The Atlanta Celtics Make Their Long-Awaited Return In Houston

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

The Atlanta Celtics Make Their Long-Awaited Return In Houston 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Ten years ago, if you had told Josh Smith and Dwight Howard they would wind up on the same NBA team, they probably would have figured they would win a title. They would have no reason not to. They had spent the last few summers playing together on the Atlanta Celtics, one of the greatest teams in the history of AAU basketball. Smith and Howard were about as big and athletic as they are now - they could score at will on the average high school player.

Along with Randolph Morris, another 7’0 who wound up having a cup of coffee in the NBA, the two spent most of their teenage years traveling around the country dunking at will on people. You can forget about spacing issues when you have Dwight Howard and Josh Smith running the break and hitting the offensive glass against teenagers. They won most of their games in warm-ups, when the other team would start marveling at the 6’10 and 6’9 guys doing windmills. There was never much question about what Smith and Howard would do after high school - the money was already waiting for them.

In their first decade in the NBA, Howard and Smith combined to make over $200 million and they have a lot more money coming to them in the next few seasons. The two childhood friends - Howard was the best man at Smith’s wedding - have been wildly successful, making enough money to support their families for generations to come. There are no guarantees in this world, even for teenage superstars. Morris, the other near 7’0 in the Celtics trio, played a few seasons in the NBA, but he was unable to stick in the league. Javaris Crittenton, their 6’5 PG, is on trial for murder.

In and of itself, making it 10 years in the league is a blessing, if for no other reason than the health-related luck that involves. Smith and Howard have both been very productive and very durable, rarely missing extended periods of time, which is somewhat unusual for such high-flying players. Since they came into the league at such a young age, they have been able to rack up huge individual numbers - over 26,000 combined points, 16,000 rebounds and 3,000 blocks.

They have made all the money and put up all the numbers and lived their 20’s to the absolute fullest, which only makes being paired up against at 29 all so fascinating. For guys like Howard and Smith, the only thing left to do is to win. And for all their talent, there’s a large percentage of NBA fans who don’t think they will be able to do it - they have been two of the most reviled players in the league over the last few years. There’s no duo in the NBA who can play the “No One Believed In Us” card with more justification than Dwight Howard and Josh Smith.

If everything had gone according to plan, neither would have been on the Houston Rockets. Dwight was supposed to be the next great center for the Los Angeles Lakers and one of the faces of the NBA. Smith was supposed to be a franchise cornerstone for the Detroit Pistons, leading their young front-line into the playoffs as part of a revived Bad Boys team. Instead, Smith is joining his old AAU teammate at the lowest point of his NBA career, after being cut by the Pistons in an almost unprecedented move for a guy at his age and on his salary.

The good news for Howard and Smith is they couldn’t be in a better position in Houston. With Smith in the fold, the Rockets have arguably the best starting five in the NBA. They have an elite defensive PG, an MVP candidate at SG and an elite defensive SF and all three can shoot 3’s. They have three elite 6’8+ athletes upfront who can defend their position, hit the glass, run the break and catch and finish on the move. The only real concern is whether Smith can restrain himself from hoisting 3’s in Houston’s wide-open system, something he should be able to avoid given all the extra space he will be playing in.

The Rockets, for all the concerns people had about their window closing coming into the season, are looking good. The recent acquisitions of Smith, Corey Brewer and Alexey Shved dramatically improves their depth to the point where one of the thinnest teams in the league may have to start worrying about a numbers crunch of quality players. When Terrence Jones comes back, there will be a real crunch for minutes between him, Donatas Motiejunas and Kostas Papanikalou on the second unit.

While that leaves some interesting roster management questions for the Rockets down the road, it means they should be able to overwhelm teams this season. With Howard, Smith, Jones and Motiejunas all getting minutes, all of whom are capable of playing next to each other, Houston can attack other teams for 48 minutes at a blistering pace. Howard and Smith aren’t quite the thoroughbreds they were when they were Jones’ age, but they can still be exhilarating in the open court.

Where Smith could really improve the Rockets over their younger PF’s is on the defensive side of the floor. That’s what really Houston in the first-round last season - LaMarcus Aldridge toasting Jones so bad they had to start Omer Asik at the 4. For as much talent as Jones and Motiejunas have, they are still young offensive-minded guys who struggle against the best of the best at their position, guys like Aldridge, Blake Griffin, Dirk Nowitzki and Zach Randolph. To win three playoff series in the West, the Rockets might need to go through three All-Star PF’s.

Smith is another body they can throw at guys like LMA and Blake. His perimeter defense as a SF in Detroit was miserable, but he’s still young enough and he has played in the league long enough that you expect a guy with his physical ability will be able to buckle down and play solid defense as a PF in a seven-game series. As a 29-year old whose been in the league 10 years, he is in that sweet spot where the mental and physical escalators intersect. Smith isn’t the player he was in his prime, but a big man with his size and skill should be able to drag out the decline stage of his career indefinitely.

Maybe the most interesting part of Smith and Howard teaming up is when it happened. Like so many other things in life, it comes down to timing. If they had teamed up in their early 20’s, they might have fought over minutes and touches and their general immaturity might have broken them apart. That’s what happened to Chris Webber and Juwan Howard on the Washington Bullets. Both Howard and Smith are in the Webber in Sacramento stage in their careers.

