Marcell Ozuna Regrets Passing On Cardinals\' Qualifying Offer

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Marcell Ozuna Regrets Passing On Cardinals\' Qualifying Offer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:37 pm

Marcel Ozuna signed a one-year, $18 million contract with the Atlanta Braves this winter.

Ozuna did so after rejecting the one-year, $17.8 million qualifying offer from the St. Louis Cardinals earlier in the offseason.

The outfielder expected to land a multiyear deal in free agency.

\"If I knew before it was going to happen like this, I would have taken it,\" Ozuna said of the qualifying offer. \"But I wanted to make sure I had a chance (at a contract) for my career.\"

He hit .241/.328/.472 last season.

\"If they offer a good offer, I would get it,\" Ozuna said. \"But they didn\'t do it. … I thought the Cardinals were going to offer something (early), but they didn\'t do that after I rejected the qualifying offer. So, I got patient. And I waited. And I talked to my agent a lot of the time. We were waiting – and then Atlanta was the team that gave me the opportunity for the one year and a good deal. I had to do that.\"

Via Derrick Goold/St. Louis Post-Dispatch

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Marcell Ozuna Regrets Passing On Cardinals\' Qualifying Offer 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:06 pm

This is an endearing story for the Braves franchise. You give a guy $18m when even his last team barely wanted him, and he regrets not taking less money and staying in St Louis.

Players need to learn how to say “no comment” more often.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion