Kings Lacking Commitment To Long-Term Rebuilding Process

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Kings Lacking Commitment To Long-Term Rebuilding Process 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 pm

The Sacramento Kings had a chaotic 2013, as the franchise was on the brink of relocating to Seattle. A new ownership group, led by Indian businessman Vivek Ranadivé, successfully battled to keep the team in Sacramento. The new owners represented a much needed change from the previous owners (the Maloof family) who oversaw a Kings franchise that won less than 35 percent of their games from 2008 to 2013. The regime change included the installment of a new general manager, Pete D’Alessandro, who to this point has pursued an inconsistent strategy that may hamper the team’s development. 

D’Alessandro’s first big decision after drafting Ben McLemore was not matching the four-year, $44 million contract that the New Orleans Pelicans offered to Tyreke Evans. The decision was sensible, given how such a contract would hamper the Kings’ financial flexibility over the next few years. It seemed as if the Kings’ front office acknowledged that a team led by Evans and DeMarcus Cousins is not one that can contend for a title. Evans’ uneven development in his four seasons with the Kings led to the possibility that the Kings would be stuck with a player whose production fell far short of his long and expensive deal. The Kings were compensated for losing Evans in the sign-and-trade by acquiring Greivis Vasquez, a pass-first point guard coming off a highly successful 2012-13 season. Vasquez’s superior court vision and playmaking ability was viewed as a potential remedy to the Kings isolation-heavy offense. Perhaps more importantly, they acquired Vasquez on a one-year $2 million deal, which would have little effect on the team’s long-term plans.

While letting Evans leave seemed to indicate an emphasis on the future rather than the present, the Kings executed two free agent signings in July that were counterintuitive to building for the future. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Carl Landry are veteran players who can be valuable bench players for teams on the brink of contention, but not for teams that should be looking to develop young players. Not only were the Mbah a Moute and Landry signings pointless, but they damaged the flexibility that the Kings were seemingly trying to preserve. Landry’s four-year, $26 million deal is dumbfounding in particular, because the Kings’ roster already included solid young big men in Jason Thompson and Patrick Patterson and a veteran backup in Chuck Hayes.

The Kings' next big decision was with regards to Cousins and whether to extend him or let him enter restricted free agency. In his first three seasons with Sacramento, Cousins has exhibited an impressive scoring and rebounding ability that qualifies him amongst the league’s premier young big men. However, his talent is coupled with a maddening immaturity that has led to inappropriate clashes with coaches, media members, and opponents. Ultimately, his ability was enough to persuade the Kings to grant him with a four-year, $62 million extension. It was never really in doubt whether the Kings would keep Cousins. Even if he does not improve, the skill-set that he possesses for a player his size means that he represents a valuable asset who is sure to attract constant interest from teams around the league.

D’Alessandro may have reconsidered his offseason transactions or perhaps he simply saw an opportunity that was too good to pass up when he traded Mbah a Moute to Minnesota for the former No. 2 overall pick in Derrick Williams. Taking a flier on the talented Williams represented a low-risk, high-reward transaction, which made a great deal of sense for a team building for the future. Sacrificing Mbah a Moute was not a large cost to see if Williams’ could erase the disappointing start to his career and live up to his lofty expectations coming out of college. 

Sacramento should have two main goals for the next few seasons. The first is to develop its young players, particularly Cousins, Williams, and McLemore, and emphasize ball movement and defense, both of which have been lacking during the Cousins era in Sacramento. The second is to acquire two high lottery picks with the intent of drafting a superstar caliber young player who can help provide Sacramento with a brighter future. Trading for Rudy Gay was counterproductive to both of these goals.

