Grading The Deal: 76ers Trade Jahlil Okafor To Nets In Win-Win Move

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Grading The Deal: 76ers Trade Jahlil Okafor To Nets In Win-Win Move 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:44 pm

It isn’t often that an NBA trade immediately jumps out as a win-win deal, but Brooklyn and Philadelphia both seemed to have accomplished their goals in this trade. Philadelphia is further along on their path to becoming a playoff team again while the Nets are still in asset accumulation mode. Both teams tore it down to the studs as they rebuilt. The 76ers did it by bottoming out and maximizing their chances to land a franchise player in the draft. The Nets, by virtue of trading picks and pick swaps to Boston, did it a couple years later than Philadelphia and without clear shots at a franchise player in the draft.

After a couple of creative trades, Brooklyn is hoping they can rehab the value of a pair of former high picks. They already have D’Angelo Russell and have now added Jahlil Okafor. This trade saw the Nets acquire Okafor, Nik Stauskas and the Knicks 2019 second round pick via Philadelphia in exchange for Trevor Booker.

Okafor is the prime acquisition for the Nets in this deal. He has, in the span of a couple of years, fallen completely out of favor across the NBA. With Joel Embiid healthy for the first time, Okafor is out of the rotation entirely. He’s even spent long stretches away from the team entirely. And this is after the Sixers declined their team option on the fourth year of Okafor’s rookie scale contract.

Yet, despite the 76ers giving up on him, there might still be a productive player in there somewhere. As a rookie, Okafor averaged 17.5 points and seven rebounds per game in 30 minutes per game over 48 starts. He shot over 50 percent as a rookie and, in spite of some poor defense overall, he blocked 1.2 shots a game. In his second year, playing behind Embiid for part of the year, Okafor still scored 11.8 points per game on over 51 percent shooting.

The Nets will give Okafor the best chance he’s going to get to prove he’s an NBA-caliber player. Once he’s up to speed, he’ll likely split time with Jarrett Allen in the middle. Brooklyn is still outside the playoff picture, which means they can afford to give Okafor minutes and find out what exactly they have. They don’t have any clear low-post scoring options either, so Okafor should get plenty of touches and chances to score the ball.

One downside for the Nets? Brooklyn is capped out as to how much they can pay him as a free agent this summer. Because Philadelphia declined the fourth year option, the Nets can only pay him a maximum of just over $6.3 million. Now, this isn’t likely to come into play, given Okafor has a lot of value to rebuild, but it could make things harder to re-sign him if he does break out.

The Nets also picked up Nik Stauskas in the trade, making Brooklyn his third team in four years. After looking like a bust as a rookie with Sacramento, Stauskas showed signs of life as a rotation player with the 76ers. Last season was his best year, as he averaged 9.5 points per game over 80 games played. The challenge is that he still shot under 40 percent overall. For someone whose reputation was built on being a shooter, he hasn’t shown enough of that. This year, Stauskas hasn’t been a part of things for the Sixers as he’s battled an ankle injury for most of the season and simply hasn’t played when healthy because he’s behind a host of other wings.

Brooklyn basically gets a free look at Stauskas. Kenny Atkinson plays a lot of different wings and gives his players the freedom to fire at will; maybe he can finally unlock Stauskas as a shooter. If so, the Nets can make Stauskas a restricted free agent and match any offers he might get this summer.

Brooklyn also picked up a second round pick, and for a team that hasn’t had many chances in the draft during their rebuild, getting another pick is always helpful. That encapsulates Brooklyn's rebuild strategy as rebuilding without draft picks is an almost impossible task. But Sean Marks has done a nice job trading veterans for picks and for former high draft picks who need a fresh start. Russell was the first piece and now Okafor and Stauskas join him on the reclamation path.

Grade for the Nets: B

At this point, neither Okafor nor Stauskas were in Philadelphia’s plans. The 76ers are now a playoff-level team and don’t have room for projects. They’ve got Embiid up front, backed up by a veteran in Amir Johnson and a young player they love in Richaun Holmes. Stauskas was out of the rotation behind more capable wing players.

