dunk Contest 

Post#2 » by beefymajesto » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:50 pm

Welcome to the panderverse.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#3 » by Elnegron » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:35 pm

Zion: please I beg you, vote me in waaahhhh waaaahhh
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:34 pm

beefymajesto wrote:Welcome to the panderverse.
Elnegron wrote:Zion: please I beg you, vote me in waaahhhh waaaahhh

Yeah, that's not it at all. Zion was asked if he would participate in the dunk contest and this was his full response: (There is a link to the clip below the article.)

"I gotta do my part and make the All-Star Game. If I'm in the All-Star Game, I'll do the Dunk Contest. But if I'm not, I'm not doing it."

I will say that I don't believe Zion needs to pander to make the all-star game and I think he knows that as well. He's only averaging 30 MPG and he needs to bring that up. Per36 he's averaging 26/7/6 and shooting 58%, 39% from 3pt. If he's healthy and gets his minutes up he'll be an all-star.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#5 » by puja21 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:07 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Yeah, that's not it at all. Zion was asked if he would participate in the dunk contest and this was his full response: (There is a link to the clip below the article.)

"I gotta do my part and make the All-Star Game. If I'm in the All-Star Game, I'll do the Dunk Contest. But if I'm not, I'm not doing it."

I will say that I don't believe Zion needs to pander to make the all-star game and I think he knows that as well. He's only averaging 30 MPG and he needs to bring that up. Per36 he's averaging 26/7/6 and shooting 58%, 39% from 3pt. If he's healthy and gets his minutes up he'll be an all-star.

I have zero doubt Zion can/will make another all star game.

But his decline should still be alarming for Pels fans, given his age and health.

You mentioned 3P% -- and I'll admit he has turned around his 3P% since late December (was 28.6% then) -- but 39% is irrelevant because he's not attempting any 3s. Less than 2% of his shot attempts are threes. And this has gotten worse: Zion's 3 point attempt rate is down 53% compared with the aggregate over his first 3 years.

Bigger problem that I see is Zion has (for now at least) lost his 2nd jump entirely -- and this was probably the biggest single factor that made him athletically/historically special.

This is showing up everywhere in his numbers:

FG% is the lowest of his career -- even below his 24-game rookie campaign.

Compared to the average of his first 3 seasons:

1) Foul rate is up

2) FT rate down (15%)

As Barkley says RE: 1 and 2 -- these are the 1st indicators a player has lost physical gifts; he can't draw fouls and he fouls more.

3) Offensive rebound rate is down 26% (overall rebound rate is down 16%)

RE: #3, Zion is grabbing fewer rebounds per game at 30mpg than Brandin Podziemski is doing in just 27mpg. This is a big, strong, athletic 4-man still in his early 20s. He's behind Jrue Holiday in RPG (33 year old and 6'4"). Also behind 35 yo Kevin Love, with Love playing just 17.5mpg. These are "Brook Lopez-level" rebounding numbers (but Zion providing no rim protection and not age 35).

4) Taking 17% fewer shots at the rim (his dunk rate is also down) -- this has actually gotten worse since mid-December.

5) Because of #4, he is taking more 2pt shots away from the rim, including 50% more shots from 10-16 feet, BUT is shooting 7% worse from 10-16 on that higher volume (just 40%, down from 47%)

Biggest thing is just the eye test.

He's got plenty of time obviously, but he is currently not close to the same player -- athletically -- this year as in 2021 or even last year before the last injury.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Mar 6, 2024 8:05 pm

puja21 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

But his decline should still be alarming for Pels fans, given his age and health.

You mentioned 3P% -- and I'll admit he has turned around his 3P% since late December (was 28.6% then) -- but 39% is irrelevant because he's not attempting any 3s. Less than 2% of his shot attempts are threes. And this has gotten worse: Zion's 3 point attempt rate is down 53% compared with the aggregate over his first 3 years.

Bigger problem that I see is Zion has (for now at least) lost his 2nd jump entirely -- and this was probably the biggest single factor that made him athletically/historically special.

1) Foul rate is up

2) FT rate down (15%)

As Barkley says RE: 1 and 2 -- these are the 1st indicators a player has lost physical gifts; he can't draw fouls and he fouls more.

RE: #3, Zion is grabbing fewer rebounds per game at 30mpg than Brandin Podziemski is doing in just 27mpg. This is a big, strong, athletic 4-man still in his early 20s. He's behind Jrue Holiday in RPG (33 year old and 6'4"). Also behind 35 yo Kevin Love, with Love playing just 17.5mpg. These are "Brook Lopez-level" rebounding numbers (but Zion providing no rim protection and not age 35).