By trading for Rudy Gay, the Kings’ front office lost perspective and valued short-term gains over more significant long-term improvement. The Kings' two most significant problems in the 2012-13 season were selfish play on offense and porous defense. Their assist ratio (the percentage of a team’s possessions that end in an assist) was tied for third worst in the league and they allowed the second most points per 100 possessions in 12-13. What are the two biggest criticisms of Rudy Gay? You guessed it, selfish offense and disinterested defense. Gay’s isolation-heavy offense and his need for his 20 shots per game means less shots (and perhaps less playing time) for McLemore and Williams. Further, Gay plays consistently poor defense, as evidenced by how the Kings were dramatically better defensively with Mbah a Moute than Gay. 

Unit

MINS

DEF RTG (Pts per 100 Poss)

Thomas-McLemore-Gay-Thompson-Cousins

Vasquez-McLemore-Mbah a Moute-Thompson-Cousins

Stats via 82games.com

Vasquez and Thomas are both subpar defenders, so that difference can largely be attributed to substituting Gay for Mbah a Moute.

While Gay is definitely not good enough to vault the Kings into playoff contention, he may just be good enough to worsen the Kings chances at receiving a top-5 pick in the upcoming draft. The “tanking” contest is very competitive this year, as seven supposedly rebuilding teams have 13 wins or fewer. Before acquiring Gay the Kings were 6-14 and since the trade, they are 7-8, still subpar but not bad enough to warrant a top-5 pick in next year’s draft.

Sacramento’s transactions in the summer of 2013 and during the 2013-14 season are representative of a front office that does not have a clear focus. Their lack of commitment to a long-term rebuilding process could lead to continued distress for a Sacramento franchise that has not sniffed any type of success for many years.

LakersFan82505
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Kings Lacking Commitment To Long-Term Rebuilding Process 

Post#2 » by LakersFan82505 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:53 pm

i think the Kings are one decent SG away from contending. Gay has played really well. He averages 6.5 rebounds a game, 1.4 steals and 1.1 blocks a game he is also not bad at dishing. his main downfall was his FG% which has improved greatly since the trade. i think Sacramento is doing a good job and they should go after a SG before the deadline to have a good 2nd half of the season.
sacphil_08
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by sacphil_08 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

LakersFan82505 wrote:i think the Kings are one decent SG away from contending. Gay has played really well. He averages 6.5 rebounds a game, 1.4 steals and 1.1 blocks a game he is also not bad at dishing. his main downfall was his FG% which has improved greatly since the trade. i think Sacramento is doing a good job and they should go after a SG before the deadline to have a good 2nd half of the season.

Funny that a Laker fan (at least I'm assuming because of your username) say the kings are doing things right. Maybe that will make my comment not seem like such a homer statement!

In any case, this article is not well thought out at all. While the defense has been miserable it's been a really small sample size. No way you can determine a teams production 10-15 games into acquiring a new starter. What the author failed to mention is the impact Gay has had on Cousins and Isaiah Thomas. Their numbers have increased to near all star levels while Gay is playing better than he was in Memphis. The defense will come along as I believe we will be coveting a shot blocker very soon to start alongside Cousins. People are quick to point out Cousins as a bad defender but he has vastly improved his individual defense. Jason Thompson is the one playing terrible defense although he has been better of late.

As for the Landry signing, I have to agree that I didn't know what to think when it happened given all the big men we had but now it makes sense as the bench could definitely use some scoring punch. With Landry making 6 M a season I see his contract as a movable one if necessary. The final testament to the lack of research done by the editor as beyond 2015, we have less than 5 players under contract. So we have plenty of flexibility moving forward, not to mention that Gay's contract either this summer or next will be expiring if it doesn't work out. Great article
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#4 » by The Watcher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 am

sacphil_08 wrote:
LakersFan82505 wrote:i think the Kings are one decent SG away from contending. Gay has played really well. He averages 6.5 rebounds a game, 1.4 steals and 1.1 blocks a game he is also not bad at dishing. his main downfall was his FG% which has improved greatly since the trade. i think Sacramento is doing a good job and they should go after a SG before the deadline to have a good 2nd half of the season.

