Rob Manfred Hints At Major Punishment If Astros Found Guilty

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Rob Manfred Hints At Major Punishment If Astros Found Guilty 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Rob Manfred believes the recent sign-stealing scandal involves only the Houston Astros and that he could deliver major punishment beyond the standard fine and draft pick penalties if necessary.

While speaking Tuesday as the owners meetings began, Manfred called the allegations of technology-driven sign-stealing by the Astros \"the most serious matter.\"

\"Right now, we are focused on the information that we have with respect to the Astros,\" Manfred said. \"I\'m not going to speculate on whether other people are going to be involved. We\'ll deal with that if it happens, but I\'m not going to speculate about that. I have no reason to believe it extends beyond the Astros at this point in time.\"

The maximum penalties Manfred has handed out include a $2 million fine and loss of their first two 2017 draft picks after a St. Louis Cardinals employee illicitly accessed the Astros\' proprietary database, and a ban on international signings after an investigation into the Atlanta Braves\' practices in Latin America.

\"I\'m not going to speculate on what the appropriate discipline is,\" Manfred said. \"That depends on how the facts are established at the end of the investigation. The general warning I issued to the clubs, I stand by. It certainly could be all of those [past disciplinary actions], but my authority under the major league constitution would be broader than those things as well.\"

Via Jeff Passan/ESPN

BulletToothTony
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Rob Manfred Hints At Major Punishment If Astros Found Guilty 

Post#2 » by BulletToothTony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:01 pm

If guilty, take away their championship or put an asterisk on it. Manfred also needs to take away their offensive players stats from the postseason or put an asterisk on it. I really respected the Astros players (not Guriel) and Hinch but if they're guilty...wow. Just wow. All respect gone. Owner should be fined and if knew about it should be forced to sell the team. The mastermind(s) behind this should be banned from MLB too. Postseason ban too? I don't know what you do with players who were involved. Did they cheat during the regular season too? There's so many layers to this. What a disaster.

Also, it seems like Nolan Ryan and his son walked away just before this story went public. It makes me feel like Nolan had no idea and someone just tipped him off out of respect. I can't imagine Nolan Ryan would've been okay allowing them to cheat like that.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion