The Warriors Are Not Normal

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

The Warriors Are Not Normal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:15 pm

It is hard to overstate what the Golden State Warriors are. Their 73 regular season wins in the 15-16 season (a mark they came to before adding Kevin Durant to the roster) rose them to a level of excellence that has since brought them into conversations about The Greatest Teams Of All Time. The most obvious team to compare them to, in this context, are the Chicago Bulls of the 1990s, with whom they share the link of head coach Steve Kerr, then a reserve shooting guard. For the Bulls to have had the contemporary Warriors’ level of talent relative to the rest of the league, however, Shaquille O’Neal or Hakeem Olajuwon would have needed to join their roster to replace Luc Longley after they won 72 games and a title in the 95-96 season. 

That would have been, in no uncertain terms, insane, and Durant joining the Warriors is just as bonkers in practice as that hypothetical is in imagination. The results of a historically effective team adding one of the best players the sport has ever seen have been anomalous to say the least. This is not normal! Durant, along with everyone else alive, is free to make whatever non-violent decision he likes, so noting the unprecedented competitive staleness that he has ushered in should not be taken as a moral assault, and (completely unnecessary) defenses of his decision and of the Warriors’ consecutive championship marches should likely re-direct their energy; you don’t need to glorify people who have hacked the rivers of glory to run into only their own homes. The spirit of self-appointed Warriors defenders, as things are, almost uniformly finds itself beefing up the same principles that scorched-earth libertarians evoke to make deregulation sound righteous. 

In the case of some fans, the intersection between stanning for the Warriors and transcribing Ayn Rand may not be an accident—certainly many über-wealthy denizens of the region they play for compile a kind of wealth that fundamentally depends upon extremely unchecked capitalism. It is increasingly unfeasible to live anywhere near the Warriors without this being the case. For many Warriors lovers, though, the progressively strenuous task of building an argument that makes them seem like a normal team with any kind of historical parallel has warped their rhetoric into something they would have previously disavowed.

This is not say: “look at these idiots, becoming the thing that they hated.” Anyone who grew up loving a team would readily follow them into robust victory in whatever form it took, and anyone who didn’t grow up with these Warriors is subject to fall in love with how incredibly well they play the game of basketball. What’s curious is the consistently failing diagnoses of what the Warriors are—a goliath the likes of which we’ve never and, arguably, the likes of which no one has ever even attempted to construct—and the need within their fandom to defend their incomparable dominance against its critics. 

It is okay to enjoy the victories of the stronger competitor (everyone has done this, at some point), but to follow that competitor around and tell its victims’ supporters that they are wrong to ever question the premise of their surrogate fighter, this belies a level of devotion that is bloody madness! To watch the Warriors’ ambition turn the NBA into something else (often termed, by their greatest haters, as having “ruined basketball”) and insist to the skeptics, to those still holding onto older versions of the league, that they are wrong to not like change and wrong to not appreciate this new kingdom shows a want to eradicate context.  

Durant going to Golden State transformed the scope of what an NBA team can be. It has also, in the eyes of many, diminished the meaning of an NBA championship. This notion is obviously a value judgment, subject to the individual perception of anyone capable of considering notions, but what’s objectively true is that Durant and the Warriors have shown a path toward a title that is wholly new in its elision of competitive resistance. They have chosen to aggressively push the boundaries of how good a team can be. The closest comparisons we can find for this level of superteamdom involve franchises getting bargains on formerly dominant ballers who had played past their peaks; Karl Malone and Gary Payton joining the Los Angeles Lakers comes to mind, as does Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen joining the Houston Rockets. These were small-window scenarios, narrow gambits against time that did not ultimately work. Never has such a readymade contender added such a prime time superstar, and stacked itself so much higher than the rest of the league, as the Warriors have with Durant. 

The hope for the haters is that what the Warriors have done, in setting the carrot so far ahead of the rest of the pack, has not elevated only them but the breadth of what a squad can be, and in a way that anyone is able to emulate. LeBron James, fresh off two losses to the Warriors in the Finals and still miles ahead of the rest of the league as an individual talent, has an opportunity to sew together a true Warriors equivalent on the open market this summer. Such a composition would require massive sacrifice on the part of at least one major player, though, and crazy levels of managerial shrewdness, and also a ton of good luck—the Warriors have had enough of this shrewdness and luck to avoid needing too much sacrifice. Until LeBron or anyone else can replicate the intersection of fortune and malice that the Warriors have shown us, we will stay in a waiting game that has victory pre-ordained and intrigue coming far away from the court.

Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Re: The Warriors Are Not Normal 

Post#2 » by Badbobby » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you Op. I wish Warriors fans would just say, “Yes, our team is stacked. Good luck trying to beat us!” and be done with it. You make some fantastic points here that can help the rest of us non-warriors fans deal emotionally with the current state of the league and the skewed competitive balance.
oaklandblazers
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by oaklandblazers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 am

Warriors drafted their core, 3 allstars, Curry, Green, Thompson. If Bulls acquired Shaq along with Pippen then only 1 player drafted (Jordan). So no real comparison.
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,185

Post#4 » by Biff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:21 am

oaklandblazers wrote:Warriors drafted their core, 3 allstars, Curry, Green, Thompson. If Bulls acquired Shaq along with Pippen then only 1 player drafted (Jordan). So no real comparison.

Pippen was a draft day trade so it's not like the Bulls knew what they were getting. Nice try though.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 pm

It has also, in the eyes of many, diminished the meaning of an NBA championship.

I disagree. The difference is the path taken. The Meaning and significance has not changed. No one is putting asteriks around the Warriors for winning their championships. They were the best team.

The asterik is being placed at the player level. Kevin will always be remembered as someone who left OKC for GSW. In great player conversations he is always going to have that follow him. No matter if he is a 2x or 6x champion. And I love KD's game.

It's important to separate the value of a championship from what it requires to be a champion. No one is diminishing the meaning of the Dallas Maverick's 2011 championship, for example.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
PaulGaston
Junior
And1: 155

Post#6 » by PaulGaston » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:43 am

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm

I find it so weird the two parallel narratives that exist today in NBA fandom.

On the one hand the Warriors are unfair, "breaking the NBA", a cheat code.

On the other hand, the Warriors are the luckiest team. Everything breaks for them (pun intended), whether it's Kyrie a couple years ago, Kawhi last year, CP3's hammie, and even LeBron's hand. And it's not only injuries! The refs and the NBA itself are co-conspirators with the Warriors propping up this dynasty.

Which is it?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Badbobby wrote:Thank you Op. I wish Warriors fans would just say, “Yes, our team is stacked. Good luck trying to beat us!” and be done with it.

I'm a Warriors fan. I've been saying this for a while. Your welcome?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#9 » by mawbsta » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:53 pm

You're analogy is flawed. The Bulls were THAT good WITHOUT Shaq, and largely, WITHOUT a bench. Against much harder competition, in a tougher era.

A better analogy, would be "imagine Golden State traded Iguodala, West, Livingston for Kendrick Perkins, Mario Chalmers and Brandon Wright, and see if they can still win 73 games."

Because that is the kind of bench the Bulls had to work with.

Dickie Simpkins
Jud Buechler
Randy Brown
Bill Wennington
John Salley

Another more accurate analogy would be, "imagine if the 72-win Bulls went out and signed Grant Hill as a free agent..."

Beyond that, there is no way in hell you are taking Curry, Durant, Green and Thompson over Michael, Scottie, Dennis and Kukoc. Not happening now, nor ever.

Return to Articles Discussion