Marc Lore, Alex Rodriguez Reportedly Planned To Reduce Wolves' Payroll After Assuming Majority Control

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Marc Lore, Alex Rodriguez Reportedly Planned To Reduce Wolves' Payroll After Assuming Majority Control 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:41 pm

During their failed process to assume majority ownership of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez submitted financial projections forecasting a sizable retreat in roster payroll that majority owner Glen Taylor believed would jeopardize the team's ability to contend.

In documents shared with Taylor, the NBA and The Carlyle Group, a private equity firm, Lore and Rodriguez rendered a budget projection as potential majority owners that would've lowered the Timberwolves' payroll to $171 million beginning next season -- below the projected $172 million luxury tax threshold, sources told ESPN. The Timberwolves would've gone from approximately a $25 million-plus tax payment to a team receiving a tax distribution of approximately $6.5 million.

Taylor voided a contract that would have finalized the sale of the Wolves with the claim Lore and Rodriguez failed to meet deadlines.

Their payroll will place them $27 million over the luxury tax and would exceed the second apron once free agency begins in July. As owner, Taylor has paid the luxury tax in four different seasons, including most recently in 2019-20. H

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 81

Re: Marc Lore, Alex Rodriguez Reportedly Planned To Reduce Wolves' Payroll After Assuming Majority Control 

Post#2 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:03 pm

Paying the luxury tax four times already has gotten Glen Taylor nowhere. He is a terrible owner. The Wolves won’t even make it past Round 1 this season despite their bloated payroll.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,195

Re: Marc Lore, Alex Rodriguez Reportedly Planned To Reduce Wolves' Payroll After Assuming Majority Control 

Post#3 » by M2J » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:43 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:Paying the luxury tax four times already has gotten Glen Taylor nowhere. He is a terrible owner. The Wolves won’t even make it past Round 1 this season despite their bloated payroll.

It would still be detrimental for them to cheap out now that they actually have a contender
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#4 » by alienpick » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:21 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:Paying the luxury tax four times already has gotten Glen Taylor nowhere. He is a terrible owner. The Wolves won’t even make it past Round 1 this season despite their bloated payroll.

He's a good owner in the fact that he is adamant about keeping the team in Minnesota and paying for them to compete.

He probably saw the projected cheaping out on roster as a precursor to an attempt to move the team. A few bad seasons of a crap team, and then the "oh, we need to move the team in order to compete" excuses would start up.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,854

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:13 am

M2J wrote:

It would still be detrimental for them to cheap out now that they actually have a contender

The Wolves payroll is not bloated at all. IIRC they are below the Luxury tax right now. The Payroll will be over the 2nd apron of the Luxury tax next year. The Wolves will make it to finals and win them this year. Therefore being cheap would be idiotic.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,228

Post#6 » by Def Leppard » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:29 am

Made up leak

Sent from my SM-S901W using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#7 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:46 am

Def Leppard wrote:Made up leak

This definitely smells like a planted hit piece.

Who are the sources?
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 643

Post#8 » by FeatheryTouch » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 am

DoItALL9 wrote:

Who are the sources?

It may be a leak or a hitpiece, but the fundamental facts of the situation seem to be correct.

Lore and Rodriguez clearly did not have all their ducks in a row and were struggling to secure the necessary liquid capital to get the payments done even with(reportedly failed) attempts to seek out more investors.

Taylor may be a bad owner but he's not operating on a shoestring budget like Lore and Rodriguez who almost certainly wouldn't have deep enough pockets to pay luxury taxes and bankroll a contending team. Wolves fans shouldn't want a poverty franchise, in the long run the team will have a much brighter future with Taylor selling to another(properly capitalized) owner or ownership group.
Dubs23
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Dubs23 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:36 pm

Wonder if this was their proposed strategy last year when it was 1st reported Lore and Arod were seeking majority stake. That could have made sense last year, they just executed what many think is the worst trade of all time for Gobert and most didnt see them as a legit threat in the West.
But this year, that trade isnt looking so bad and they are a top 3 team and really young.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,776

Post#10 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:55 pm

I would never want talk to someone into thinking Glen Taylor is a good owner, but a new group that wants to slash the payroll as their first move of the #1 seed team because they have no money and can't afford the operational costs of running an NBA team is not going to improve the situation. It will make it worse.

You can always get worse.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:59 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:

Who are the sources?

1: Almost certainly came from Taylor. Worth noting Woj loves hit pieces and publishes them to curry favor with people.

2: It's still also almost certainly true.

3: It doesn't make Taylor a good owner, but if you are a Wolves fan, you should probably realize that ARod/Lore with no money will be even worse owners.

They had multiple years to secure funding to buy something that was already worth 2x the sale price and struggled to do it. I'm not sure how bad your finances have to be or how dumb you have to be to screw that up, but it's either really bad or really dumb. There's no way you can fail to secure financing for something that's already worth 2x its price with multiple years to do it, and not have it fall into one of those categories.

A Wolves fan probably shouldn't want Taylor, but they should want ARod/Lore even less.
@doug_thonus on twitter
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:

Who are the sources?

1: Almost certainly came from Taylor. Worth noting Woj loves hit pieces and publishes them to curry favor with people.

2: It's still also almost certainly true.

3: It doesn't make Taylor a good owner, but if you are a Wolves fan, you should probably realize that ARod/Lore with no money will be even worse owners.

They had multiple years to secure funding to buy something that was already worth 2x the sale price and struggled to do it. I'm not sure how bad your finances have to be or how dumb you have to be to screw that up, but it's either really bad or really dumb.
There's no way you can fail to secure financing for something that's already worth 2x its price with multiple years to do it, and not have it fall into one of those categories.

A Wolves fan probably shouldn't want Taylor, but they should want ARod/Lore even less.

1 I was wondering if it came from Taylor's representatives or somebody else.
2 Were documents showing this provided
3 I am a Wolves fan and I'm very concerned about A Rod and Lore's ability to run the team and keep it in Minnesota.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:00 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:

Who are the sources?

I'm not sure who the sources are, but no way does Woj run the article without solid sources.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:1 I was wondering if it came from Taylor's representatives or somebody else.
2 Were documents showing this provided
3 I am a Wolves fan and I'm very concerned about A Rod and Lore's ability to run the team and keep it in Minnesota.

Certainly no way to say for sure on #1. I doubt (and by your next post, I see that you agree) that Woj isn't just going to make this up, and on #3, you're probably in a bit of a lose / lose in this battle.
@doug_thonus on twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,814

Post#15 » by shrink » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:

Who are the sources?

I'm not sure who the sources are, but no way does Woj run the article without solid sources.

Yes, and since Woj can verify this through any of the other 29 owners, it’s hard to imagine that it isn’t true, regardless of who leaked it. Moreover, they also presented this financial plan to their lender.

Return to Wiretap Discussion