Funny that a Laker fan (at least I'm assuming because of your username) say the kings are doing things right. Maybe that will make my comment not seem like such a homer statement!

In any case, this article is not well thought out at all. While the defense has been miserable it's been a really small sample size. No way you can determine a teams production 10-15 games into acquiring a new starter. What the author failed to mention is the impact Gay has had on Cousins and Isaiah Thomas. Their numbers have increased to near all star levels while Gay is playing better than he was in Memphis. The defense will come along as I believe we will be coveting a shot blocker very soon to start alongside Cousins. People are quick to point out Cousins as a bad defender but he has vastly improved his individual defense. Jason Thompson is the one playing terrible defense although he has been better of late.

As for the Landry signing, I have to agree that I didn't know what to think when it happened given all the big men we had but now it makes sense as the bench could definitely use some scoring punch. With Landry making 6 M a season I see his contract as a movable one if necessary. The final testament to the lack of research done by the editor as beyond 2015, we have less than 5 players under contract. So we have plenty of flexibility moving forward, not to mention that Gay's contract either this summer or next will be expiring if it doesn't work out. Great article

Now I recognize you, you're the butthurt Kings fan who was loathing the Raptors "tanking". They are currently 3rd in the East and have been one of the best teams in the NBA after the Gay trade.

Just admit that the trade set your franchise back: Your team is 7-8 and might be "better" now, but it made them just good enough to stay out of the top-5 in what looks like a great draft year and will likely cause them to remain irrelevant for the forseeable future. Great article, because regardless of what it "failed to mention", it made it perfectly clear that your team lacks a long term strategy and vision.

How does it feel to ride the mediocrity treadmill?

By the way, Pat Patterson had 18pts and 10 rebs off the bench yesterday. Thanks again, D'Alessandro!
sacphil_08
Ballboy

Post#5 » by sacphil_08 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 am

The Watcher wrote:
sacphil_08 wrote:

Now I recognize you, you're the butthurt Kings fan who was loathing the Raptors "tanking". They are currently 3rd in the East and have been one of the best teams in the NBA after the Gay trade.

Just admit that the trade set your franchise back: Your team is 7-8 and might be "better" now, but it made them just good enough to stay out of the top-5 in what looks like a great draft year and will likely cause them to remain irrelevant for the forseeable future. Great article, because regardless of what it "failed to mention", it made it perfectly clear that your team lacks a long term strategy and vision.

By the way, Pat Patterson had 18pts and 10 rebs off the bench yesterday. Thanks again, D'Alessandro!

Too bad we aren't in the eastern conference. Just to break it down:

Raps opponent winning percentage since trade: .438
Kings opponent winning percentage since trade: .547

We play real teams out west while you play against college level talent teams. Only 3 of the teams you played are currently in the playoff picture while 8 of the teams we played are currently in the playoff picture. Also, the players you acquired are bench players, therefore not affecting the chemistry of the starting unit, while Gay has been the starter since he got here. We are still a little ways away but trust me pal, in 2 years, the Raps will be terrible as is custom. Something like only 3 playoff appearances in your franchise history right? Good luck with that friend. You'll probably play some terrible sub .500 team in the first round, win the series and then get trounced by Miami or Indy.

There is not 'set back' because if Rudy opts out, we gain 19M in cap space and can spend accordingly, if he opts in then we have money to spend in '15 so it will work out either way. We have no money locked up after next season so the future is very open. once you 'pay' jonas valanciuanas for doing nothing in a couple seasons, your flexibiliy will be gone and you will be on the mediocrity treadmill as you are now, you just get the luxury of playing against terrible competition.
timpack13
Ballboy

Post#6 » by timpack13 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:24 am

This article does bring up some good points, but I think overall is very misguided. Kings have been trying to tank for years even having the worse record in the NBA at one point. And where has the got them? They have never had better than the 4th overall pick. Not to mention draft picks are always questionable to turn into good players and take years to develop. Cousins is a All-Star right now and will only get better. Why not pair him with another All-Star sooner rather than later instead of waiting years for a draft pick who may not turn out. Trading for Rudy was a great move, not only did the Kings give up 0 draft picks, but also got rid of some bench warmers who don't have upside. Grevis was the best asset we gave in the deal, he is not playing well for Raps right now and has been poor all season. His upside is limited as well. So far Rudy has been fantastic for the Kings. Shooting better than 50%, the change of scenery has been very good for him. Rudy will most certainly stay another year due to his contract, but if things aren't working out they will let him go after that and have 19 mil free to be able to spend.

Yes its true that trading for Rudy will make the Kings better and still most likely wont make the playoffs. Thus they will lose some draft positioning. But draft positioning hasn't done them them any justice in the past, so why rely solely on that. Plus this draft has been called one of the deepest drafts in a long time. Deep meaning there will be quality players available later in the draft.

The one real negative I will admit is that Rudy will hamper the development of McLemore. However overall this trade brings more positives than negatives in my opinion.
LovingCousins
Sophomore

Post#7 » by LovingCousins » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm

This article just regurgitates the cliche expectation that all teams should tank and run teams of young players. Mclemore will not improve simply by getting more minutes since he is not really ready for them. The same can be said about Williams who is developing well in the current system. There is positive value to player development and chemistry when the team is winning and playing winning basketball. There is negative value when a team tanks and constantly loses. It gets into the team's head and creates bad habits. That said, the Kings will still get a top ten pick or possibly get luck with the lottery.

I also don't understand how at one moment the author condemns the Kings for adding Mbah a Moute and praises them for using that acquisition to get Derrick Williams. That trade would not have been possible without the foresight of D'allesandro to acquire a valuable piece in Mbah a Moute. In addition, Mbah a Moute is directly linked to the FO's decision on Tyreke as Mbah a Moute was exchanged for a 2nd round pick from the Pelicans.

As far as Rudy Gay is concerned, the Kings exchanged 4 role players who didn't fit with the Kings, 2 of which have contract extensions coming up and one who had a bad contract(Hayes) for a good player at a position of need. The trade clarified the contract situation, shored up a position of need, and only added a contract that will be expiring next year. The Kings also added Acy who is awesome.

To me, a long term rebuilding process is necessary when you don't have a strong piece to build around yet. The Kings have that in Cousins and now need to add complimentary pieces, which they are doing. The Kings have also not mortgaged their future or future flexibility by trading away first round picks or signing players to long-term deals other than Landry, who also might be movable, and Cousins.

This article seems to be written both too late and too soon. Too late in the sense that it's criticisms are being proven wrong by Rudy Gay playing efficient basketball and the young Kings players developing well. Too soon in the sense that the trade deadline has not yet passed, the season isn't over, and we don't know really how good this draft class is.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#8 » by becorz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 pm

There are several factors that I don't think this article takes into account.

First off, the Kings have been bad for years. We have had bad team after bad team after bad team. We have been yearning for a decent team for years.

Which brings me to the arena situation. It seems likely that there will be a vote in Sacramento about public arena funding (due to a referendum). If the owners think there is going to be a vote, doesn't it behoove them to improve the team short term? Vivek likely loses the team if the public funding isn't approved. Why not create at least a little buzz for the team?

The Kings also made the Gay trade because of their cap situation. They were not likely to be able to make any splash in 2014 FA. However, it looks like they might have room in 2015. That is when Gay's contract is up. So, the team took on the Gay lottery ticket (much like when the took the Webber lotto ticket, though Webber was more talented) to see what they could get out of him. Could he be a good second banana like he was in Memphis? Was he miscast in Toronto? For the price, it was worth finding out. Even with Gay on the team, the Kings are likely in the lottery anyway, but they get an asset in the process.

Asset being a key word for this team. I think management realizes that it needs to build a team that can possibly contend for a playoff spot soon. So, they are collecting assets and cashing them in. The team used three assets (Vasquez, Patterson, Salmon's contract) and turned it into Gay and the banishment of the Hayes contract. Next year, Gay becomes an even greater asset (either as a good player or a giant expiring contract). We turned the Mbah a Moute contract into a talented Derrick Williams. They signed Carl Landry because he is an asset.

Draft picks can be an asset too...but not the type of asset this team needs in this situation.

In my opinion anyway.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#9 » by The Watcher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 pm

sacphil_08 wrote:
The Watcher wrote:
sacphil_08 wrote:

Too bad we aren't in the eastern conference. Just to break it down:

Raps opponent winning percentage since trade: .438
Kings opponent winning percentage since trade: .547

We play real teams out west while you play against college level talent teams. Only 3 of the teams you played are currently in the playoff picture while 8 of the teams we played are currently in the playoff picture. Also, the players you acquired are bench players, therefore not affecting the chemistry of the starting unit, while Gay has been the starter since he got here. We are still a little ways away but trust me pal, in 2 years, the Raps will be terrible as is custom. Something like only 3 playoff appearances in your franchise history right? Good luck with that friend. You'll probably play some terrible sub .500 team in the first round, win the series and then get trounced by Miami or Indy.

There is not 'set back' because if Rudy opts out, we gain 19M in cap space and can spend accordingly, if he opts in then we have money to spend in '15 so it will work out either way. We have no money locked up after next season so the future is very open. once you 'pay' jonas valanciuanas for doing nothing in a couple seasons, your flexibiliy will be gone and you will be on the mediocrity treadmill as you are now, you just get the luxury of playing against terrible competition.

Ha! The fact that you just said that we'd pay Jonas for "doing nothing" tells me you don't actually watch games and basically dont know S**T. He's quickly emerging as one of the best young centres in the league.

Your credibility has been reduced from zero to a negative value.
RosinBag
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#10 » by RosinBag » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 am

Stop reading after he said Mbah a Moute was a free agent signing. He actually was traded. May seem like a minor detail but I can't respect an author who gets facts wrong.
sac89837
Junior
And1: 5

Post#11 » by sac89837 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:35 am

Ah the dangers of small sample sizes. You missed a data point:

Unit MINS DEF RTG (Pts per 100 Poss)
Thomas-Thornton-Gay-Thompson-Cousins 75.3 83

Unless your suggesting Thornton is a 35 point upgrade over McLemore.

Stats via 82games.com
johnnystamos
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#12 » by johnnystamos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:10 pm

RosinBag wrote:Stop reading after he said Mbah a Moute was a free agent signing. He actually was traded. May seem like a minor detail but I can't respect an author who gets facts wrong.

Yeah, pretty absurd error to see on a basketball site that's supposed to be all about the salary cap and transactions and being a "Real GM."

I was able to bring myself to skim over the rest of the article and responses though. First off I have to say I'm loving all the criticism of the article in the comments. So many articles on this site get away with saying things that make no sense that it's nice to see one get picked apart this way.

I'll make one comment on the article itself. The guy wrote:

Sacramento should have two main goals for the next few seasons. The first is to develop its young players, particularly Cousins, Williams, and McLemore, and emphasize ball movement and defense, both of which have been lacking during the Cousins era in Sacramento. The second is to acquire two high lottery picks with the intent of drafting a superstar caliber young player who can help provide Sacramento with a brighter future. Trading for Rudy Gay was counterproductive to both of these goals.

I couldn't disagree more with final statement. It's been pretty well established over the years that having Rudy Gay on your team makes your team worse. Making the team worse would lead to bettering the quality of its lottery pick. I know the team seems to be doing well recently but even if they do happen to improve with Gay I don't think you can say that, at the time of the trade, adding Rudy Gay to a team would make a team better and worsen it's draft standing. Saying so because the team happened to get better with him is a 20/20 hindsight situation.

Return to Articles Discussion