For Bryan Colangelo to turn two non-rotation players into a helpful veteran, while also not taking on any money past this year, is a win. Booker will help the Sixers up front, both as a backup behind Embiid, but also by allowing Brett Brown to spot Johnson more often. Whenever Embiid has had to miss a game, Johnson ends up taking most of those minutes, including starting on occasion. He’s also the 76ers primary backup big man. Over the past two seasons with the Boston Celtics, Brad Stevens was judicious in how he used Johnson and got a lot out of him all the way into the playoffs. At age 30, but in his 13th season with a history of nagging injuries, Philadelphia would like to keep Johnson fresh for the long haul, but needed another capable big to help cover those backup minutes.

In his eighth season, Booker is averaging a career-best 10.1 points per game. He’s also rebounding as well as he ever has. Booker essentially defines the term “rugged defender”, as he’s more than capable of banging inside, often with bigger players. He’ll be a backup 4/5 with Philadelphia, while also bringing another layer of professionalism to the locker room.

To his credit, Okafor hadn’t become a distraction for the 76ers. He made it clear he wanted to play, but otherwise kept his head down and stayed quiet. But there was always the chance that could have changed as the year moved along. That would have been the last thing a young team trying to make the playoffs needed. Now, that worry is removed entirely.

Giving up a pick isn’t something you could have expected the Sixers to do in recent years, but the roster is getting full. They remain a fairly young team, so the few roster spots available in coming years are more likely to go to veterans who fill a defined role. Because of this, the 76ers can afford to give up a second round pick without much concern.

While “The Process” was all about finding stars at the top of the draft and mining hidden gems from late draft picks and undrafted players, Philadelphia is now well past that phase. With players like Embiid, Ben Simmons and Dario Saric, they have their high picks playing well. They came up with Robert Covington and T.J. McConnell from the lightly-regarded group. With the rotation flush with talent, it was time to start adding veterans and to continue push things forward towards a playoff spot. J.J. Redick and Johnson were the first part of that this summer. Booker is another step in that direction. With tradable assets still left on the roster, Colangelo might not be done. “The Process” is complete and Philadelphia is now full steam ahead towards a playoff spot.

Grade for the 76ers: B+

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,836

Re: Grading The Deal: 76ers Trade Jahlil Okafor To Nets In Win-Win Move 

Post#2 » by Karate Diop » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:41 pm

How is this anything less than an "A" for the Nets?

Was there a better use for Trevor Booker? I don't think so.

For what they gave up the Nets got TREMENDOUS value.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#3 » by HotelVitale » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:26 pm

Karate Diop wrote:How is this anything less than an "A" for the Nets? Was there a better use for Trevor Booker? I don't think so.

Because what they got back are two of the worst players in the NBA by any statistical measure. This is one of those deals that looks exciting if you haven't watched either of these guys play NBA minutes but that's just a pretty boring, low-stakes deal if you have. If Okafor showed up on the NBA scene today, without anyone knowing what he did in HS or the NCAA, he would be a project type, a player you'd trade a 2nd rounder for on the off chance they do a 180 and turn into something useful. He's long and has that post footwork so you'd take a flyer on him, but he's been so so bad on defense and so so bad at rebounding--while also being quite bad on offense as well given efficiency--that there's no reason anyone should assume he can contribute positively anytime soon.

You're right that it's not a bad deal for the Nets since they had no other use for Booker, but it's not a steal because these two guys are really fringe prospects now and long shots to be NBA rotation players. (And they might have some difficulty keeping Okafor next year anyway, as the article says).
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#4 » by popfan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:05 pm

The Sixers org turned wine into water (where the wine is the lottery pick in Okafor). Meanwhile the Nets turned water into wine. The Sixers org continues to demonstrate managerial ineptitude (from Hinke to Colangelo) while the Nets org continues to create something from less than nothing. I'm on the hairy edge of declaring that Marks is a genius while Colangelo is predictably a dud.

