How Anthony Davis Celebrated First All-Star Berth, Is Uncertain Of Future Dunk Contest

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

How Anthony Davis Celebrated First All-Star Berth, Is Uncertain Of Future Dunk Contest 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:32 am

Anthony Davis had commenced his film studying last Friday afternoon, immersing into the nuances of Kevin Love, when everyone from friends to peers, teammates to family started percolating inside his phone. His first All-Star selection spread within the NBA, a flourishing 20-year-old star replacing a forever legend in Kobe Bryant, but Davis felt so strange about it all.

In his mind, Davis had to refrain from allowing his mind to wander into the distance about playing in the All-Star Game, about the parties and media availabilities sure to limit his family time. New Orleans hosted the Minnesota Timberwolves, and Davis remembered his Pelicans teammates talking among each other of running with the opportunity on national television.

“I couldn’t focus on the news at all right there and then,” Davis told RealGM. “I had to get ready for a big game and get prepared for the game. After, I opened up my phone and saw a lot of congratulatory texts, so it was fun for me. But I had a game against Kevin Love, one of the best power forwards in the league.”

Love torched the Pelicans for 30 points and 14 rebounds just over a week earlier, a performance that Davis watched from the sideline because of a finger injury. Davis had gone to his Twitter that Friday afternoon, reposting some congratulatory messages his fans had sent, but promises the only way he could maintain focus was tucking away his phone.

So the film watching continued, and the tedious process of reviewing video has become increasingly vital in Davis’ preparation habits. He won the gold medal with USA Basketball in the Olympics two summers ago, nurtured into the program’s workout and film routine before his rookie season. How to handle this entire past summer was placed solely on him.

“I watched a lot of film, much more than my first year, to realize what opponents are doing and how to counter that,” Davis said. “You can see tendencies and new ways to react. Now, the next step is to keep countering, keep learning.”

With the depth of talent in the Western Conference, deserving candidates (Goran Dragic, Tim Duncan) on playoff teams, Adam Silver and the league office surveyed the choices and decided upon Davis last Friday morning. Beyond his extraordinary statistics for a second-year player – 20.5 points, 10.1 rebounds, 3.1 blocks per game – Monty Williams admits: “Anthony has carried us most of the season.” For scouts, his athleticism is scary, his two-way abilities difficult to scheme.

The Pelicans have understood the significance of placing a sturdy center next to Davis, and Alexis Ajinca gives the coaching staff intrigue as a starter, with his size and offensive instincts. New Orleans is still searching for a player in the frontcourt and has one roster spot open, and a safe option could be Lou Amundson – who played 18 games with the organization this season before his release, and is continuing dialogue with other teams.

After practice on Tuesday, Davis had engaged in the Pelicans’ own dunk contest, ultimately facing Ajinca and constructing a pass bouncing off the wall and into a windmill slam. Anthony Morrow served as the hype man, and their posting of the dunk onto social media begged the question: Could Davis enter the dunk contest in the future?

“I don’t know, man,” Davis told RealGM. “Alexis called a dunk, then I called one. Alexis brought it over his head for a dunk, and then A-Mo said, ‘You have to one-up him, champ.’ I wasn’t expecting to make that dunk off the wall, and it blew up. I don’t know. I don’t know, man.”

Davis paused for a couple seconds, considering the possibilities his entrance would require, and widened a bright smile. “If LeBron [James] gets in it, I’ll get in it. I don’t got the legs that I used to. I don’t know if I’d get in it. It’d be fun to do, but I’ve already got a lot of commitments.”

Now, Davis returns to New Orleans and his first experience of a weekend complete with responsibilities. He cites Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry and LaMarcus Aldridge as model leaders on burgeoning teams. From family he visited after the Pelicans’ win in Milwaukee Wednesday, he received encouragement and advice on how to stay fresh. His first All-Star Game comes on Sunday, and Davis is the little brother to most from his month as a teammate on Team USA.

“It’s probably loose for everybody else, but not for me,” Davis said. “Last year at the Rookie Rising Stars game, it was considered a loose situation and I got yelled at by coach. I don’t want to do anything unusual out there.

“I want to take in as much as I can, and bring it back to the team and make us better.”

malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Re: How Anthony Davis Celebrated First All-Star Berth, Is Un 

Post#2 » by malgus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 am

Dragic got robbed
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Post#3 » by nikster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 am

malgus wrote:Dragic got robbed

not a chance. Davis is putting up historical numbers, and is clearly the better player. Whens the last time somebody averaged 20, 10 & 3 blocks?
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#4 » by malgus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:05 pm

nikster wrote:

not a chance. Davis is putting up historical numbers, and is clearly the better player. Whens the last time somebody averaged 20, 10 & 3 blocks?

Wrong. How is he clearly better? Clearly better because you guess he's clearly better maybe. How's that team record doing with a better supporting cast than Dragic has?

Dragic is putting up all-nba numbers and is the #3 overall guard in the league according to stats.
Grouch86
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Grouch86 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:22 pm

malgus wrote:
nikster wrote:

Wrong. How is he clearly better? Clearly better because you guess he's clearly better maybe. How's that team record doing with a better supporting cast than Dragic has?

Dragic is putting up all-nba numbers and is the #3 overall guard in the league according to stats.

You got to be kidding Dragic better than Davis.Dragic never average those numbers throuout his career plus with Eric Bledsoe injured he picking up the slack.
nikster
RealGM

Post#6 » by nikster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 pm

malgus wrote:
nikster wrote:

Like I said, Davis is putting up historical numbers. His stats blow Dragic out of the water. Do you know how many NBA players in history averaged 20 points, 10 boards, 3 blocks and a steal in a season? just five....they're all HOFers.

Only 7 games behind and they've been decimated by Injuries. Davis himself missed almost 10 games, Holiday, Smith and Anderson (all starters) have been out for 20+ games and counting, and even Eric Gordan and Tyreke Evans have missed games to injury.
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#7 » by smeagolheart » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:26 pm

nikster wrote:
malgus wrote:
nikster wrote:not a chance. Davis is putting up historical numbers, and is clearly the better player. Whens the last time somebody averaged 20, 10 & 3 blocks?

Like I said, Davis is putting up historical numbers. His stats blow Dragic out of the water. Do you know how many NBA players in history averaged 20 points, 10 boards, 3 blocks and a steal in a season? just five....they're all HOFers.

Only 7 games behind and they've been decimated by Injuries. Davis himself missed almost 10 games, Holiday, Smith and Anderson (all starters) have been out for 20+ games and counting, and even Eric Gordan and Tyreke Evans have missed games to injury.

Want stats?

In NBA history Goran Dragic's numbers of points per game (20.3), TS% (.613) and WS/48 (.206) and assists (6.3) puts him in the company of Michael, Magic, Wilt and LeBron.

And the team has a much better record, he's doing more with less and he's less fragile than Davis. Goran Dragic is having an All-NBA caliber season.
nikster
RealGM

Post#8 » by nikster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 pm

smeagolheart wrote:
nikster wrote:
malgus wrote:

Want stats?

In NBA history Goran Dragic's numbers of points per game (20.3), TS% (.613) and WS/48 (.206) and assists (6.3) puts him in the company of Michael, Magic, Wilt and LeBron.

And the team has a much better record, he's doing more with less and he's less fragile than Davis. Goran Dragic is having an All-NBA caliber season.

I dont see how you figure hes doing more with less. The Pelicans have been starting Brian Roberts and Alexis Ajinca for a month....They've been absoultuely destoryed by injuries. Not to mentino Tyreke and Gordon are overpaid
nikster
RealGM

Post#9 » by nikster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 pm

smeagolheart wrote:
nikster wrote:
malgus wrote:

Want stats?

besides, win-shares is a stat thats biased for players on teams that are out-performing their expectations
crackrocks
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#10 » by crackrocks » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 am

nikster wrote:besides, win-shares is a stat thats biased for players on teams that are out-performing their expectations

So the win shares show how big a reason Dragic is for his team out-performing its expectations'.. I don't see what the problem is there.
nikster
RealGM

Post#11 » by nikster » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:35 pm

crackrocks wrote:
nikster wrote:besides, win-shares is a stat thats biased for players on teams that are out-performing their expectations

So the win shares show how big a reason Dragic is for his team out-performing its expectations'.. I don't see what the problem is there.

He benefited from lower expectations coming in to the season, and many of his teammates are having break-out years too.. And Davis' team is under-performing due to injuries. It is not a good measure of an individuals skill (Manu Ginobli is 11th ALL TIME in win shares...)

Return to Articles Discussion