Twelve Characters: Kyrie Irving

RealGM Articles
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Twelve Characters: Kyrie Irving 

Post#1 » by RealGM Articles » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 pm

The Times headline is “Most N.B.A. Players Are Vaccinated, but Skeptics Speak Out.” It would be interesting to see what the second part of that looked like, but that’s not really what’s happening. Ninety percent of NBA players and 100 percent of coaches and refs and front office folks have gotten at least one jab, and good for them, enduring a minor inconvenience to keep themselves and the people around them safe. A few players, including Karl-Anthony Towns and Jrue Holiday, have even taken the extra step of cutting pro-vaccine ads. The vaccine skeptics, meanwhile, are on the record but either evasive or incoherent.

Kyrie Irving, volume beliefs-haver: “Honestly, I’d like to keep [my vaccination status] private. I’m a human being first. Obviously living in this public sphere it’s just a lot of questions about what’s going on in the world of Kyrie. I think I just would love to just keep that private, handle it the right way with my team and go forward together with the plan.”

Jonathan Isaac: “I am not anti-vax, I’m not anti-medicine, I am not anti-science… But with that being said, it is my belief that the vaccine status of every person should be their own choice. Completely up to them without bullying, without being pressured, without being forced into doing so. I’m not ashamed to say that I’m uncomfortable with taking the vaccine at this time.” 

Andrew Wiggins: “[I’m] just going to keep fighting for what I believe, whether it's one thing or another, get the vaccination or not get the vaccination, who knows, like I'm just going to keep fighting for what I believe and what I believe is right. What's right to one person isn't right to the other, you know, vice versa.” 

Of the three, Isaac comes off the best only for his honesty, whatever that’s worth. In a world of mendacious villains, a religious zealot laying bare his own ignorance and selfishness is refreshing—for a second or two, before you think through the consequences of the choice he so thoroughly owns. Kyrie and Wiggins are just as bad as Isaac, and cowards to boot. It’s tricky to figure out what famous athletes owe us, the proper ratio of give and get for people who didn’t ask to be the center of attention just for being great at their sport, but who also obviously enjoy fame’s perks—not least of all leveraging their notability to sell us shoes and insurance and soft drinks. 

The vaccine stuff is exceedingly straightforward, because getting vaccinated is not strictly a personal choice. It’s a decision that affects your friends, colleagues, and random passersby on the street. It is much more like paying your taxes than buying a home. An obligation, barring some extraordinary circumstance. And when you don’t meet your obligations as a member of society, especially when you have a considerably larger platform than most people do, you deserve to be questioned and bullied and harassed and cajoled. You deserve every bit of flak you catch. You are not entitled to just keep it private. It has reached the point where it is now other people’s business. 

There are much broader forces at play here, some of them undoubtedly operating upon Kyrie and the vax-agnostic gang’s minds. The mainstream media go-to phrase is eroding trust in institutions, which is insidious framing out of the officer-involved shooting school of grammar. Public trust in institutions—governments, journalistic outlets, the American Vatican of corporate executives—has dwindled to practically nothing in recent years due to decades of sabotage, corruption, cynicism, and incompetence. It’s not something that has happened. It has been allowed to happen; it has happened in many cases by design.

This isn’t an issue for NBA players, but if you’re one of the many Americans who lives paycheck to paycheck, and can’t afford a surprise expense of any real size, maybe you’re hearing that the vaccine is free but you’re unsure, because in your experience no medical procedure has ever been free. There is always—sometimes weeks or months later—a bill, occasionally an alarmingly large one that doesn’t seem to align at all with the scale of the treatment you’ve received. So maybe you skip the vaccine, for fear of being charged a figure you can’t pay. That’s not trust passively eroding. It’s a kind of intelligence, a recognition of how the American medical system works, who decides its function and who benefits from it. It is an industry that extracts funds and only incidentally, incompletely treats its customers. Why would they help you out for free? When has that ever happened before?

If Kyrie or Wiggins or Isaac want to lead a discussion about that kind of thing, by all means: fire away. Let’s talk about dilapidated public programs, politicians who only look out for themselves, media that exists to run interference for its corporate sponsors, a fissuring reality seized upon by opportunists trying to make a buck. That’s not what they’re doing. They’re barely talking past their own noses, essentially saying I don’t want to do this thing and you can’t make me. In fact, it’s offensive that you’re even asking me about it. There’s a really good chance that petulance, more than anything else, is the motivating factor. Especially with Kyrie, who is married to his own difficulty, at times affecting the tone of the worst kind of college freshman, the guy in the seminar everyone hates, who is constantly just playing devil’s advocate. He frequently confuses genuinely interrogating conventional wisdom—which should be interrogated!—with facile protest. Lots of his opinions, some of which are bracingly progressive almost by accident, amount to nothing more than no, it’s not. It is immensely frustrating, his signature blend of revolutionary sentiment and abject laziness. You can’t take him seriously, but also have to, because he’s an important person. 