The grades for each team are baffling. My grade would be A+ for the Nets and D- for the Sixers.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#5 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:50 pm

This is a disaster trade for the 76ers. You might as well have just thrown Okafor out the door. I don't even think I knew Booker existed before this trade.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#6 » by Rashidi » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:54 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:This is a disaster trade for the 76ers. You might as well have just thrown Okafor out the door. I don't even think I knew Booker existed before this trade.

I guess that means you bring an informed and nuanced take.
PHXCavaliers
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#7 » by PHXCavaliers » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:59 pm

Rashidi wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:This is a disaster trade for the 76ers. You might as well have just thrown Okafor out the door. I don't even think I knew Booker existed before this trade.

I guess that means you bring an informed and nuanced take.

GET EM!
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#8 » by chipchipperson » Sat Dec 9, 2017 5:53 pm

booker is a quality rotation player, better than any back up big on the sixers roster.
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#9 » by TheBallDoLie » Sat Dec 9, 2017 5:54 pm

Please tell us more about something you clearly know nothing about..
ball_dont_lie23
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#10 » by ball_dont_lie23 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:28 pm

Booker is a free agent after this year and Sixers gave up a 2nd rounder as well. B+ for Brooklyn, C- for Sixers
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:15 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:

Sure thing. I know basketball better than you. I know that Booker, a 30 year old rotational player, is useless for a rebuilding team. His value to the 76ers is pretty similar to you here at RealGM.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:17 pm

chipchipperson wrote:

booker is a quality rotation player, better than any back up big on the sixers roster.

What makes you think you know more than me? Quality player? Get your head on right. He is about as bottom of the barrel as it gets in NBA talent. Any worse and you aren't in the NBA.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#13 » by We Are Groot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:How is this anything less than an "A" for the Nets? Was there a better use for Trevor Booker? I don't think so.

Because what they got back are two of the worst players in the NBA by any statistical measure. This is one of those deals that looks exciting if you haven't watched either of these guys play NBA minutes but that's just a pretty boring, low-stakes deal if you have. If Okafor showed up on the NBA scene today, without anyone knowing what he did in HS or the NCAA, he would be a project type, a player you'd trade a 2nd rounder for on the off chance they do a 180 and turn into something useful. He's long and has that post footwork so you'd take a flyer on him, but he's been so so bad on defense and so so bad at rebounding--while also being quite bad on offense as well given efficiency--that there's no reason anyone should assume he can contribute positively anytime soon.

You're right that it's not a bad deal for the Nets since they had no other use for Booker, but it's not a steal because these two guys are really fringe prospects now and long shots to be NBA rotation players. (And they might have some difficulty keeping Okafor next year anyway, as the article says).
We Are Groot
Sophomore

Post#14 » by We Are Groot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 am

this take seems overly harsh. some wld argue Booker for a 2nd rounder is already good value. yes it's a "low stakes" move, but that is to be expected for a team in Brooklyn's situation. Nobody is claiming this move will shift the NBA landscape anyhow, so i'm not really sure why that's a consideration here. Setting aside your fetish for narratives and focusing on "two of the worst players in the NBA by any statistical measure." Here's a quote from the article:

" ... Yet, despite the 76ers giving up on him, there might still be a productive player in there somewhere. As a rookie, Okafor averaged 17.5 points and seven rebounds per game in 30 minutes per game over 48 starts. He shot over 50 percent as a rookie and, in spite of some poor defense overall, he blocked 1.2 shots a game. In his second year, playing behind Embiid for part of the year, Okafor still scored 11.8 points per game on over 51 percent shooting."

