Keeping Lance Stephenson Will Be Expensive Problem For Pacers

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Keeping Lance Stephenson Will Be Expensive Problem For Pacers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 pm

There’s more than enough credit to go around for the rise of the Indiana Pacers, who went from the mediocrity treadmill to title contention in four years. Two months into the season, Paul George is in the MVP discussion and Roy Hibbert is the front-runner for Defensive Player of the Year. Just as important has been the development of Lance Stephenson, who leads their starting five in field goal percentage (48 percent) and assists (5.0).

At 6’5, 230 with a 6’10 wingspan, Stephenson is one of the most difficult covers at the shooting guard position in the NBA. In a league moving from power to speed, there are very few guards with the physical strength to bother him. He has broad shoulders, long arms and a powerful frame -- a basketball player with the body of an outside linebacker. That’s how a guard without an elite vertical can have an effective field goal percentage of 66 percent in the paint.

Coming out of college, no one questioned Stephenson’s physical ability. The concerns were about his maturity and approach to the game, which is why he fell to the 40th overall pick in 2010. In his one season at Cincinnati, he dominated the ball on average team, with meager shooting percentages of 44 percent from the field and 22 percent from three. A 19-year-old rookie with an non-guaranteed contract, there was no guarantee he would stick at the next level.

His play this season is the culmination of a four-year process. Before Stephenson even played an NBA game, he was arrested for allegedly pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. While the charges were eventually dismissed, the Pacers might have released him if it happened a few years before, when they were still operating in the shadow of the “Malice in the Palace”. By the end of his rookie season, they benched him due to maturity issues.

In his second season, Stephenson made headlines for the wrong reasons again, when he made a choking gesture at LeBron James in the final moments of a playoff game. Were it not for older people in the organization like Larry Bird taking him under their wing, he could have ended up another cautionary tale, an AAU star given too much too fast. Soon after he was drafted, Bird called Stephenson the most talented player on their roster.

On the court, an inconsistent jumper was the main thing holding him back. In his first two NBA seasons, Stephenson went 4-for-35 from beyond the arc. Since he spent so much time playing off the ball in Indiana, a broken jumper put a ceiling on his game. He made a huge jump before his third season, shooting 33 percent from three in 2.4 attempts a game. This season, he’s become a legitimate threat from deep, shooting 36 percent on 2.9 attempts a game.

As a result, Stephenson is a complete player without any holes in his game. He could always beat his man off the dribble and get to the rim; being able to punish defenders when they play off him has made him nearly indefensible 1-on-1. If teams send help, Stephenson has the passing ability and vision to find the open man. He impacts every dimension of the game -- he cleans the boards (6.6 rebounds) and defends all three perimeter positions.

Just as important, from the Pacers perspective, is his ability to fit into a role. They are built to play inside-out; their guards have to control tempo and dump the ball inside to Hibbert and David West. When the starters are in the game, there isn’t too much room for Stephenson to freelance, especially in the half-court. Maybe the most remarkable part of his transformation is how under control he plays -- he has a 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio this season.  

Because Stephenson spends so much time playing with George, Hibbert and West, his improvement is hard to see in his per-game statistics. He has a usage rating of 18.5 usage, only fifth highest on the Pacers. Every once in awhile, though, he will put together an all-around game that will make you shake your head -- 23/7/6 against the Detroit Pistons, 10/11/10 against the Boston Celtics, 13/11/12 against the Memphis Grizzlies.

Stephenson doesn’t get to showcase his game until the second unit comes in. He’s essentially the backup point guard behind George Hill, running the offense and getting the reserves involved in the game. While CJ Watson and Luis Scola have improved their bench, the biggest difference has been Stephenson’s bigger role. He plays 35 minutes a game; he’s a role-playing starter and a 6th man in one. It’s what James Harden should have been doing in Oklahoma City.

That’s not the only similarity between Stephenson and Harden. Indiana is moving towards the same crossroads Oklahoma City faced in 2012. After re-signing George and West, the Pacers already have $65 million committed for 14-15. And that’s with Danny Granger’s $14 million salary coming off the books. The Thunder traded Harden rather than pay the luxury tax. For a small-market franchise, there’s no easy answer.

This summer, Stephenson will be worth more to a franchise without established stars, one who can make him the primary option on the first team. That may sound crazy for a guy who averages only 13 points, but there’s only so much he can do taking 11 field goals a game. Harden had 10 field goal attempts a game in 2012; Eric Bledsoe was at 7.5 last season. Was either “ready” for a bigger role on a new team? Only one way to find out.

When you evaluate under-25 players, skill-set is more important than statistics. And when you look at Stephenson’s game in total, it’s scary how good he could be. Still only 23, he’s already a better shooter than Dwyane Wade, a better defender than Harden and a better passer than George. If he could dominate the ball in an uptempo system that spread the floor and let him play in space, like Bledsoe does in Phoenix, he might put up serious numbers.

