The Intrinsic Limitations Of The Becky Hammon 'Skipped The Line' Discussion

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

The Intrinsic Limitations Of The Becky Hammon 'Skipped The Line' Discussion 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Last week, with the playoffs still in low gear, but the dial hovering near 3000 rpms, it was reported Becky Hammon would interview with the Milwaukee Bucks for their head-coaching vacancy. The NBA Twittersphere leapt with excitement at the news because NBA fans are, on the whole, very progressive. It’s a diverse league that’s overwhelmingly African-American with more than a smattering of foreign-born exports dotting NBA rosters. That translates to the crowd, too, with NBA audiences overwhelmingly leaning left. The NBA’s focus on inclusivity was trumpeted further when they, along with the WNBA, partnered with LeanIn.org to support equality at home and in the workplace. Becky Hammon personifies that lean, so most around the league were justifiably excited the Bucks were speaking with her about possibly replacing interim coach and Basketball Twitter punching bag, Joe Prunty.

However, there was an influential sect of NBA Twitter that seemed to think Hammon had “skipped the line,” i.e. she hadn’t followed the traditional path to a head coaching gig in the NBA and other, more deserving, candidates should get the opportunity before she did. The caveat to that argument is all the former NBA players who skipped the line: Mark Jackson, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd (Milwaukee’s coach earlier this year) and a host of others have all gone from playing to head coaching without the usual time spent as an assistant or a head coach at a lower level (a top college program, or the G League). The breakdown seemed to stem from the fact that Hammon played in the WNBA, which isn’t the same as playing in the NBA.

Race was also brought up (Hammon is white). The idea was that there are more experienced assistants who weren’t even invited to interview with the Bucks, and who also happen to have a darker skin pigment. This entire exchange is important and shouldn’t be disregarded as sexist, or racist, or some combination of both. Discussion is almost always a good thing because it means the participants are actively trying to understand a complicated concept rather than fall back on an easy answer or––to use more recognizable parlance for our time––take. But discussion is different than Twitter.

The response on Twitter to the “skipped the line” take was laden with the type of furor and recriminations you see when people tweet about politics (or TV shows, or movies, or animals, or the best cereal, or whether a hot dog is a sandwich, or––we could go on, but that’s another piece, one I will never write). Milwaukee’s decision to interview Hammon for the head coaching job became a polarizing subject because of this blowback. Because it’s not wrong, but neither is the very real progress that Hammon was asked to interview.

Nevertheless, like most conversations around race and identity, there was a lot left unsaid during this dialogue. Tone, countenance, body language and all the imperceptible cues we use to communicate with each other get lost when an exchange happens in 280 characters or less between two people who don’t know anything about each other––save a specious, ever-changing bio, an easily misunderstood avatar, and whatever other context-free information you glean from looking at old tweets––and aren’t even facing each other in the same place (why do you think a growing number of writers and reporters automatically delete their tweets every few days?).

By all accounts, Becky Hammon is a terrific assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs. She’s also an all-time WNBA star who has lived the game. Besides all that, she’s a second-row NBA coach, which is literally where she sits during Spurs games, but figuratively speaking, it’s the rung she occupies (for now!) in the San Antonio coaching ladder. Maybe after former first-row assistant, James Borrego, was hired to coach the Hornets, Hammon will be promoted to the first row for next season. I hope so.

Running right alongside that is the explicit need for more head coaches of color in the NBA. For a sports league that’s made up of over 75 percent black players, 19 of the 25 occupied coaching positions in the NBA belong to white men. That’s almost exactly the inverse of the players. For such a progressive league, that’s uncomfortably incongruent. So, I get where the “skipped the line” thinking comes from.

Except, Becky Hammon simply interviewed for a job. She wasn’t offered one. And even if she was, does the glaring shortage of minority coaches, many of whom possess a more fully realized resume, automatically disqualify Hammon from taking the gig? When did NBA coaching turn into a perfect meritocracy. When did anything in America, save a Horatio Alger story? Does it mean she shouldn’t even go to the interview? Doesn’t it sound a little short-sighted to tell the only female assistant coach in NBA history to wait for her turn at the next level?

I don’t know the answers to any of these question. They are hard questions that might not even have answers, at least not enough to sate the people disagreeing about this subject. But I can tell you that Twitter isn’t the place to have the discussion. It never is.

jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Re: The Intrinsic Limitations Of The Becky Hammon 'Skipped The Line' Discussion 

Post#2 » by jstudabaka » Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Getting an interview ain't that serious. Kenny Smith got an interview for goodness sake.
SwingMan1938
Junior
And1: 246

Post#3 » by SwingMan1938 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:14 am

I'm a Conservative who's been calling for Becky Hammon to coach my Suns since I saw her in action heading the Spurs' summer league team in 2015 - just about the best organized and prepared summer league team I've ever witnessed.

So - what's it say for such a "progressive" league that it's so mysoginistic and bigoted as to hold a competent white woman back on the bench in favor of letting dopes like Byron Scott, Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson jump right from player to *head* coach?

Look, Spencer - your modern leftist bloomers are showing. Do the rest of us a favor and quit injecting politics into everything you and your ilk come across.
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#4 » by chipchipperson » Mon May 14, 2018 2:02 pm

I can't even force myself to read this **** thing.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#5 » by theman » Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

SwingMan1938 wrote:I'm a Conservative who's been calling for Becky Hammon to coach my Suns since I saw her in action heading the Spurs' summer league team in 2015 - just about the best organized and prepared summer league team I've ever witnessed.

So - what's it say for such a "progressive" league that it's so mysoginistic and bigoted as to hold a competent white woman back on the bench in favor of letting dopes like Byron Scott, Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson jump right from player to *head* coach?

Look, Spencer - your modern leftist bloomers are showing. Do the rest of us a favor and quit injecting politics into everything you and your ilk come across.

The writer seems to want to have it both ways. He thinks that despite not having any experience playing in the NBA that Hammond would be a good coach.
Becky Hammon personifies that lean, so most around the league were justifiably excited the Bucks were speaking with her about possibly replacing interim coach and Basketball Twitter punching bag, Joe Prunty.

By all accounts, Becky Hammon is a terrific assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs.

Yet he also thinks that the racial make up head coaches should reflect the racial make up of the league.
Running right alongside that is the explicit need for more head coaches of color in the NBA. For a sports league that’s made up of over 75 percent black players, 19 of the 25 occupied coaching positions in the NBA belong to white men. That’s almost exactly the inverse of the players. For such a progressive league, that’s uncomfortably incongruent.

Why should the make up of head coaches match the racial make up of the players? The only assumption would be that the only way to be a good coach is to have played in the league. But why? The skill sets need for being a player and being a coach are completely different.

Dwayne Casey was voted by his fellow coaches as coach of the year. He never played in the NBA. Gregg Popovich is considered one of the best coaches in the league; he never played in the NBA. The same holds true for Brad Stevens.

If 19 of 25 head coaches are white, then African Americans are over represented in those ranks. Using the 19/25 number and assuming all other head coaches are African American there would be 6/25 African American coaches or 24 percent. This is exactly double the percentage of African Americans as a whole.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
My2CentsR
Senior
And1: 303

Post#6 » by My2CentsR » Mon May 14, 2018 3:26 pm

I doubt the Bucks would hire her just to seem progressive. This is a business, and the novelty of a female coach will wear off quickly if it doesn't translate into wins. If they hire her, that means they think she is talented enough to make the team better. Only if that happens will the gender factor (potentially) translate into consistent new revenue.

As a female fan, I'm wishing her the best. A 6x WNBA all star, head coach for the Spurs NBA summer league, and assistant coach for one of the best coaches in the business seems like plenty qualifications for me. Furthermore, I think this article is a hyperbole, she's really not that polarizing.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,550

Post#7 » by Harry Garris » Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Running right alongside that is the explicit need for more head coaches of color in the NBA. For a sports league that’s made up of over 75 percent black players, 19 of the 25 occupied coaching positions in the NBA belong to white men. That’s almost exactly the inverse of the players. For such a progressive league, that’s uncomfortably incongruent.

It always has to come down to identity politics, doesn't it? I thought this would be fairly obvious to most people, but the reason why the league is 75% black but the league's coaches are only 24% black is because playing ability is not directly related to coaching ability. If great players made great coaches this would be a valid point. But they don't. Coaching ability is likely not tied to race in any way whatsoever. Also I believe the average NBA player is a mature enough adult to handle someone being their coach who may not have the same skin tone as them.
SwingMan1938
Junior

Post#8 » by SwingMan1938 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 am

theman wrote:
SwingMan1938 wrote:I'm a Conservative who's been calling for Becky Hammon to coach my Suns since I saw her in action heading the Spurs' summer league team in 2015 - just about the best organized and prepared summer league team I've ever witnessed.

The writer seems to want to have it both ways. He thinks that despite not having any experience playing in the NBA that Hammond would be a good coach.

I hear ya - just that I (and most of the rest of the country) are so sick and damn tired of the identity politics that would-be SJW posers like Spencer here incessantly try to push. By his fundamentally racist logic (not surprising for literal regressive "progressives" like Spencer Lund), only blacks should play/coach basketball & football, only Cubans should play/coach baseball and only whites should play/coach hockey.

See, Spencer's pretzeled himself into a conundrum here - trying to root for a white woman at the potential cost of a black man/woman getting a head coaching gig. That's what happens when you look at people as groups as opposed to individuals.....
FozzyK
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by FozzyK » Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Do you just get away with saying "NBA audiences leaning left"? With the money people pay to simply enter a bball court? Why is this article still available on the website?
Orlock78
Junior
And1: 10

Post#10 » by Orlock78 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:11 pm

It says a lot that in the entirety of a 9 paragraph article about Becky Hammon as a potential coach, the only thing said about her ABILITY was "By all accounts, Becky Hammon is a terrific assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs." Seriously?? Who gives a crap what color her skin is or what’s between her legs?? The only thing the Bucks should be concerned with is "Can she coach" and "Is she a good fit for this team?”. The rest of the crap in that article is just identity politics!
capwolf
Bench Warmer
And1: 216

Post#11 » by capwolf » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

My2CentsR wrote:I doubt the Bucks would hire her just to seem progressive. This is a business, and the novelty of a female coach will wear off quickly if it doesn't translate into wins. If they hire her, that means they think she is talented enough to make the team better. Only if that happens will the gender factor (potentially) translate into consistent new revenue.

As a female fan, I'm wishing her the best. A 6x WNBA all star, head coach for the Spurs NBA summer league, and assistant coach for one of the best coaches in the business seems like plenty qualifications for me. Furthermore, I think this article is a hyperbole, she's really not that polarizing.

"Summer league head coach"....seriously?
Madgrinch knows more about basketball than me......
F'ing sig bets smh.......
My2CentsR
Senior
And1: 303

Post#12 » by My2CentsR » Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

capwolf wrote:
My2CentsR wrote:I doubt the Bucks would hire her just to seem progressive. This is a business, and the novelty of a female coach will wear off quickly if it doesn't translate into wins. If they hire her, that means they think she is talented enough to make the team better. Only if that happens will the gender factor (potentially) translate into consistent new revenue.

"Summer league head coach"....seriously?

That was an extra accolade I threw in there b/c many coaches don't have it. Let's spell this out for you in case you didn't see it: Assistant coach to Popovich, to many, one of the best coaches in bball history. How many assistant to head NBA coaches can say that?
Ecmic
Pro Prospect
And1: 804

Post#13 » by Ecmic » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Harry Garris wrote:

It always has to come down to identity politics, doesn't it? I thought this would be fairly obvious to most people, but the reason why the league is 75% black but the league's coaches are only 24% black is because playing ability is not directly related to coaching ability. If great players made great coaches this would be a valid point. But they don't. Coaching ability is likely not tied to race in any way whatsoever. Also I believe the average NBA player is a mature enough adult to handle someone being their coach who may not have the same skin tone as them.

Maybe the author is looking at it from the wrong angle? Maybe, in actuality, there is an "explicit need" for more white players in the NBA?

Nah, the author would never make such a claim, because it is patently ridiculous.

Yet here he is, with this trash post.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#14 » by Donnyxc » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

You guys realize the point of his article was to get a reaction via the very discussion and points you are making?
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 pm

The author wrote "NBA fans are, on the whole, very progressive." This has nothing to do with General Management hiring the dopes (you are right about that). Just because someone writes "progressive" doesn't mean his opinion is, so I wouldn't just selectively take that word and apply it to the author's entire writing.

I would agree that most NBA fans I know are very left-leaning. Doesn't mean all are, and it doesn't make a difference to me. What I take exception to is the particular Republican notion that the "left injects politics" into everything. That's just not true, and is a political ploy by Conservatives to target uneducated rural counties to make the left seem like they are trying to control how they think. You must not know many liberal folks if you actually think that.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#16 » by SAKURABA216 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm

What an obnoxious title for this article lol.
SwingMan1938
Junior

Post#17 » by SwingMan1938 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 am

Donnyxc wrote:What I take exception to is the particular Republican notion that the "left injects politics" into everything. That's just not true, and is a political ploy by Conservatives to target uneducated rural counties to make the left seem like they are trying to control how they think. You must not know many liberal folks if you actually think that.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, Donnyxc - I've been witness to 11 years of it from the modern left. If they could, they'd inject it into how someone breathes - "Slow, even pace. Must be a racist Republican".

A prime example is mass shootings. The *first thing* the modern left inquires about is not about the well-being of the victims - but, rather, turbo-digging into what political affiliation *and* race the suspect is and *pray* that the man/woman is a white, "right wing maniac" in a rush to claim moral ground, as it's all party first, everything else (including country) second with the modern left.

Their bottom line, their *whole* endgame, is votes - make *no* mistake about that.

That said, there's a reason I make it a point to distinguish that I'm talking about the *modern* left, as you seem to me like someone from the old school left who actually tries to foster discussion as opposed to trying to shout down those with different views by cackling *RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!!", so if you thought I was referring to you with my commentary about the modern left, my apologies.

But please don't lump me in with the veritable horse trough of pu$$ies that still comprise the Republican party at large - I split with them as a teen when they decided to run H.W. and Limbaugh started playing waterboy for them, for pete's sake.....
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Mon May 21, 2018 3:19 pm

SwingMan1938 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:What I take exception to is the particular Republican notion that the "left injects politics" into everything. That's just not true, and is a political ploy by Conservatives to target uneducated rural counties to make the left seem like they are trying to control how they think. You must not know many liberal folks if you actually think that.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, Donnyxc - I've been witness to 11 years of it from the modern left. If they could, they'd inject it into how someone breathes - "Slow, even pace. Must be a racist Republican".

A prime example is mass shootings. The *first thing* the modern left inquires about is not about the well-being of the victims - but, rather, turbo-digging into what political affiliation *and* race the suspect is and *pray* that the man/woman is a white, "right wing maniac" in a rush to claim moral ground, as it's all party first, everything else (including country) second with the modern left.

Their bottom line, their *whole* endgame, is votes - make *no* mistake about that.

That said, there's a reason I make it a point to distinguish that I'm talking about the *modern* left, as you seem to me like someone from the old school left who actually tries to foster discussion as opposed to trying to shout down those with different views by cackling *RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!!", so if you thought I was referring to you with my commentary about the modern left, my apologies.

But please don't lump me in with the veritable horse trough of pu$$ies that still comprise the Republican party at large - I split with them as a teen when they decided to run H.W. and Limbaugh started playing waterboy for them, for pete's sake.....

Respect you taking the time to explain it. I think we can find common ground in being fed up with the status quo.

Return to Articles Discussion