Whether players who haven’t yet gotten their vaccine shots play in certain games or not doesn’t interest me. Kyrie could screw up a Nets title run. Wiggins might get traded out of vax-mandatory San Francisco. We’ll see what happens; the season is still several weeks away. What concerns me is that Kyrie and Wiggins and their ilk’s blithe selfish stance on this issue speaks to one of the biggest problems of our age: that we are far too deep in our own stuff, wholly unable to help each other. You get only what you have the leverage to negotiate, and cooperation is for suckers. Everything, even decisions that might hurt other people, is hand-waived away as a personal choice, and that’s the end of it. 

But of course that’s not the case. It’s not up to you, where you stop and the rest of the world begins. Insisting, objecting, puffing on your bubble pipe: it doesn’t erase your moral debts. This obviously doesn’t bother the vaccine skeptics. And we have no way to hold them accountable, or even make them make sense. On Monday they thanked everybody and walked away from the microphones, having cleared nothing but their own throats.

Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: Twelve Characters: Kyrie Irving 

Post#2 » by Gooner » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:54 am

The only thing that's selfish here is trying to put pressure on people to put something in their body when they don't want it.
Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#3 » by Starks » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:52 pm

Gooner wrote:The only thing that's selfish here is trying to put pressure on people to put something in their body when they don't want it.

Excatly, used to like this author's articles, but this one is so full of condescension, shaming and judgement that I frankly don't want to read any of his work anymore, it's disgusting and worrying.

Same trend I've been seeing for weeks and months: people who are happy getting vaccinated will go out of their way to insult people who are not, trying to shame them, openly calling them ignorant and selfish. It still baffles me how everything is unfolding.

No tolerance for free will anymore, only pure coercion and hate. Reminds me of the worst times this world has seen.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Gooner » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:29 pm

Starks wrote:
Gooner wrote:The only thing that's selfish here is trying to put pressure on people to put something in their body when they don't want it.

Excatly, used to like this author's articles, but this one is so full of condescension, shaming and judgement that I frankly don't want to read any of his work anymore, it's disgusting and worrying.

Same trend I've been seeing for weeks and months: people who are happy getting vaccinated will go out of their way to insult people who are not, trying to shame them, openly calling them ignorant and selfish. It still baffles me how everything is unfolding.

No tolerance for free will anymore, only pure coercion and hate. Reminds me of the worst times this world has seen.

I haven't heard of this author before, and I don't even know if this is his real opinion. There is an agenda here that everybody in the media has to follow. They should stay in their lane because nobody trusts them or cares about their opinion.
DFan
Rookie
And1: 740

Post#5 » by DFan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:56 am

Absolutely. I don't know who this writer is, but this guy comes off as very hateful to those of us who choose not to take the vax.
Sledman
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#6 » by Sledman » Mon Oct 4, 2021 5:41 pm

Seriously - you have both been on this site for awhile and you want to claim you don't know Colin's stuff? I call BS. It's just a sideways attempt to be condescending yourselves.

Colin is the best writer on here by a long shot. His writing stands out because of it's depth and commentary on the human condition. If you somehow are an avid reader of this site and haven't seen his numerous previous articles I encourage you to check them out.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#7 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Oct 9, 2021 1:26 am

What happened to my body my choice? To claim Kyrie is selfish because he doesn't fall in line like sheep is crazy talk. Let the man play ball without getting the jab! People want the shot good go get it, people don't want to shot, good don't get it. Calling him selfish is just stupid none sense. I think people who get abortions are selfish and that is flat out killing someone else. Kyrie not getting the shot isn't stopping others from getting the vaccine and if it works like they preach it shouldn't matter if others choose not to get it? They die from Covid it was there choice to not getting the shot. LET THE MAN PLAY BALL.
Relaxo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Relaxo » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:27 am

The writer says unvaccinated players should be “bullied, harassed, and cajoled with.” I don’t care if Colin is a good writer. Those are stupid, ignorant words and don’t help the matter.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Gooner » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:36 am

Relaxo wrote:The writer says unvaccinated players should be “bullied, harassed, and cajoled with.” I don’t care if Colin is a good writer. Those are stupid, ignorant words and don’t help the matter.

He is a pawn.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#10 » by jstudabaka » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:17 pm

Relaxo wrote:The writer says unvaccinated players should be “bullied, harassed, and cajoled with.” I don’t care if Colin is a good writer. Those are stupid, ignorant words and don’t help the matter.

Nothing ignorant about it. This pandemic has continued to rage in the US largely because people have low information and media literacy keeping them from getting a simple shot. I have zero respect for powerful wealthy people such as professional athletes helping to perpetuate destructive ideas and attitudes.

Return to Articles Discussion