Since Stephenson wasn’t a first-round pick, he will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. In comparison to a guy in his 30’s, there’s very little downside to signing a 23-year old UFA. Younger guys become more mature; older guys just get worse and more injury-prone. If I were the Pacers, I would do whatever I had to do to keep him, George and Hibbert together for the next decade. Lance Stephenson may not have been “Born Ready”, but he’s ready now.

ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Re: Keeping Lance Stephenson Will Be Expensive Problem For P 

Post#2 » by ybnd » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:33 am

Pay this dude....he can ball...he can play 3 positions...hes only gotten better
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#3 » by wizkid27 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Still only 23, he’s already a better shooter than Dwyane Wade, a better defender than Harden and a better passer than George

This seems like a really dumb statement. Pick 3 really good players, take the one thing that everyone sees as their biggest weaknesses , and then say a player is better than them... "He has a better mental attitude than Demarcus Cousins, works with coaches better than Latrell Sprewell and is taller than Charles Barkley."
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,614

Post#4 » by ishoy123 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:23 pm

wizkid27 wrote:
Still only 23, he’s already a better shooter than Dwyane Wade, a better defender than Harden and a better passer than George

This seems like a really dumb statement. Pick 3 really good players, take the one thing that everyone sees as their biggest weaknesses , and then say a player is better than them... "He has a better mental attitude than Demarcus Cousins, works with coaches better than Latrell Sprewell and is taller than Charles Barkley."
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#5 » by IMAN5 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:56 pm

The key will be unloading Granger.
instagram.com/510movement
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Arsilva » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:23 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
wizkid27 wrote:

Excellent point! He has been vastly overrated. Playing as the fifth option in a well-oiled machine, in the worst Eastern conference of all times is not the perfect situation to evaluate a player. Maybe in the playoffs against Miami he can prove his value.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:21 pm

He plays like Wade in his prime. Born Ready will be a star.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#8 » by ybnd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:05 am

He goes hard too...all out hustle....and he wants to defend the best offensive player on the floor...which you cant say about most players
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#9 » by 23artest23 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:09 am

Donnyxc wrote:He plays like Wade in his prime. Born Ready will be a star.

I've been watching NBA games since about 1995 or 1996 and really can't come up with a good comparison player for Lance. Wade and the ability he formerly had to just dribble around, into, over, under, or through any defense to get what he wanted is probably the closest I can come up with too. I agree with you and see it as well but don't find it to really be a good comparison. While I don't have 30+ years of experience following the NBA like many out yonder do, I do have 15 or so and I've never seen a player with his skill set and talents. His dribble and flair reminds me of Jason Williams (Kings days), ability to crash the boards at his size like Wade, and be a one man fast break like LeBron. Let me be clear, I'm not comparing overall games or skill set as in not judging whom Lance is better or not as good as. Rather I'm comparing certain abilities other players have that Lance seems to possess as well. With that said, I hope and pray the Pacers can lock him up and do so without a financially terrible contract. That brings into question what Lance is worth and I for one have no idea.
HoodluM-
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#10 » by HoodluM- » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Arsilva wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:
wizkid27 wrote:

Excellent point! He has been vastly overrated. Playing as the fifth option in a well-oiled machine, in the worst Eastern conference of all times is not the perfect situation to evaluate a player. Maybe in the playoffs against Miami he can prove his value.

Tjarks isn't saying he's better than the those 3 players - he's simply acknowledging his potential by comparing those three skills to established players. Clearly Stephenson isn't currently better than any of them, but he has the potential to be in their tier (context clues, bud).

He's been vastly overrated? Who the hell is overrating Lance Stephenson? If anything, Stephenson has been perpetually underrated. He already proved his value in the playoffs last year, and has even improved this year. His stats against Miami this year: 12.5 PPG - 7.5 RPG - 3.5 APG - on 52% FG (2 games). And you're dumping on him for putting up good numbers as a 5th option? Do you know how dumb that makes you sound?
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,168

Post#11 » by Biff » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:35 pm

IMAN5 wrote:The key will be unloading Granger.

Tjarks points out that even without Granger, the team salary will still be $65M. It's not as simple as just getting rid of Granger.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
NapTonius Monk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#12 » by NapTonius Monk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 am

ishoy123 wrote:
wizkid27 wrote:

He wasn't saying Stephenson is better than them. What he was saying is that he has the potential to be really, really good as a multifaceted player.
tocooks
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#13 » by tocooks » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:00 pm

IMAN5 wrote:The key will be unloading Granger.

Granger is a UFA after this year.

Doubt we can afford to pay him more then about 8mill a year, maybe we can back load his contract like Lin or asik or something, looks like he will definitely have to take a home town discount to stay though.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#14 » by jlokine » Wed Jan 1, 2014 1:23 am

As a result, Stephenson is a complete player without any holes in his game

wow. talked up like he's better than lebron and kobe.

Return to Articles Discussion