Now please correct me if i'm wrong, but those were statistics listed correct? and decent ones @ that. Especially of note here is "As a rookie ..." what isn't noted is the tire fire of a team the 6ers were @ the time. comparatively, so far this year Mozgov, Zeller & Allen average a combined 19.4 pts on 48.4% shooting & 12.5 rebs in 49.0 mins per game per Basketball-Reference. The math speaks for itself.

The trade for the Nets is about an available prospect and a new opportunity for Jah. i disagree with you that Jah has no upside ("... fringe prospects ... long shots to be NBA rotation players ..."). despite what you say, those numbers CAN'T be discounted by a team in Brooklyn's position. Okafor has had fewer than 3000 career mins in the NBA; not to mention the unstable situation he dealt with in Philly. He was always keeping Embiid's starting spot warm, and the team didn't want to commit 1st rnd money to a back-up center. Surely u don't think you've already peak Okafor do you?

By your evaluation, Brandon Ingram & D'Lo Russell should have been done after last year. Oladipo should've been written off after fizzling out in ORL & not impressing in OKC. The Spurs should have never re-signed Danny Green after cutting him. Twice. Miami should have never given Whiteside a look. Boston should have never put the team they had last year together. Ok, ok ... i apologize for trying to sell you MY narratives. but the point is situations matter & Jah has shown enough (obviously not a blue chip prospect) to be worth the "risk" involved in giving up Booker.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#15 » by the_process » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:
TheBallDoLie wrote:

Sure thing. I know basketball better than you. I know that Booker, a 30 year old rotational player, is useless for a rebuilding team. His value to the 76ers is pretty similar to you here at RealGM.

No, please... keep talking. It proves even more you know nothing about this. A rebuilding team did not trade for Booker. A team in the playoff hunt did. Also, news flash for you... Okafor sucks. He hasn’t played at Duke or been the 3rd overall pick in almost 4 years.
the_process
RealGM

Post#16 » by the_process » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:11 am

We Are Groot wrote:this take seems overly harsh. some wld argue Booker for a 2nd rounder is already good value. yes it's a "low stakes" move, but that is to be expected for a team in Brooklyn's situation. Nobody is claiming this move will shift the NBA landscape anyhow, so i'm not really sure why that's a consideration here. Setting aside your fetish for narratives and focusing on "two of the worst players in the NBA by any statistical measure." Here's a quote from the article:

" ... Yet, despite the 76ers giving up on him, there might still be a productive player in there somewhere. As a rookie, Okafor averaged 17.5 points and seven rebounds per game in 30 minutes per game over 48 starts. He shot over 50 percent as a rookie and, in spite of some poor defense overall, he blocked 1.2 shots a game. In his second year, playing behind Embiid for part of the year, Okafor still scored 11.8 points per game on over 51 percent shooting."

Now please correct me if i'm wrong, but those were statistics listed correct? and decent ones @ that. Especially of note here is "As a rookie ..." what isn't noted is the tire fire of a team the 6ers were @ the time. comparatively, so far this year Mozgov, Zeller & Allen average a combined 19.4 pts on 48.4% shooting & 12.5 rebs in 49.0 mins per game per Basketball-Reference. The math speaks for itself.

The trade for the Nets is about an available prospect and a new opportunity for Jah. i disagree with you that Jah has no upside ("... fringe prospects ... long shots to be NBA rotation players ..."). despite what you say, those numbers CAN'T be discounted by a team in Brooklyn's position. Okafor has had fewer than 3000 career mins in the NBA; not to mention the unstable situation he dealt with in Philly. He was always keeping Embiid's starting spot warm, and the team didn't want to commit 1st rnd money to a back-up center. Surely u don't think you've already peak Okafor do you?

By your evaluation, Brandon Ingram & D'Lo Russell should have been done after last year. Oladipo should've been written off after fizzling out in ORL & not impressing in OKC. The Spurs should have never re-signed Danny Green after cutting him. Twice. Miami should have never given Whiteside a look. Boston should have never put the team they had last year together. Ok, ok ... i apologize for trying to sell you MY narratives. but the point is situations matter & Jah has shown enough (obviously not a blue chip prospect) to be worth the "risk" involved in giving up Booker.

Taking a shot on Jah is worth the risk for a team in Brooklyn’s spot. But that’s all it is. Taking a shot. Because nothing Jah has done says that he will be in league very much longer. His problem is BBIQ.
the_process
RealGM

Post#17 » by the_process » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:47 am

popfan wrote:The Sixers org turned wine into water (where the wine is the lottery pick in Okafor). Meanwhile the Nets turned water into wine. The Sixers org continues to demonstrate managerial ineptitude (from Hinke to Colangelo) while the Nets org continues to create something from less than nothing. I'm on the hairy edge of declaring that Marks is a genius while Colangelo is predictably a dud.

The grades for each team are baffling. My grade would be A+ for the Nets and D- for the Sixers.

BC being mediocre at best, and Hinkie fouling up and picking Okafor 3rd, don’t really factor into the grade for this deal. It’s basically a 2nd for Booker, with Okafor and Stauskas as filler for salary matching.

For the Sixers, they needed another backup big to limit Amir’s minutes; and additionally it removes a headache from their organization. Okafor and Stauskas were out of the rotation, and as such, are not much of a loss. Grade A-

For the Nets, while Okafor and Stauskas have both been unequivocally bad in the NBA; both are still young, and still have some shot to turn into productive NBA players. Losing Booker doesn’t really matter for them, as they are bad either way, and the Knicks 2nd they picked up could turn into a contributor as well. Grade A
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#18 » by chipchipperson » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:48 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:
chipchipperson wrote:

What makes you think you know more than me? Quality player? Get your head on right. He is about as bottom of the barrel as it gets in NBA talent. Any worse and you aren't in the NBA.

i didnt claim to know more than you about anything, I simply disagreed with your "hot take", but you seem insistent on pushing the narrative that anyone commenting on this article that disagrees with you must be a clueless idiot.
Trevor booker's been a solid rotation player in this league for nearly 10 years, sports a positive per, has averaged 10/7 over the past three seasons(17/11 per 36), brings veteran leadership to whatever team he plays for and does all the dirty work that todays crop of nba players have no interest in. For you to say he's barely hanging on to his job as an nba player is a clear indicator of your ignorance. He'll provide the sixers infinitely more value than okafor and saric did buried on the bench, and he is a better option than any back-up big on the sixers roster by any objective measure.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm

We Are Groot wrote: Now please correct me if i'm wrong, but those were statistics listed correct?...By your evaluation, Brandon Ingram & D'Lo Russell should have been done after last year. Oladipo should've been written off after fizzling out in ORL & not impressing in OKC. The Spurs should have never re-signed Danny Green after cutting him...

Look, I'm not trying to win an argument or attack Okafor. I'm just trying to explain to you why this trade makes sense and isn't a steal for anyone. Two quick points to explain why your last post skewed the situation:
A) Okafor was way way statistically worse than any of the players you're talking about in his first couple of years; last year he had a -5.69 RPM, and that was even with his defensive number being way overrated. The next worse center was at -3.33, close to twice as high as Okafor. The year before Okafor was also at the bottom of the league, and also massively behind the second-to-worst player. CHeck out any other advanced stat and it'll tell you the same thing. I'm really not trying to trash Okafor--I dont get off on trashing players or anything--the #s just tell us that he has been a total disaster as a NBA player, and that's why he was given away for nothing.
B) The players you listed struggled a little bit but didn't show Okafor's persistent limitations, and there were reasons to believe they'd at least be solid players. (Also a lot of those examples are weird: Russell was perfectly fine for a 20 year-old last year, Oladipo was solid for a rookie, etc, and all the guys you mentioned were on track to be rotation guys or better by their 3rd year). Okafor's not just missing some rotations or taking some bad shots--he looks physically slow with incredibly slow reflexes, and mentally lost. If he develops reasonably well, starts taking better shots, executing his own strengths well, etc, you're still looking at a terrible defender, a terrible rebounder, a ball stopper, etc. Again, I'm not saying there's no chance he'll ever be decent--he's too young to make those judgments--it's just that he looks like a longshot now, like many project 2nd rounders are.

My simple point is that the Sixers aren't foolish and they're aware of the obvious fact that players take time to develop. They're trading Okafor for nothing because they don't believe they've watched him every day for three years and don't see how he's going to develop into a useful player in time for him to help the team at all. Think about it this way: a player like Russell was traded for a) one of the worst contracts in the league, b) a 1st rounder, and c) a pretty solid vet who also has an expiring contract (Lopez); the Sixers had to attach a 2nd round pick just to move Okafor, even though he's got good scoring #s and even though they shopped him everywhere for months.
We Are Groot
Sophomore

Post#20 » by We Are Groot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 am

HotelVitale wrote:
We Are Groot wrote: Now please correct me if i'm wrong, but those were statistics listed correct?...By your evaluation, Brandon Ingram & D'Lo Russell should have been done after last year. Oladipo should've been written off after fizzling out in ORL & not impressing in OKC. The Spurs should have never re-signed Danny Green after cutting him...

Look, I'm not trying to win an argument or attack Okafor. I'm just trying to explain to you why this trade makes sense and isn't a steal for anyone. Two quick points to explain why your last post skewed the situation:
A) Okafor was way way statistically worse than any of the players you're talking about in his first couple of years; last year he had a -5.69 RPM, and that was even with his defensive number being way overrated. The next worse center was at -3.33, close to twice as high as Okafor. The year before Okafor was also at the bottom of the league, and also massively behind the second-to-worst player. CHeck out any other advanced stat and it'll tell you the same thing. I'm really not trying to trash Okafor--I dont get off on trashing players or anything--the #s just tell us that he has been a total disaster as a NBA player, and that's why he was given away for nothing.
B) The players you listed struggled a little bit but didn't show Okafor's persistent limitations, and there were reasons to believe they'd at least be solid players. (Also a lot of those examples are weird: Russell was perfectly fine for a 20 year-old last year, Oladipo was solid for a rookie, etc, and all the guys you mentioned were on track to be rotation guys or better by their 3rd year). Okafor's not just missing some rotations or taking some bad shots--he looks physically slow with incredibly slow reflexes, and mentally lost. If he develops reasonably well, starts taking better shots, executing his own strengths well, etc, you're still looking at a terrible defender, a terrible rebounder, a ball stopper, etc. Again, I'm not saying there's no chance he'll ever be decent--he's too young to make those judgments--it's just that he looks like a longshot now, like many project 2nd rounders are.

My simple point is that the Sixers aren't foolish and they're aware of the obvious fact that players take time to develop. They're trading Okafor for nothing because they don't believe they've watched him every day for three years and don't see how he's going to develop into a useful player in time for him to help the team at all. Think about it this way: a player like Russell was traded for a) one of the worst contracts in the league, b) a 1st rounder, and c) a pretty solid vet who also has an expiring contract (Lopez); the Sixers had to attach a 2nd round pick just to move Okafor, even though he's got good scoring #s and even though they shopped him everywhere for months.

in your first post & your lasts, i was only disagreeing with you in terms of degree. the limitations you point out are 100% valid, but i'm throwing out the small sample size argument. there was no foundation, and consequently no development by the 6ers in terms of team's style of play. there's no way players are ever going to grow in that situation. see Byron Scott's year in LA. in short, while you claim there's almost no chance Okafor every becomes even a rotation piece for a team, as i said, i jus feel that's a bit harsh.

additionally, in terms of value, it's tough to get more value than zero risk. i agree w/you that there's not a whole lot of upside with either player but since Brooklyn gave up nothing of consequence to acquire them (not to mention that pick) i jus feel like that's pretty good value.

Return to Articles Discussion