4) Taking 17% fewer shots at the rim (his dunk rate is also down) -- this has actually gotten worse since mid-December.

5) Because of #4, he is taking more 2pt shots away from the rim, including 50% more shots from 10-16 feet, BUT is shooting 7% worse from 10-16 on that higher volume (just 40%, down from 47%)

He's got plenty of time obviously, but he is currently not close to the same player -- athletically -- this year as in 2021 or even last year before the last injury.

Everything you say is true, especially the part about NOP being nervous. Their sphincters have been bound up tight for years. :lol:

Mostly due to his health, Zion has gone form being the most hyped player in a decade to being lost in small market obscurity. He was expected to be a generational talent and now he is just a very good player with a minutes restriction. Wemby took over the hype machine 18 months ago, but I think if Wemby didn't exist we would be celebrating Zion's 51 GP a little more.

That said, if NOP was in the East Zion might have mad the AS this season while only playing 30 MPG. 22/6/5 combined with team record might get him there over Trae or Scottie. The fact that Sabonis (20/13/8) didn't make it tells us that Zion will have a tougher time breaking through again in the West, but he's on the right track.

Zion is 31st in the NBA in PPG, but no one ahead of him has done it in fewer MPG or with fewer FGA's. If he stays healthy and gets those minutes up he will be an AS again, but he is unlikely to develop into the generational talent we were promised. I won't hold that against him.

The only player in the top 50 in PPG to get there in fewer MPG [url]and[/url] with fewer FGA's is Porzingis. Remember the expectation laid at his feet? It's hard to live up to those kind of expectations. He did make that one AS game and Like Zion, injuries set him back. But he's looking pretty important to BOS at the moment. Zion is only 23... he's got time to figure this thing out.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#7 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:53 pm

With his injury history, he really wants to tempt fate?

Zion enters dunk contest.
Zion simultaneously breaks ankle and hand on first attempt.
Zion out for season.

Just shut up and be glad you're finally playing something remotely close to a full season in your 4th year in the league.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#8 » by puja21 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:08 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
puja21 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Yeah, that's not it at all. Zion was asked if he would participate in the dunk contest and this was his full response: (There is a link to the clip below the article.)

1) Foul rate is up

2) FT rate down (15%)

Everything you say is true, especially the part about NOP being nervous. Their sphincters have been bound up tight for years. :lol:

Mostly due to his health, Zion has gone form being the most hyped player in a decade to being lost in small market obscurity. He was expected to be a generational talent and now he is just a very good player with a minutes restriction. Wemby took over the hype machine 18 months ago, but I think if Wemby didn't exist we would be celebrating Zion's 51 GP a little more.

That said, if NOP was in the East Zion might have mad the AS this season while only playing 30 MPG. 22/6/5 combined with team record might get him there over Trae or Scottie. The fact that Sabonis (20/13/8) didn't make it tells us that Zion will have a tougher time breaking through again in the West, but he's on the right track.

Zion is 31st in the NBA in PPG, but no one ahead of him has done it in fewer MPG or with fewer FGA's. If he stays healthy and gets those minutes up he will be an AS again, but he is unlikely to develop into the generational talent we were promised. I won't hold that against him.

The only player in the top 50 in PPG to get there in fewer MPG [url]and[/url] with fewer FGA's is Porzingis. Remember the expectation laid at his feet? It's hard to live up to those kind of expectations. He did make that one AS game and Like Zion, injuries set him back. But he's looking pretty important to BOS at the moment. Zion is only 23... he's got time to figure this thing out.

Porzingis feels like a very good comparison for Zion to shoot for

Agree both had incredible expectations, both lack durability and "elite-level passion" for basketball -- but Porzingis is a critical cog on the team w/ the best record in basketball
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:18 am

puja21 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
puja21 wrote:

1) Foul rate is up

2) FT rate down (15%)

Porzingis feels like a very good comparison for Zion to shoot for

Agree both had incredible expectations, both lack durability and "elite-level passion" for basketball -- but Porzingis is a critical cog on the team w/ the best record in basketball

Yeah, I think that is his baseline if he remains healthy. Obviously, John Wall is his baseline if he can't. His upside could be all nba, but I think generational superstar is off the table at this point.

Return to Wiretap Discussion