Piazza To Talk With Cespedes About Being Star In New York

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Piazza To Talk With Cespedes About Being Star In New York 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Mike Piazza plans to talk with Yoenis Cespedes at New York Mets camp about how to handle being a star in the city.

"I told him that when I talk to him, I'm going to tell him that there's going to be a lot of pressure on him this year. He's going to be expected to do a lot. And I have a little bit of experience knowing that pressure," Piazza said. "And I hope he's able to discipline himself and really refine his strike zone and realize that when the pitchers are not pitching to him, he's got to take his walks. I think you saw that in the World Series a little bit. He just got too anxious and was trying to do too much and was just swinging, trying to hit the ball out of the stadium. I would tell him, 'Look, you don't have to hit the ball out of the stadium. You just have to hit it over the wall. Or hit it off the wall is fine.' That happens sometimes.

"Here's a kid, he came from Cuba. He grew up completely different than what we did. So handling all that and coming to the States, it's culturally different for him. I think we need to be patient and understand."

Via Adam Rubin/ESPN

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion