Pennsylvania Little League District Dropping \'Astros\'

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Pennsylvania Little League District Dropping \'Astros\' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 pm

A Little League director in Pennsylvania is sending a message to young players about the Houston Astros and their sign stealing.

\"Right now, in our leagues, the Astros are suspended,\" said Bob Bertoni, head of District 16/31 Little League.

Bertoni is recommending that no teams in the 23 leagues he oversees use the Astros team name this season.

\"I think about our Little League pledge; that\'s the first thing that comes to my mind. Part of the pledge is, \'I will play fair and strive to win,\'\" Bertoni said.

\"Our kids emulate and idolize major league players,\" he added. \"I don\'t think we as an organization should be idolizing teams that have decided not to play by the rules.\"

The Orange County Register reported last week that two Little League communities in Southern California banned the Astros name for the upcoming season.

Via ESPN

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Re: Pennsylvania Little League District Dropping \'Astros\' 

Post#2 » by the_process » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 pm

The pettiness of baseball knows no bounds.

Has there been one football team, anywhere, that has banned the use of the name Patriots? How about any of the teams that shattered records with PED users??

Too many sanctimoniously act like trying to cheat isn't part of the game. GTFO.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 pm

the_process wrote:The pettiness of baseball knows no bounds.

Has there been one football team, anywhere, that has banned the use of the name Patriots? How about any of the teams that shattered records with PED users??

Too many sanctimoniously act like trying to cheat isn't part of the game. GTFO.

It’s already mind numbing to constantly hear about this and Spring Training is not even under way.

I’m not sure I can go a full season of this nonsense.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,116

Post#4 » by Plutonashfan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:51 am

You 2 sound like big losers that condone this behavior. Shame on you both.
The Champ is HERE!!!
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:24 pm

Plutonashfan wrote:You 2 sound like big losers that condone this behavior. Shame on you both.

I’m not sure how a team name condones cheating. The franchise was established in 1962 as the Colt .45’s, switching to Astros in 1965. So the Astros name, and the players who have represented that name for over 50 years is going to be undone by this “scandal?”

Lucroy came out and said everyone knew this was going on. Tony LaRussa was stealing signs with the White Sox in the 80’s. I’m sure it’s happened before, between and it will happen again.

It’s not right, but it’s part of the game. I would never encourage it, but to believe anything is “pure” is ignorant. You must lead a bliss life.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Dan33185
Senior
And1: 901

Post#6 » by Dan33185 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Guess it's time to change the name of the Rose Bowl, Pete Rose bet on games 30+ years ago. Also time to change the name of the TV show "The Simpsons", as OJ Simpson has had a sordid history..
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#7 » by boston_fan_ct » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:49 pm

really, now reporting little league? guess the story is losing steam. yawn...

the naivety. people are shocked? PED use, illegal use of electronics, piping in sounds, corked bats, higher the pitching mound, scuffing baseballs, tampering with free agents. do you all honestly believe that all teams have not "cheated" in some way? the Astros just simply were stupid for being so blatant and believe it or not were penalized significantly for it.

move on.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion