Mike Conley Not Ready To Put A Date On Retirement

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Mike Conley Not Ready To Put A Date On Retirement 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 10, 2024 1:40 pm

Minnesota Timberwolves guard Mike Conley is aware he's one of the final players from his draft class still playing in the NBA. Conley also knows the end is approaching, but he's not really thinking about that.

When asked about his future, Conley said, "Before I signed the extension, it was like, ‘Man, it could be this year, it could be next year, it could be any year.’ But then as I played this year out, I was like, ‘Man, I haven’t slowed down yet, and I just can’t imagine myself leaving when I haven’t hit that bottom yet.’ So I’m just gonna burn these tires off and not put a date on it and see what happens."

Conley is one of five players from the 2007 draft class still playing (Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Al Horford and Thaddeus Young are the others), and that's something Conley said he and the others take pride in.

"Oh, yeah. I think about that when I get out on the court every day, bro, I promise you. When I pray before the games, it’s just all gratitude. It’s just like, ‘Bro, I’m out here in front of all these people again, like I get to do this again?’ It’s not a given. I’m 36," Conley said. "Like you said, there aren’t too many of us that are still playing and trying to do it at a high level. And I take pride in that. I know all the guys. You know, I see Thaddeus Young, guys who were in my draft class, Jeff Green, you see all the guys, and you give them a head nod. ‘Keep going, bro. Don’t let them stop you.’ … It’s a sense of pride."

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

niha17
Rookie
And1: 71

Re: Mike Conley Not Ready To Put A Date On Retirement 

Post#2 » by niha17 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 pm

this season he made $24,360,000 next season hes making $9,975,962 and the year after hes making $10,774,038 I wouldnt turn down easy money like that either. This year he was their 3rd highest paid player Hes got alot of bench years in him before that realize hes not worth it anymore. He'll probally get another 50 mill after this contract is over before he walks away.
TheSundaySwami
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Mike Conley Not Ready To Put A Date On Retirement 

Post#3 » by TheSundaySwami » Sat May 11, 2024 9:31 am

There's 0 change he gets another 50 million after this contract. After this contract ends he will have played 19 years in the league and then the next season will be his age 39 season. If he plays 4 yrs at 12.5 million that would not only put his last yr at age 42, it would also mean he will have played 23 seasons which currently would be the most ALL time. Just not realistic at all to say he will "probably" do that.

Return to Wiretap Discussion