You don’t even have to go that far into the past to find a comparable duo. When Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph teamed up in Memphis, there wasn’t much excitement about what they could do together. Z-Bo was at the very end of his NBA rope, having been traded three times in the last two seasons. Gasol was an underachiever, the fat little brother who didn’t have the athleticism to be a great NBA player. There were concerns about their spacing and they were pretty much written off by most of the league. When two skilled and talented big men develop a chemistry together, that thing can roll downhill for years and they can become better than the sum of their parts.

Marc Gasol is 30 and in his 7th season in the NBA and Zach Randolph is 33 and in his 16th season in the league. Dwight and Josh are 29 and in their 11th seasons in the league. For the first time since the Lakers broke up, there’s a frontcourt in the West that is just as big and just as talented as the Grizzlies and can’t be pushed around by their bully ball style. The difference is they have James Harden on the perimeter. You may not like the way the Rockets play or the personalities of their stars or the philosophy of their GM, but they are a serious team that, barring injury, will be fighting for an NBA championship for the indefinite future.

Someone call Randolph Morris because the Atlanta Celtics ride again.

kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 727

Re: The Atlanta Celtics Make Their Long-Awaited Return In Houston 

Post#2 » by kacey ring » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:01 am

Zach Randolph has not been in the league for 16 years.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#3 » by RaptorRed » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:17 am

Really ? FIrst of all , Z-BO is arguably still in prime. His game does not rely on athleticism thus he is aging very well and his game is the same as it was when he was 29. Second, if you think Z-Bo can't bully his way around J-Smoove , you are in for a surprise. If anything you should talk about how Dwight Howard and J-Smith are both going to lose their athleticism soon.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#4 » by ptpablo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:13 pm

I just don't think Josh Smith is as good as this article does. I don't see Dwight as being a positive influence on his game either.
Freefloater
Sixth Man
And1: 892

Post#5 » by Freefloater » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:08 pm

of course Josh Smith is bad move because its rockets....even if they got lebron it would somehow be a bad move...hehehe :lol:
Fact is that momentum in games is a real thing, while not tangible itself, you can tangibly see the effect it has when teams are on runs and how it can dramatically effect the outcome of games when you can generate any momentum.
justrob7
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#6 » by justrob7 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:13 pm

kacey ring wrote:Zach Randolph has not been in the league for 16 years.

This
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#7 » by your boy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:27 pm

The Atlanta Celtics?
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#8 » by D21 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:39 am

ptpablo wrote:I just don't think Josh Smith is as good as this article does. I don't see Dwight as being a positive influence on his game either.

It will depend on the use of Smith, and his will to follow the plays.
For example, Smith was a fantastic high-post passer when playing with Horford. It doesn't depend at all on his athleticism and can't disappear like that. If we didn't see it with DET, it can only be because DET didn't use systems that makes him able to do it.
If HOU can use this play, and I'm sure Smith still has the same vision and timing, they can get one of the best PF-C weapon in the league (for this play, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they will be the best PF-C combo), because that was the case with Horford and ATL.
If HOU can use Smith rightly, they will be better than now, if they doesn't use him rightly, it's a different story.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#9 » by WashWiz54 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:05 pm

I hope this isn't your best RealGM.

It isn't good content and factually wrong.
rpn123321
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#10 » by rpn123321 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:15 pm

your boy wrote:The Atlanta Celtics?

There AAU team back in high school.
HeatRing2012
Bench Warmer
And1: 291

Post#11 » by HeatRing2012 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:14 am

WashWiz54 wrote:I hope this isn't your best RealGM.

It isn't good content and factually wrong.

thats your average Tjarks article

no substance, factual errors and lots of "if's" to cater a hot topic.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#12 » by Donnyxc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Outside of several incorrect facts, I think this is pretty true about most NBA fans:

"You may not like the way the Rockets play or the personalities of their stars or the philosophy of their GM, but they are a serious team that, barring injury, will be fighting for an NBA championship for the indefinite future."
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ptpablo
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by ptpablo » Wed Jan 7, 2015 8:39 pm

D21 wrote:
ptpablo wrote:I just don't think Josh Smith is as good as this article does. I don't see Dwight as being a positive influence on his game either.

For example, Smith was a fantastic high-post passer when playing with Horford. It doesn't depend at all on his athleticism and can't disappear like that. If we didn't see it with DET, it can only be because DET didn't use systems that makes him able to do it.
If HOU can use this play, and I'm sure Smith still has the same vision and timing, they can get one of the best PF-C weapon in the league (for this play, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they will be the best PF-C combo), because that was the case with Horford and ATL.
If HOU can use Smith rightly, they will be better than now, if they doesn't use him rightly, it's a different story.

Looks like Josh Smith is not doing that. It looks like he is jacking more shots than with the Pistons.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#14 » by D21 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 12:37 pm

ptpablo wrote:
D21 wrote:

Looks like Josh Smith is not doing that. It looks like he is jacking more shots than with the Pistons.

Last night : 16pts / 5reb / 2ast / 2blk / 2to / 6-8 2pts / 1-2 3pts / and +/- of +21 (best of the team)
The problem is to know if it his decision to play rightly or not, of he's listening but the coach doesn't use him rightly.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by ptpablo » Thu Jan 8, 2015 2:48 pm

D21 wrote:
ptpablo wrote:
D21 wrote:

Last night : 16pts / 5reb / 2ast / 2blk / 2to / 6-8 2pts / 1-2 3pts / and +/- of +21 (best of the team)
The problem is to know if it his decision to play rightly or not, of he's listening but the coach doesn't use him rightly.

I agree. it is his decision if he wants to do that.

Return to Articles Discussion