Monty Williams Not Expected To Be Open To Buyout With Pistons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Monty Williams Not Expected To Be Open To Buyout With Pistons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:17 pm

Monty Williams is not expected to be open to a buyout of his contract with the Detroit Pistons this offseason, sources told Jake Fischer of Yahoo! Sports.

Williams signed a six-year, $78.5 million deal with the Pistons before this season.

The Pistons, who lost a league record 28-straight games earlier this year, are currently in last place in the Eastern Conference.

Via Jake Fischer/Yahoo! Sports

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,217

Re: Monty Williams Not Expected To Be Open To Buyout With Pistons 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Apr 6, 2024 9:52 pm

Why would he be open to a buyout? Why would CHI want to pay him to go away? None of this sounds like a story with any merit. He'll be in CHI for a while, and if the put a decent roster together he'll look like a decent coach again.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#3 » by elmdawgg69 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 9:53 pm

Pistons will get another Top 3 pick. They have the cap space to sign an underrated All Star free agent to a max deal. They will just have to stay healthy to make some noise.
RM519
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by RM519 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:31 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Why would he be open to a buyout? Why would CHI want to pay him to go away? None of this sounds like a story with any merit. He'll be in CHI for a while, and if the put a decent roster together he'll look like a decent coach again.

Wrong team
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:06 am

RM519 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Why would he be open to a buyout? Why would CHI want to pay him to go away? None of this sounds like a story with any merit. He'll be in CHI for a while, and if the put a decent roster together he'll look like a decent coach again.

Wrong team

LOL, brain fart! I was talking about DET but had just posted something about LaVine so my fingers still wanted to type CHI. :lol:

My point stands. DET was going to be bad this season. They signed Monty for 6 years so that he would be with them through the rebuild. Nobody thought that this squad was going to be good already. (Or at least they shouldn't have.) Monty was paid to teach, not win... so why judge him by his win total?

People jump in here and rant about his rotations like he's trying to make the playoffs or something. No, there was no coach, alive or dead, that was taking this team to the playoffs. They are currently developing players and hunting lottery balls. They succeeded on both counts.

I wouldn't expect them to give up their top 13 protected pick next season either. They will probably go get a vet like Tobias Harris to teach them some professionalism as they power through another losing season before attempting a playoff push in 25-26. And while they lose 50+ games next season, it won't be because Monty is a bad coach. I will be because the NBA incentivizes developing teams to lose.
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#6 » by beefman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:38 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:Pistons will get another Top 3 pick. They have the cap space to sign an underrated All Star free agent to a max deal. They will just have to stay healthy to make some noise.

you're assuming it is a lock they'll sign a all star player. they'll likely have a hard time doing so. so their cap space isn't worth as much as you think. it will likely be spent on overpaying free agents if anything
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:33 pm

beefman wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:Pistons will get another Top 3 pick. They have the cap space to sign an underrated All Star free agent to a max deal. They will just have to stay healthy to make some noise.

you're assuming it is a lock they'll sign a all star player. they'll likely have a hard time doing so. so their cap space isn't worth as much as you think. it will likely be spent on overpaying free agents if anything

If you look at who will be available, it's easy to conclude that they won't be signing a difference maker this offseason. And PHI, OKC and SAS could all have cap space. DET would at best be a players 4th choice and their aren't 4 all stars worth chasing. How do you all feel about PG13, Siakam, DeRozan, Harden, etc? I don't believe they could land any of those fish, but they also shouldn't want to.

No, DET will be cashing in on that top 13 protected pick next season... and that's OK.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 744

Post#8 » by Charlesareed » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:20 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
RM519 wrote:

Wrong team

LOL, brain fart! I was talking about DET but had just posted something about LaVine so my fingers still wanted to type CHI. :lol:

My point stands. DET was going to be bad this season. They signed Monty for 6 years so that he would be with them through the rebuild. Nobody thought that this squad was going to be good already. (Or at least they shouldn't have.) Monty was paid to teach, not win... so why judge him by his win total?

People jump in here and rant about his rotations like he's trying to make the playoffs or something. No, there was no coach, alive or dead, that was taking this team to the playoffs. They are currently developing players and hunting lottery balls. They succeeded on both counts.

I wouldn't expect them to give up their top 13 protected pick next season either. They will probably go get a vet like Tobias Harris to teach them some professionalism as they power through another losing season before attempting a playoff push in 25-26. And while they lose 50+ games next season, it won't be because Monty is a bad coach. I will be because the NBA incentivizes developing teams to lose.

Monty has never had a bad coaching season like how he’s having in Detroit the team personnel is not that great they need to be better all around it’s basically Cade Thompson & Duran the rest are trash jaden ivy idk what’s up with him I thought he’d be better maybe he needs a change of scenery
Chicago Raised me
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:07 pm

Charlesareed wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
RM519 wrote:
Wrong team

Monty has never had a bad coaching season like how he’s having in Detroit the team personnel is not that great they need to be better all around it’s basically Cade Thompson & Duran the rest are trash jaden ivy idk what’s up with him I thought he’d be better maybe he needs a change of scenery

Yeah, I don't think Monty had a bad coaching season. Cade, Duran and Ivy all made strides in the right direction. Monty was hired to teach now and win later and I'm sure that was made clear to him during the hiring process. DET wanted a high lottery pick going in. Losing only became an issue when they were approaching the irrelevant milestone of the longest losing streak. I think Ivy will be fine. I think Monty had him coming off the bench to make him try and earn it. Not sure if it worked; we'll see how hard he works this summer.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#10 » by haste10176 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:37 pm

Monty looks like a poor developmental coach but no way should the pistons buy him out just ride out the contract and get high draft picks then see how it goes wayyy to early to op out of the dumb contract they signed monty too..
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#11 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:41 am

Trade him to DC, gotta add in a pick
Or Charlotte
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,904

Post#12 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:08 am

Jake Fisher speculating at the obvious to stir **** up.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#13 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:12 am

Monty and a pick to DC for top 55 protected second
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#14 » by BDM22 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:07 pm

haste10176 wrote:Monty looks like a poor developmental coach but no way should the pistons buy him out just ride out the contract and get high draft picks then see how it goes wayyy to early to op out of the dumb contract they signed monty too..

Why?

You do understand that there is no cap hit or something relating to a coach's contract, right? If he sucks at coaching (he does), firing him is a decision that financially impacts exactly one multi-billionaire and that's it. The best time to reverse a mistake was yesterday. The second best time is today.

Return to Wiretap Discussion