The Most Improved Players In The Country

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

The Most Improved Players In The Country 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Wed Mar 4, 2015 2:15 am

Today I want to talk about players that have improved their efficiency substantially this season. This is a little bit of an awkward thing to talk about at the start of March. After all, if you've been following college basketball this year, the fact that these players have improved is nothing new. This seems like the kind of list that should be compiled in December. The problem is that lots of players look better in December. Only after the grind of conference play do we really find out which players took their game to the next level.

In another column, I may talk about PPG changes. Yes, PPG is pace-inflated, but playing time is an important component of a player's quality. The charts below are going to overlook some players who improved by simply taking their per-minute production, and maintaining it with more playing time.

But today I want to focus on efficiency and aggressiveness.

First, I want to give a shout out to Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas and Missouri's Jonathan Williams who became much more aggressive this offseason. Ken Pomeroy has shown how players rarely change their shot-volume significantly from year to year, but sometimes that happens by necessity. With both Syracuse and Missouri losing key players, Christmas went from using 13% of Syracuse's possessions to 26% of Syracuse's possessions when on the floor. And Williams went from using 15% of Missouri's possessions to 28% of Missouri's possessions. In both cases these players eFG% and turnover rates have gotten worse because of the additional aggressiveness. Christmas's ORtg plunged from 126 to 111. And Williams ORtg fell from 106 to 91. But it would be foolish not to call these two among the most improved players in the country. Both have become the heart of their teams.

Given these caveats, perhaps calling today's column "most improved" players is a bit misleading, But the main focus of today's column is players who have had the biggest improvements in ORtg, while weighting shot-volume in the ranking.

In all the tables, I'm going to limit my discussion to the top 10 conferences according to Kenpom.com, and the MWC which I'm including for historical reasons. I'm also going to limit my analysis to players that have played at least 30% of their team's minutes this year. I.e. Duke's Marshall Plumlee may be more efficient than last year, but he isn't playing enough to get a full read on his play.

I'm going to start with the group of players that played less than 20% of their team's minutes last season. Who improved the most:

Player

Team

ORtg 2015

ORtg 2014

Pct Poss 2015

Pct Poss 2014

Kris Dunn

Providence

Josh Hawkinson

Washington St.

Jarmal Reid

Oregon St.

Damonte Dodd

Maryland

Isaiah Hicks

North Carolina

V.J. Beachem

Notre Dame

Matt Christiansen

San Francisco

Brannen Greene

Kansas

Jalil Abdul-Bassit

Oregon

Mike Crawford

Saint Louis

Now, some of these players had injury issues last year that accounted for their poor play. I'm looking at you Kris Dunn. And it is fair to say that several of these players remain bench rotation guys for their teams. I don't expect V.J Beachem to suddenly force his way into the Notre Dame starting lineup until he adds bulk and works on his rebounding over the summer.

But it is also fair to say that we wrote a lot of these guys off in the pre-season and thought they would be irrelevant. I remember when Mark Turgeon said that Damonte Dodd looked good and was going to be his starting center. I practically fell off my chair laughing. But Dodd has transformed himself into a key rotation piece for the Terrapins.

And rotation pieces matter. One reason we thought Oregon would struggle was lack of depth. They had to play all their scholarship players, and if one didn't pan out, they were doomed. Now no one is going to confuse Jalil Abdul-Bassit with Joseph Young. But by becoming a player who can knock down wide-open threes and make his free throws, Abdul-Bassit has allowed Oregon's play to stay at the highest level.

One note on Kansas' Brannen Greene. While his percentage of possession's used is down, that's largely because he has cut down on his turnovers.

One final hidden note on how I constructed the table above. I also gave weight to the strength-of-defense faced.  Kansas St.'s average opponent defense was 102.9 last year and is a remarkable 97.3 this year. Comparatively Michigan St.'s average opponent defense was 101.3 last year and 100.1 this year. The change in the way offensive fouls are called means virtually every team has played a tougher defensive schedule this year, but not everyone has had the same change in schedule strength. Essentially since the Big Ten is worse than last year, Michigan St.'s Gavin Schilling gets dinged which is why he misses my cut for most improved players. Several more players that nearly made the cut, with solid ORtg improvements include Duke's Matt Jones, Syracuse's Tyler Roberson, Marquette's Steve Taylor, and Oklahoma St.'s Michael Cobbins.

Clearly the above players are better, but given how little some of these players played last year, it is fair to ask whether last year's stats have any meaning. It might be more impressive to see which rotation players have made the biggest improvements. The next table looks at players who played 20-51% of their team's minutes last season who made big jumps:

Player

Team

ORtg 2015

ORtg 2014

Pct Poss 2015

Pct Poss 2014

Jack Gibbs

Davidson

Tim Quarterman

LSU

Jamee Crockett

DePaul

Evan Wessel

Wichita St.

Luke Kornet

Vanderbilt

Dwight Coleby

Mississippi

D.J. Fenner

Nevada

Sterling Brown

SMU

John Kopriva

George Washington

Jarquez Smith

Florida St.

Jack Gibbs was a solid player last season, and this season he has reached the next level. Davidson is glad to have him back and is counting on him during the team's run at an NCAA tournament bid.

But frankly, a lot of these players played so poorly offensively last season, they had nowhere to go but up. Wichita St.'s Evan Wessel never shot last year and yet somehow he was still inefficient. But in Saturday's big game against Northern Iowa, Wessel hit three threes in the win. I can't say enough about how important Tim Quarterman's emergence has been to LSU's season. Johnny Jones team isn't deep, but his top players are capable of matching up with almost anyone.

DePaul's Jamee Crockett had an ankle injury last year and was a better player earlier in his career, so maybe I should include him in a "bounce-back" category, not an "improved" table, but his improvement was still a key reason DePaul played better this year.

Miami's Davon Reed and Georgia's JJ Frazier deserve honorable mention, but they are shooting less than last year, so take their improved efficiency with a grain of salt. Xavier's Myles Davis is also much improved. Davis' ORtg jump isn't as big as some of those in the table, but given his added aggressiveness, it is meaningful. Washington St.'s Jordan Railey also deserves some love. He's still an offensive liability, but he's less of an offensive liability than he was last year.

Next, I look at which fringe starters (51-61% of their team's minutes last year) have made the biggest jump:

Player

Team

ORtg 2015

ORtg 2014

Pct Poss 2015

Pct Poss 2014

Josh Brown

Temple

Nate Britt

North Carolina

Justin Anderson

Virginia

Jaron Blossomgame

Clemson

Troy Williams

Indiana

Daniel Ochefu

Villanova

Dominic Pointer

St. John's

Chris Bolden

Georgia Tech

Alec Wintering

Portland

Demetrius Jackson

Notre Dame

When Jesse Morgan enrolled at Temple, I thought that might cut out Josh Brown's playing time. Instead Brown took the sophomore leap forward and became an efficient player. His emergence has given Temple a very solid core of four strong guards. North Carolina's Nate Britt's three point shooting is obviously better. And Virginia's Justin Anderson was playing like a player-of-the-year candidate until he was injured.

Jaron Blossomgame has become Clemson's most reliable scorer. That's not quite a Rakeem Christmas-level improvement in shot volume, but it is pretty darn close, and somehow Blossongame has improved his shooting while taking a lot more shots.

On a balanced Villanova team, a lot of people have written about Daniel Ochefu's emergence this year. And certainly Troy Williams and Dominic Pointer have been a key part of Indiana and St. John's resurgence.

Next I take a look at the most improved starters, players who played 61-77% of their team's minutes last year:

Player

Team

ORtg 2015

ORtg 2014

Pct Poss 2015

Pct Poss 2014

Sanjay Lumpkin

Northwestern

Nick Zeisloft

Indiana

Levi Randolph

Alabama

Derrick Colter

Duquesne

Alonzo Nelson-Ododa

Richmond

Corey Allen

South Florida

Derrick Marks

Boise St.

Demarcus Holland

Texas

Rodney Cooper

Alabama

Hassan Martin

Rhode Island

This is an odd collection of players. How is it that Alabama can be such a disappointment and have two STARTERS who became much more efficient? Well, they did lose their PG nine games ago. Anthony Grant is the best coach that never seems to catch a break or win. But at some point, you have to make your own breaks to keep a head coaching job in a major conference.

I've written before about Texas' Demarcus Holland. Last year he couldn't shoot and he was labeled a defensive stopper. This year, he can shoot but he hasn't created any steals, and he is labeled a defensive liability. Go figure.

Sanjay Lumpkin is benefiting from the fact that Northwestern's talent level is higher than last year and the sophomore leap. Nick Zeisloft is benefiting from a lot of wide open shots in Indiana's offense.

Corey Allen and Hassan Martin have taken on much bigger roles with their teams and still improved their shooting.

Michigan St.'s Denzel Valentine and Baylor's Royce O'Neale narrowly missed the cut and deserve honorable mention.

Finally, here are some players who never left the floor last year (over 77% of their team's minutes), who improved this year:

Player

Team

ORtg 2015

ORtg 2014

Pct Poss 2015

Pct Poss 2014

Kameron Woods

Butler

Kellen Dunham

Butler

Brandon Taylor

Utah

Ryan Boatright

Connecticut

Kevin Pangos

Gonzaga

Rayvonte Rice

Illinois

Kyle Collinsworth

BYU

Delon Wright

Utah

Yogi Ferrell

Indiana

Marcus Georges-Hunt

Georgia Tech

Butler and Utah are two of the most improved teams in the country, and both have a pair of key starters who are playing better than last year.  Connecticut's Ryan Boatright has taken his game to the next level, but that hasn't been enough for the Huskies. Finally, Indiana's Yogi Ferrell has been more efficient running a spread offense filled with shooters. 

Return to Articles Discussion