Mets Fire Mickey Callaway As Manager

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mets Fire Mickey Callaway As Manager 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:27 pm

The New York Mets have fired Mickey Callaway as manager.

The Mets had an 86-76 record fueled by a second half surge.

\"We want to thank Mickey for his consistent work ethic and dedication over the last two seasons and I\'m certain these characteristics will serve him well in his next opportunity,\" Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in a statement. \"A decision like this is never easy. However, we believe it is in the best interest of the franchise at this time.\"

Via ESPN

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Mets Fire Mickey Callaway As Manager 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:57 pm

I agree with this move, although it seems hasty after the big improvement from last year. I hope it's because they are already set in bringing in Joe Girardi or Joe Madden, because if not, why even fire him? You can't just bring in another no name prospect coach, especially when the Mets main problem this year was a talent issue (Diaz blowing saves).
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:54 am

I believe a good majority of fans expected this move. However, the focus needs to be turned to BVW himself now.

Bringing in Cano, Diaz and Lowrie was disastrous. Trading for Stroman, who relies heavily on his teams defense (Mets were ranked in the bottom tier in fielding), was questionable at best. Not capitalizing on Wheeler’s resurgence in a trade echoes the Mets poor management of buy low, sell high (i.e. Matt Harvey). Etc, etc, etc.

The rumors that the front office made in-game decisions further undermines both BVW and the full Mets brass. Any “experienced” manager would Be wise to take a long look at this opportunity before coming on board.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#4 » by cheese318 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:40 am

Barcs wrote:I agree with this move, although it seems hasty after the big improvement from last year. I hope it's because they are already set in bringing in Joe Girardi or Joe Madden, because if not, why even fire him? You can't just bring in another no name prospect coach, especially when the Mets main problem this year was a talent issue (Diaz blowing saves).

I agree that this has to happen. But if we don’t sign Madden/Giradi and go for the bench coach from HOU I would be rather annoyed with the move. I doubt they sign Giradi/Madden based purely on contract. Owners are super cheap. So unless Brody has a trick up his sleeve not sure how he’ll get the wilponzi’s open up the checkbook
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#5 » by Barcs » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:32 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Barcs wrote:I agree with this move, although it seems hasty after the big improvement from last year. I hope it's because they are already set in bringing in Joe Girardi or Joe Madden, because if not, why even fire him? You can't just bring in another no name prospect coach, especially when the Mets main problem this year was a talent issue (Diaz blowing saves).

I agree that this has to happen. But if we don’t sign Madden/Giradi and go for the bench coach from HOU I would be rather annoyed with the move. I doubt they sign Giradi/Madden based purely on contract. Owners are super cheap. So unless Brody has a trick up his sleeve not sure how he’ll get the wilponzi’s open up the checkbook

Hopefully, BVW can convince them that a good manager along with fixing the bullpen could put them over the top. I heard they were open to spend a little more this year but I'm not sure how much.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion